What do I have to do to add a 2 inch OME lift?

Eastbank

WHAT ALL DO U HAVE TO DO TO ADD A 2 INCH LIFT TO A 2006 TJ 65TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. DO U HAVE TO ADD ANYTHING LIKE BRAKE LINE EXTENSIONS, OR SUSPENSION PARTS? HOW ABOUT THE SHIFTER AND 4 WHEEL DRIVE LEVERS? I WAS THINKING ABOUT A OLD MAN EMU 2 INCH SUSPENSION LIFT. IS THERE A LINK THAT SHOW ALL AND TELLS HOW TO INSTALL THIS? ALSO ADJUSTABLE TRACK BARS, WHAT ARE GOOD ONES TO GET FOR FRONT AND BACK, WOULD I BE ABLE TO PICK THEM UP AT MY AUTO PARTS STORE? IT COMES WITH A rear track bar relocation bracket, WHATS DOES THIS DO? I KNOW THIS IS A LOT, AND I'M JUMPING AROUND...SORRY.

Instructions here. This is a 2.5" kit. You can get it in a light or heavy spring choice. The heavy spring choice will be firmer but get you more nominal lift height. If you are on a budget, and want to go to 33" tires, you should do a 3" kit or the Zone Offroad 4.25" combo for example. I have sold tons of these over the years. The 4.25" combo has a 1.25" body lift on top of the 3" spring lift. It also has a 1" motor mount lift to help compensate for rear drive line angles. If you are considering the 4.25", get the hydro shocks for 95% street an the Nitros if you plan on running it hard on the trails.

The rear trackbar relocation bracket will, in theory, recenter your axle under the frame from side to side. Adjustable TBs are prefered but not neccessary on the rear. The front you should have an adjustable front TB if you get above the 2~2.5" range. Prior to that it is tollerable to run without one. I would not do a lift without a front adjuable TB. But that is just me. Teraflex makes a good Adj TB. so does, Synergy, Superlift (at least the JKs are). JKS is another popular one. I have sold a ton of the RE1600 from Rubicon Express for the TJ running a 3" lift height. Very nice for the price. Make sure with any TB, you torgue it properly and after the rig is sitting on it's own weight.

Now, please give us the details of your vision for this build. You will get better advise and guidence with that info. Be detailed.

Allen

Reactions: Eastbank
Instructions here. This is a 2.5" kit. You can get it in a light or heavy spring choice. The heavy spring choice will be firmer but get you more nominal lift height. If you are on a budget, and want to go to 33" tires, you should do a 3" kit or the Zone Offroad 4.25" combo for example. I have sold tons of these over the years. The 4.25" combo has a 1.25" body lift on top of the 3" spring lift. It also has a 1" motor mount lift to help compensate for rear drive line angles. If you are considering the 4.25", get the hydro shocks for 95% street an the Nitros if you plan on running it hard on the trails.

The rear trackbar relocation bracket will, in theory, recenter your axle under the frame from side to side. Adjustable TBs are prefered but not neccessary on the rear. The front you should have an adjustable front TB if you get above the 2~2.5" range. Prior to that it is tollerable to run without one. I would not do a lift without a front adjuable TB. But that is just me. Teraflex makes a good Adj TB. so does, Synergy, Superlift (at least the JKs are). JKS is another popular one. I have sold a ton of the RE1600 from Rubicon Express for the TJ running a 3" lift height. Very nice for the price. Make sure with any TB, you torgue it properly and after the rig is sitting on it's own weight.

Now, please give us the details of your vision for this build. You will get better advise and guidence with that info. Be detailed.

Allen

Thank you for the info. I was just going to lift mine 2 inches for looks. I had heard the old man emu lift would make it ride and handle better. So the adjustable track bar, I think I would like to put them on also. Always worried about the death wobble, and this is a every day rider. I love my Jeep, thanks again. I also need a front fender, would you know where I could find one like the original one at a reasonable price? I know there is several ones out there, but I was wanting a good one.

You don't just magically get DW and then fix it with an adjustable track bar. Honestly, you're less likely to get DW if you just leave the stock one on there in my opinion. But adding an adjustable isn't hard, just takes time. And as was already mentioned, be careful messing with trackbars with under 2" lift.

Just throwing this out there, I have two front fenders for sale here on the forum. Price is negotiable depending upon shipping costs.

Reactions: Eastbank and Chris
I also would suggest being careful with adjustable track bars at 2" of lift. I would honestly just keep the stock track bars at that height, since 2" won't dramatically effect the lateral position of your axles.

Also, with a 2" lift all you need are shocks and springs. You don't need track bars, adjustable brake lines or anything else. You may need a transfer case drop, but that's different from vehicle to vehicle.

Honestly though, 2" is easy!

Also, with a 2" lift all you need are shocks and springs. You don't need track bars, adjustable brake lines or anything else. You may need a transfer case drop, but that's different from vehicle to vehicle.

