What did you do to your TJ today?

I’m surprised I don’t hear a lot of Jeepers use the rit dye method on their plastics. It’s a quick trick to dye most plastics and is a staple of repair in the dirtbike community. I went to my local ranch and home store and bought a 25 gallon galvanized tub. I set it on a turkey fryer and get the water boiling and then add the rit dye. Make sure you get the industrial strength stuff on amazon. But you can dye into the plastic with the stuff. So stratches don’t show he under color anymore. And it’s very long lasting. Like decades. ESP black. Look up how to dye motorcycle parts. And I’m sure you’ll get tons of good info. Sharp looking Jeep!
Man I've never heard of that... But I've been on orange dirt bikes so long that I probably missed the boat. That's a very cool idea.

Thanks for the compliment... I've really enjoyed it.

It’s a quick trick to dye most plastics and is a staple of repair in the dirtbike community.
I miss the good ol' days racing motocross. Damn I'm old! :cool:
WhiteOakHoleShot.jpg

Last edited:
This wasn't today, but over the weekend my boys and I took Heep out to SMORR and had an awesome time as always. Definitely learned that I am in desperate need of a tummy tuck because I got stopped on this obstacle. A better driver probably could have made it up but until I get more experience, I need to use some upgrades to compensate.

This wasn't today, but over the weekend my boys and I took Heep out to SMORR and had an awesome time as always. Definitely learned that I am in desperate need of a tummy tuck because I got stopped on this obstacle. A better driver probably could have made it up but until I get more experience, I need to use some upgrades to compensate.
You just need a little more speed for that stuff. (y)

Dad, Brother, and me put in new shocks all around! Rancho RS5000x front and back to replace the Zone shocks that came with the lift the PO put on there. Turns out that both rear shocks were completely shot, which explains why the Jeep felt like it was going to rattle apart with every little bump in the road. Different is night and day, seriously. Even the wife said it feels better.

Turns out the PO put on a bar pin eliminator in the rear, and the Ranchos come with bar pins and bushings to match already installed. So while it should have taken a couple hours to get the old shocks off and the new ones on, add another 2+ hours to figure out how to get the bar pins and bushings out and different bushings and sleeves in to mount the rear shocks. Had to MacGyver a contraption with clamps, vice grips, a cutting wheel, an avocado, and a snorkel to get everything apart and back together.

Time to start saving for sound deadening and stereo equipment!
IMG-1290.jpg
IMG-1068.jpg

Dad, Brother, and me put in new shocks all around! Rancho RS5000x front and back to replace the Zone shocks that came with the lift the PO put on there. Turns out that both rear shocks were completely shot, which explains why the Jeep felt like it was going to rattle apart with every little bump in the road. Different is night and day, seriously. Even the wife said it feels better.

Time to start saving for sound deadening and stereo equipment!View attachment 202160View attachment 202161
Did you have the Zone nitro or hydro (black vs white) shocks?

You just need a little more speed for that stuff. (y)

Yeah, I was thinking about that, but I still have the stock transfer case skid and was afraid that it wouldn't take much more of that abuse. When I got home and crawled underneath to take a look I banged it up pretty darn good. This was just one of my attempts, the boys asked me to stop trying after about 5 times because they didn't want to walk home. I was thinking about pulling some cable, but decided to go around the obstacle.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
It was 70+ degrees in my neck of Virginia yesterday, so I decided to pull out the grill guards I bought off Amazon a month ago. I never liked that they were completely black, so I taped off the grill holes in each piece to spray.
View attachment 201983
View attachment 201984
Then I sprayed them all with three light coats of the Duplicolor Forest Green Pearl. And then another three coats of the Duplicolor clear coat.
View attachment 201987
Here's the before and after. I think the color matched insert lip makes for a much cleaner and more OEM-type look.
View attachment 201991
That look amazing. Definitely doing that.

Reactions: sahara2000
none of the shocks had the sleeve, but the tubes were all black, so I guess the nitro. The two in the back, once I pulled them off, I could easily compress them by hand and they didn't extend at all. $200 for all four shocks was well worth the price!
The nitro ones are stiff, even when they're new. I bet it rides so much better with the Rancho over blown shocks. I did the same thing on my XJ. Blown rear shocks to RS5000x. Huge difference.

Finally got around to removing the rocker body decals the previous owner had installed. They were peeling at the edges, and not looking too good. They peeled off pretty easy with heat from the hair dryer, but left a fair amount of sticky behind.
Goo Gone and elbow grease to the rescue. I now smell very citrusy.

Before:
20201109_073326.jpg

After:
20201109_083924.jpg

Dropped the top on the 06 and took the wife on an after church leaf tour.

Rode 2 solid hours and forgot I had a new dead pedal in it.

Couldn't believe it was still warm enough to do that in November.

I hope life is treating you guys okay... I need to get back to work now ... It's a dog eat dog world this morning and I wore Milk Bone underwear.

Since it was raining all day on Saturday, I finally got around to installing a new radiator and removing that awful 3" body lift. Hopefully, next weekend I'll have some time to install new springs, shocks and track bar relocator.