What did you give up/sell/trade to get your TJ?

Sold my 1982 CJ-7 with an AMC 360, t-18 granny gear 4 speed, and bought my 2003 TJ. I honestly have to say, I miss the simple stuff. It had a Holley 670 Truck Avenger, and with the kind of wheeling I do , it never missed a beat. The tj is ok, but I miss the power, and simplicity.The CJ never needed new cats, o2 sensors, a new freeze plug in the back of the cylinder head month after I had the tranny out the change the clutch, never had a valve tick that won't go away, I guess until I change the cam and lifters, and now, a new tranny, because the nv3550 grinds 2nd gear. Granted, I bought the tj with 70000 miles in 2011, and now have 123000.

Reactions: Chris
Ahhh, I can relate to this 100%.

I had an S4 with the V8, and I quickly came to realize why these cars were cheap as hell on the second hand market. The timing chains were prohibitively expensive to do, and by far one of the worst designs I've ever seen for an engine in terms of accessibility (whoever came up with this design should be shot). I sold mine before it came time for timing chains, but I would never in a million years suggest anyone buy an Audi S4 with a V8.

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Audi's. While it's not quite the "what did you give up to get your TJ" category I had a very relatable story getting me into Jeeps.

Without intending to, I "gave up" my first car, a 1984 Audi Quattro (the twin-turbo inline 5 all-wheel drive variant, not the normally aspirated FWD Audi GT more common in that era) by wrapping it around a tree. I took the insurance write-off and bought a 1981 CJ-5 Renegade. TBH, I'm glad I did because I don't know if I could have handled any more speeding tickets when I was 17.

While not one I had this is, for all intents and purposes, its twin (minus the tinted windows)

1985_Audi_Quattro_Turbo_Coupe_UrQuattro_For_Sale_Front_resize.jpg

Michèle Mouton is still the only one on my laminated "free pass" list if she ever stops by.

Reactions: FF_Jeep and Chris
I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Audi's. While it's not quite the "what did you give up to get your TJ" category I had a very relatable story getting me into Jeeps.

Without intending to, I "gave up" my first car, a 1984 Audi Quattro (the twin-turbo inline 5 all-wheel drive variant, not the normally aspirated FWD Audi GT more common in that era) by wrapping it around a tree. I took the insurance write-off and bought a 1981 CJ-5 Renegade. TBH, I'm glad I did because I don't know if I could have handled any more speeding tickets when I was 17.

While not one I had this is, for all intents and purposes, its twin (minus the tinted windows)

View attachment 10893

Michèle Mouton is still the only one on my laminated "free pass" list if she ever stops by.

That's a very cool Audi, no doubt about that.

I have the same soft spot in my heart for BMW M cars. I've owned a ton of M3s and M5s and I love them. I just don't love the cost of parts and maintenance. It makes me not want to own them after years and years of experiencing those costs.

I've owned quite a bunch of nice looking Ducs, let me tell you!

But yeah, it was a fun and gorgeous bike. My body just doesn't agree with that riding position anymore though, so switching to Harleys has been much better in terms of riding position and posture!

Those Ducs are uncomfortable as sin to ride anywhere but a race track.

The 916 SPS is prob my all time favorite bike. It's moving artwork! But yeah it would have to come with a chiropractor so I could ride it.

Hopefully a Bimmer is in my future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 916 SPS is prob my all time favorite bike. It's moving artwork! But yeah it would have to come with a chiropractor so I could ride it.

Hopefully a Bimmer is in my future.

I used to have a 916, not the SPS though.

It is the most uncomfortable bike I've ever owned, and I've owned some of the coolest bikes you've ever seen, I promise. That thing is just a nightmare in terms of ergonomics!

BMWs are cool, but I hope you have REALLY deep pockets for maintenance and parts!

It is the most uncomfortable bike I've ever owned, and I've owned some of the coolest bikes you've ever seen, I promise. That thing is just a nightmare in terms of ergonomics!

BMWs are cool, but I hope you have REALLY deep pockets for maintenance and parts!
Wife and I looked at the GLT 1600 (160 hp!) a couple years ago. Required a rear tire every 5000 miles. That is a tire every oil change! Walked away because of maintenance costs.

Wife and I looked at the GLT 1600 (160 hp!) a couple years ago. Required a rear tire every 5000 miles. That is a tire every oil change! Walked away because of maintenance costs.

Oh yeah, all of my motorcycles require tires every 3500-5000 miles, that's normal. Especially if you have a soft compound performance tire!

Reactions: DC0046
for my First TJ, I traded a Liberty for it...For the second TJ in my collection, a early no penalty loan against my retirement.. for the Willys, well the wife wanted it just as bad as me so...nothing...love that wife of mine!!

whats even better is I still have all three Jeeps. And I am spreading the Jeepich. Father-in-law, 2016 Wrangler/ Niece, 2000 Wrangler/ Buddy, (traded Mercedes for 2012 JKU) He also bought a Keiser Jeep for farm vehicle. Two guys here at the shop converted as well.

I just want to put it in a display case in the living room!

The Suzuki sidekick behind my new TJ, there is no free parking where I live and you can only have one car active at a time so I sold it the day I got my first ticket. I don't miss the lack of AC or weak engine or how crammed it felt inside. Compared to the TJ
image.jpeg