What did you do to your TJ today?

Installed a Joying 8.8” single-DIN Android floating screen head unit. The widescreen aspect ratio fits perfectly between the vents and HVAC controls, though I need to adjust the screen up a little. It has wired and wireless CarPlay, and looks and sounds great. And because it’s single DIN, I was able to keep my silver bezel.

DDC03A3B-D1E1-4A73-B1B5-88B5754661FB.jpeg

70A6CFF0-9494-42F7-8CAA-C76719F98F11.jpeg
8FDCB2E3-AB86-4468-B833-3678F1304DD6.jpeg
2BE6E884-C998-4CCA-9E2D-D0400E3D8B09.jpeg

Installed a Joying 8.8” single-DIN Android floating screen head unit. The widescreen aspect ratio fits perfectly between the vents and HVAC controls, though I need to adjust the screen up a little. It has wired and wireless CarPlay, and looks and sounds great. And because it’s single DIN, I was able to keep my silver bezel.

View attachment 181977
View attachment 181976View attachment 181978View attachment 181979

Does it shake while driving? Also, where did you get that single din black plastic insert?

My buddy is new to the Jeep world and he really wanted to take his doors off, so I had him pick up some dollies and we built a few more door dolly storage racks. Built one more for my self while I was at it. Ran into a snag with building the rack for the back doors on his 2020 JL, they taper at the bottom and they weight is towards the rear of the door so it wants to fall backwards. Unfortunately I ran out of wood so that will be fixed later. But it was nice getting to see his JL next to my LJ, still like mine better haha

20200807_114855.jpg
20200807_151557.jpg
20200805_194851.jpg
20200807_134303.jpg

My buddy is new to the Jeep world and he really wanted to take his doors off, so I had him pick up some dollies and we built a few more door dolly storage racks. Built one more for my self while I was at it. Ran into a snag with building the rack for the back doors on his 2020 JL, they taper at the bottom and they weight is towards the rear of the door so it wants to fall backwards. Unfortunately I ran out of wood so that will be fixed later. But it was nice getting to see his JL next to my LJ, still like mine better haha

View attachment 182164View attachment 182166View attachment 182165View attachment 182167
It always gets me just how much the JL's have grown when a side by side photo shows up.

Got a quote today to paint the front of my Jeep. The original owner lived in Texas and the whole front of the Jeep is chipped up from bugs. I covered the grill already. A paint place that's done perfect work matching the paint on my other Jeeps quoted me $608. Grille, fenders, hood, cowl and windshield frame. Hard decision when you're poor. View attachment 181594

View attachment 181591View attachment 181592View attachment 181593
Boggieman,

Imma thinkin that damage is not as permanent as you might believe and you might be able to restore it for just a few bucks...and some elbow equity. Test this in a small area to see if it dos the do. Important: don't do this in direct sun!
1 - Clean the areas with soap and water (don't want to be sanding the paint with dirt and dust :) ), then dry.
2 - Hit the area with some acetone...yep, acetone...you want to make sure you don't have polish/wax between you and the bug guts.
3 - Spray Turtle Wax Power Foam Bug and Tar Remover on the area and let it hang out for about 3 minutes. After 3 minutes or so, wipe it off with a microfiber towel and, if any major spots remain, do a little extra scrubbing.
4 - Rinse.
5 - Come back with another dampened microfiber towel and some Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish...trust me. Hit the spots of blemishes that remain to scrub them out and do a little bit of overall buffing in the whole area to keep it all smooooth. Work in a circular motion and don't let your cloth get all globbed up...rotate and/or rinse and wring out as necessary.
EDIT: Realized I left this out...let the Mothers dry to a haze and wipe off with a clean dry microfiber towel. You can then hit it with some gentle cleaner/windex and and onother towel to get rid of any residue.
6 - At this point, you should now have completely eliminated the bug marks. You can use a clay bar or some light-duty polish to enhance the shine but you should probably be good to just go for your fave quality wax and/or sealer.

Let us know how it works out!

EDIT: I should mention, don't get the acetone on anything except the factory paint. Stay away from the plastics and rubber. You can use mineral spirits around those without an issue but be super careful around anything that you have painted :). Mineral spirits don't clean off wax and oil quite as well and they take a lot longer to dry.

Last edited:
Boggieman,

Imma thinkin that damage is not as permanent as you might believe and you might be able to restore it for just a few bucks...and some elbow equity. Test this in a small area to see if it dos the do. Important: don't do this in direct sun!
1 - Clean the areas with soap and water (don't want to be sanding the paint with dirt and dust :) ), then dry.
2 - Hit the area with some acetone...yep, acetone...you want to make sure you don't have polish/wax between you and the bug guts.
3 - Spray Turtle Wax Power Foam Bug and Tar Remover on the area and let it hang out for about 3 minutes. After 3 minutes or so, wipe it off with a microfiber towel and, if any major spots remain, do a little extra scrubbing.
4 - Rinse.
5 - Come back with another dampened microfiber towel and some Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish...trust me. Hit the spots of blemishes that remain to scrub them out and do a little bit of overall buffing in the whole area to keep it all smooooth. Work in a circular motion and don't let your cloth get all globbed up...rotate and/or rinse and wring out as necessary.
EDIT: Realized I left this out...let the Mothers dry to a haze and wipe off with a clean dry microfiber towel. You can then hit it with some gentle cleaner/windex and and onother towel to get rid of any residue.
6 - At this point, you should now have completely eliminated the bug marks. You can use a clay bar or some light-duty polish to enhance the shine but you should probably be good to just go for your fave quality wax and/or sealer.

Let us know how it works out!
Thanks. I'll give that a shot and see how it goes.

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt