What did you do to your TJ today?

Got the new Mopar hood latches today. Popped them on when I got home from work. You can see the tear in the one and also, how stretched out the originals were. Looking forward to some highway testing.

20200409_142455.jpg

20200409_170916.jpg

20200409_171258.jpg

I cut a 3” hole in the tub to solve the upper rear shock mount broken bolt issue. Then I welded a 11/16” nut on the stud and brought it out the top with an impact.

I’m still trying to decide if what I did was genius, lazy or half-assed.

I did save the piece I cut out to weld back in at a later date if the mood hits me.

Btw, Rancho 5000x ARE, in fact, all they are cracked up to be.

Here’s pics....

hole

View attachment 151470

Broken Stud out after welding

View attachment 151472
and New Rancho buttoned up.... pic from above! 😉

View attachment 151471
Lazy. Considering the tub could be lifted off the frame to gain easy access. Imagine cutting a hole in the tub to get to the front or rear yoke on a transfer case. Or the top bolt on a transmission...

• Haha
Reactions: Fixer6
So, it was a simple project to start, new catalytic converts and new ball joints. This led to, well there is a slight oil leak at the rear main, so new rear main, looking up while unhooking the 02 sensor I notice seepage from the rear of the valve cover so new valve cover gasket, when pulling out the axles out to do the ball joints I noticed one of the u-joints was shot, so new u joints ordered, then I noticed the ears were actually toast on one of the axle shafts, so new upgraded chromoly axles ordered, figured new axles should get new hub assemblies, then I figured since my amazon cart is so full might as well order the trans fluid and filter/gasket kit to finally install the temp gauge, and while I'm under the jeep might as well pull off the sliders sand and paint them, and since the sliders are off, might as well pull the rear bumper and tire carrier and add the bracing I've been planning to get around to, and since the rear tire carrier is off might as well move the license plate to the center of the rear carrier, and since I'm moving that might as well add the rear camera for the Atoto, and since I'm running wires might as well pull the carpet since I'll have the center console out to mount the trans gauge and add the sound deadening material to the tub.....

Yah, I noticed that’s the location for a lot of TJ’s that I see ‘for sale’ in lots, up here in the NE. Interesting how its that spot more often. Least from what Ive noticed.
The patches came in. I tackled the passenger side today. It fit really well, but my upside down MIG welding didn't go so good. I may have to get a local welder to touch it up.
20200410_161244.jpg

So, it was a simple project to start, new catalytic converts and new ball joints. This led to, well there is a slight oil leak at the rear main, so new rear main, looking up while unhooking the 02 sensor I notice seepage from the rear of the valve cover so new valve cover gasket, when pulling out the axles out to do the ball joints I noticed one of the u-joints was shot, so new u joints ordered, then I noticed the ears were actually toast on one of the axle shafts, so new upgraded chromoly axles ordered, figured new axles should get new hub assemblies, then I figured since my amazon cart is so full might as well order the trans fluid and filter/gasket kit to finally install the temp gauge, and while I'm under the jeep might as well pull off the sliders sand and paint them, and since the sliders are off, might as well pull the rear bumper and tire carrier and add the bracing I've been planning to get around to, and since the rear tire carrier is off might as well move the license plate to the center of the rear carrier, and since I'm moving that might as well add the rear camera for the Atoto, and since I'm running wires might as well pull the carpet since I'll have the center console out to mount the trans gauge and add the sound deadening material to the tub.....
J.ust E.mpty E.very P.ocket

Reactions: dschwes and matkal
Last edited:
Yes! Russell says you can’t over tighten these, umm so how do they explain my broken swivel. Broke right off. Russell did say they would replace it for free - shipping.

Finished the Savvy body lift yesterday. Replaced all the original body bushings with Crown bushings. Had to use the BFH to get a few of the new bolts through the lower portion of the new bushings. While removing the headlights of course one slipped out of my hand like it was greased and busted in the driveway. Plan on 1” MML today.

BBE6D644-CC0F-4BED-B24A-FCFFBAF631BC.jpeg

FAC13A6D-972F-45B4-9DF9-1D335EE5D1FD.jpeg