Honestly though, 2" is easy!
And honestly, I'd even wait on the t-case drop with only 2". Some need them, but it's not common with such a small lift.

Reactions: Eastbank
Glad to help! You'll be find with 2" with only springs and shocks.

Glad to have you as a member!

I was about to post the same thing today. I am looking at the Old Man Emu 2" lift kit myself. I was trying to decide between the light, medium, or heavy loads. I would imagine the heavy load would be pretty stiff (as mentioned above). Can anyone else shed some light on this. Also is has anyone used this lift: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16156_0400.htm

My inclination is to go with the Old Man Emu 2" Lift but I would love to get a better explanation on the "loads" and to see if anyone has an opinion on JKS manufacturing. I want to slap a set of 32" All Terrain tires. It is really going to be for Sand & Snow.

Reactions: Chris
I was about to post the same thing today. I am looking at the Old Man Emu 2" lift kit myself. I was trying to decide between the light, medium, or heavy loads. I would imagine the heavy load would be pretty stiff (as mentioned above). Can anyone else shed some light on this. Also is has anyone used this lift: http://www.quadratec.com/products/16156_0400.htm

My inclination is to go with the Old Man Emu 2" Lift but I would love to get a better explanation on the "loads" and to see if anyone has an opinion on JKS manufacturing. I want to slap a set of 32" All Terrain tires. It is really going to be for Sand & Snow.

Do you plan on adding a winch? 3-4 people in the vehicle, gear, roof rack, heavy full size spare tire, etc? If you do, you DEFINITELY want the heavy duty kit. I had the OME HD and don't be fooled into thinking it rides bad. It rides wonderful even when the Jeep isn't fully loaded. The HD kit in my opinion just sits a bit higher when the Jeep isn't fully loaded, so that way when it IS fully loaded it may sag a bit, but the extra stiffness in the springs makes up for it.

Reactions: Ephry73 and Jess
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the great insight. A couple of quick questions. Do you know why the suspensions for the OME suspensions go from 97-02 and 03-06? What changed from 2002 to 2003 in the TJ as far as the suspension is concerned? I thought all the axles and suspensions were interchangeable from 1997-2006 am I wrong?

Reactions: Chris
I looked at the JKS Jspec 2" lift as well. JKS has a good reputation in the JK world, but I've only run across one person who has installed it so far on a TJ. He installed it a couple of months ago and seems to like it so far. The JKS rep that I corresponded with wasn't real helpful. It seems ideal for what I'm looking to do, but no history, so I'm a little leary. Wish there were more installs to get a little more background on it.

Reactions: Jess
I have OME springs on the front of my Tacoma and I like them a lot. Good everything. I've seen a few Jeeps with the OME 2", a body lift and a MM lift. Good bang for the buck. Throw a lunchbox on the front and you've got a really capable rig.

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the great insight. A couple of quick questions. Do you know why the suspensions for the OME suspensions go from 97-02 and 03-06? What changed from 2002 to 2003 in the TJ as far as the suspension is concerned? I thought all the axles and suspensions were interchangeable from 1997-2006 am I wrong?

Where are you seeing a lot for 97-02 and one for 03-06? According the the official OME price list there is only a lot for 97-06. Which makes sense too, because there is no difference from 97-02 and 03-06. Whatever site you got that info from is incorrect.

What if I had a 1.25 BL to the 2" OME SL???
Would I need track bar relocator, TC drop and MML???

The body lift isn't going to change anything. The reason that track bars can often be a hinderance on 2" and under of lift is because most track bars will bind with something. Often times you'll have to add more bump stop to keep the track bar from binding at such a short lift, in which case if you add too much bump stop then it defeats the entire purpose of your lift.

This is why I think that a stock track bar at 2" or under isn't a bad idea. I don't think there's a real need for an adjustable track bar unless you're over 2" of suspension lift. Most honest companies (i.e. Currie) even say on their website that the track bar is meant for 3" of lift or more (I think it's 3").

The ONLY way to know if a track bar is going to cause issues is to remove your springs and fully cycle your suspension to see what binds and what doesn't. In fact, this should be done to ANY lifted rig, because if you don't do it you're defeating the purpose of lifting your vehicle (unless it's just for looks and not functionality).

As for a track bar relocation bracket, that all depends on which track bar you end up getting. Some need it, others don't, etc.

A TC drop with 2" of lift most likely isn't needed. You may need it, but I highly doubt you would since 2" is mild.

And last but not least, an MML is not necessary unless you plan on doing a tummy tuck, or you're getting vibrations from the lift and you want to angle the TC back a bit so that it reduces some of the angle of your rear driveshaft.

Again though, at 2" of lift you shouldn't need any of this. This is why I think 2-2.5" is a good lift for most people, because you don't have to start spending a shit ton of money just to make everything right. Once you start getting over 3" or more, that's when you better be prepared to spend some big money if you want to do it right.