What did you do to your TJ today?

Swapped out the dim sealed beam headlights for Hella H4/9003s. I'd left the new ones out in the Jeep overnight and quickly discovered that the rubber covers on the rear of the H4s need to be at least room temp to properly install. I set them on a floor vent inside and 15 minutes later, they popped right on there. I also switched the stock fog lights to yellow bulbs to reduce the glare coming back at me from the foglights. It started raining as I was finishing up so I didn't get a chance to check the alignment on the new lights, but they are definitely brighter.

Hopefully, I can get it out to the shop tomorrow and get back to work on the hitch receiver.

After installing manual hubs there are no vibrations up to 85 mph. Don't know yet about faster then that. Slightly less drivetrain noise because less is turning. The 16" Big Brake Kit is a substantial improvement over OEM brakes.

Thumbs up for both modifications.
Awesome.

~Installed new adjustable rear track bar (after beating the hell out of the axle mount that had been deformed by a relocation bracket) and flipped the rear shocks
~Brake inspection (rears ok, fronts shot).
~Removed all steering components and front track bar to figure out WTH the previous owner did to the mounts.
~Girlfriend power washed the wheels and tires I picked up at the salvage yard and vacuumed out all the broken glass from the rollover.
~Removed front fender flares.
~Removed the usable parts from the busted RF door.

Spent day driving around to a Car show...then picked up my welded ammo cans.....they look great I just need to grind down the welds now and start measuring for the hardbrake.....( this project is taking way longer that I wanted )

Reactions: ac_
After installing manual hubs there are no vibrations up to 85 mph. Don't know yet about faster then that. Slightly less drivetrain noise because less is turning. The 16" Big Brake Kit is a substantial improvement over OEM brakes.

Thumbs up for both modifications.
Any significant gas mileage savings?

Ok installed both drive shafts, radiator and shroud, K&N air filter, pulled distributor again to re aline the cam sensor, exhaust bolted back up, skid pan back on, all wires zip tied, all new heater hoses and radiator hoses, throttle cable hooked back up. New fluids in everything.

I then fired up the Golden 4.6 stroker up for the first time and did a 25 min cam break in. About to call it a night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Oscar
42RLE tranny, it was very easy, trust me I'm no mechanic, but I love wrenching, it was simple as dropping the transmission pan, I believe it was 13 bolts holding it in. Now you could just drop the pan, catch the fluid and measure the amount that you drain and refill with new , but I did a complete flush.there are some good write ups on how to do so, and you tube lol I can show you the process with pictures if you like, but I'm currently at work it would have to wait until the weekend. Here are a few pis of the pan dropped. Remember to get all your supplies, tranny filter, pan gasket, red RTV sealer, tranny fluid ect.View attachment 46986this black box inside the pan is the filte, make sure it come with an O-ring.View attachment 46987catching the old. After this we began the flush at the radiator. ( not the antifreeze, the transmission fluid ) I know this is all confusing, but I can explain better if your unable to find a write up or YouTube video, holler if any questions, I'll do my best to explain.

Could you help me find a good link to a video of this?? My 2004 Jeep TJ 4L 145k is doing the SAME thing... thanks!!!

2004 Jeep TJ 4L 145k

Replaced all new coil, spark plugs, oil pump, oil sending unit,m. Not much but it’s something.

Next weekend I’m going to drain the tranny, replace it’s filter, and replace with new oil obviously. (Reason why is that the 1-2 shifting process is “chunky” or lags... as if I don’t have a 1 at all...) so I’m trying to start at bottom of the barrel solutions. Really don’t want to replace a tranny.

With a trail ride planned this coming Saturday with the Jeep group I signed up for, I figured I should probably get my rear bumper tied in to the frame so I can use it for recovery if needed. I've only had the tie-ins since Thanksgiving!
View attachment 76842

Also..I have a broken bolt in my rear bumper mounting scheme. It's mostly drilled out now. I sprayed it down with kroil and I'm letting it set overnight to try and save the threads. Rusty but trusty, as they say in most used car ads around here.

View attachment 76843
I like those bumber supports where did u find them?

Took the Jeep up in the snow on the backside of Mt Hood. For her stuck for the first time, glad my buddy has a winch on his TJ.

Too much fun.

Spent day driving around to a Car show...then picked up my welded ammo cans.....they look great I just need to grind down the welds now and start measuring for the hardbrake.....( this project is taking way longer that I wanted )
Are those ducks OEM or aftermarket? Moparius Quackimus, i believe. Asking for a friend.

• Haha
Reactions: Oscar and Kiwi TJ
After seeing Devenr29's stereo, I had to get one myself. :D Got it yesterday and installed it today. I ran the mic wire thru the dash and up the windshield post and attached it to the roll bar cover. I know it probably won't work to well when the top is off, but I'm hoping it will be a good post when the top is up. I also put on my bumper end caps.

Oh, before I did all that I went and checked out the Cal 4Wheel Convention. Not what I thought it was going to be, LOL, but I got to see a couple Jeeps. I was hoping for more of a vendor type thing, where one could walk around the different booths and check out what vendors had to offer. Oh well, at least I ventured out on my own to it. :D I normally don't like to go to new things by myself and hubby wasn't available to go with. I'm thinking I'm not a "convention" type of person, more of a swap meet/car show person. :D

fullsizeoutput_34de.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_34dc.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_34da.jpeg

YFsJAxhzRraaPqKPbNGnog.jpg

xO3XHVYAQ8ih+wQezNQ2Hg.jpg

0EKMW%ruTmCiF4XMCjPYLA.jpg

After seeing Devenr29's stereo, I had to get one myself. :D Got it yesterday and installed it today. I ran the mic wire thru the dash and up the windshield post and attached it to the roll bar cover. I know it probably won't work to well when the top is off, but I'm hoping it will be a good post when the top is up. I also put on my bumper end caps.

Oh, before I did all that I went and checked out the Cal 4Wheel Convention. Not what I thought it was going to be, LOL, but I got to see a couple Jeeps. I was hoping for more of a vendor type thing, where one could walk around the different booths and check out what vendors had to offer. Oh well, at least I ventured out on my own to it. :D I normally don't like to go to new things by myself and hubby wasn't available to go with. I'm thinking I'm not a "convention" type of person, more of a swap meet/car show person. :D

View attachment 77672

View attachment 77673

View attachment 77674

View attachment 77675

View attachment 77676

View attachment 77677
suggestion? run the Mic wire under the roll bar cover to protect it

suggestion? run the Mic wire under the roll bar cover to protect it

I thought of that and was planning on it, but little did I know, the cover does not unzip or Velcro. It appears to be a solid piece. I then thought of maybe running a cloths line through it to pull the mic to the opening, but I was afraid of messing up the mic and I had already buttoned up the dash (for the second time, LOL, forgot to plug said mic in the first time). So I didn't want to undo the dash to unplug and then run the that end through the padding. I may try to get it through the padding before I start letting the top down.