What do you consider high mileage?

I remember when you were lucky to make it to 100K on an American manufactured vehicle, and every mile after that was a gift.
Things have gotten much better and 100k seems like nothing.
We regularly see our full size work vans (GMC's and Chevy's) go well over 200k, and trust me, those are very hard miles.

I remember when you were lucky to make it to 100K on an American manufactured vehicle, and every mile after that was a gift.
We regularly see our full size work vans (GMC's and Chevy's) go well over 200k, and trust me, those are very hard miles.
Ain't it the truth! Oh, there were some engines back in the day that were hard to kill, but they were rather pedestrian, at best. I ran Chrysler 225 slant sixes for years, and would see 250,000 miles on them semi-regularly. They weren't exactly powerhouses by that time, but they never were to begin with. These days, however, 200,000 miles seems to be the new 100,000 miles. Lots of vehicles on Craigslist past 200,000 miles...

Last edited:

So true.
Seems like everything today hits 300k.

I remember wearing the lobes off cams at just over 100K, chewing up distributors in less.
Oils are better, tolerances are tighter. :)

Reactions: Zorba and Squatch
I paid 8400 for my TJ and it had 172K on it. I felt that I spent too much money on it, but you guys are making me feel better. It is hella clean though. I almost bet it was towed behind an RV, but the grill is not tore up like what usually happens in that case.

I also paid 5K for my 2003 Ram 4x4 and it has 191K miles on it. Neither are showing signs of drivetrain issues. Except my Tj does scratch going into 5th every now and again. I am going to have to go through the ax15 soonish, but the motor still purs neither leak nor burn any oil.

I put about 1000 miles a year on my trucks, as I drive a motorcycle as a daily driver. I put even less miles on my Ram because I only use it for Home Depot runs and towing Quads to camping. I am assuming I will be long dead before either of my vehicles hit 200K hehe

I’d say 160,000+ plus, but nothing is wrong with a high mileage veichile, I drove a Toyota pickup in high school and beat the shit out of it, it had 280,000 by the time I sold it, still running strong as ever!

TJ? I don't know that it matters much because it's all pretty easy to fix or replace compared to most cars.

Everything else is more condition vs. actual miles. I've seen heaps of junk with less than 100k because they were beat to death and not maintained.

I've also seen cars (my friends 4Runner) in excess of 250000 that I'd jump in and drive to Cali.

Reactions: Squatch
I bought my 2012 overland GC, 3.6 pentastar with 80k miles... 3 years old from a project manager who did tons of highway miles traveling to his job site in another state.

I am hoping it gets to 250k miles. One thing to consider is the aluminum in the engine and how prone they are to warping if overheated.

So far so good.. vehicle runs well with regular maintenance.

My worries are in the electronics...

I had a Subby Impresa that had done 235,000 miles on it when I sold it. The only thing that went on it was the clutch around the 220,000 mile area.
According to New Zealand stats most people here drive an average of 14,000 per year..I average 22,000

Miles don't mean a damn thing. it's all about the previous owners.
download (1).jpg

download (2).jpg

I have a 2014 Jeep Wrangler with 196,000 miles and a Mopar life time warranty. They did change the head gasket at 150K and changed out the coolant system, including a new heater core due to contamination. BUT, I have not had any issues other than what Chrysler fixed and still getting 18 to 19 MPG. Use Mobil 1 5W-20 every 8 to 10k. After 75K used Mobil 1 High Mileage every 8 to 10k. This is my 3rd Jeep wrangler and I’ll keep it till death or when Chrysler buys it back from me . I have never been more satisfied in a vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjinatl and Squatch
Condition, maintenance and area driven mean more to me than mileage. My 1998 TJ has almost 160k but spent most of it's life garaged in California, so parts of it look brand new. Meanwhile some New England vehicles are rusting out and no longer road worthy by 100k.

It's not a jeep but a friend has a Chevy truck with 340,000 miles on it. Bought it in 2002 and always changes the oil.

My 95 F150 had 360K when I sold it. If we hadn't inherited my wife's dads 09 Silverado in 14, I'd probably still have it.

Most of my employers' sales staff F150s see well over 250K before they are dumped, err, transferred to us field service guys. I refused the last one and opted for the only other available vehicle in the fleet, a 2010 Fusion that has just turned 180K. Don't regret it.

My TJ is a 99 with 191k and it still runs well. The synchros may be getting a bit worn in the trans as it doesn't shift as smooth as it should.

certainly after 200,000 maybe around 150,000. I see these people all the time that are trying to sell their cars quickly because they just rolled over 1000,000, nothing wrong with them, just don't want a "high mileage" car. My household has 5 running cars, not one of them under 100,000. and I go to pick up my friends that are stranded on the side of their road in their brand new whatever all the time.

'01 Jeep: 260,000 - runs fine, general maintenance required but is my reliable daily.
2000 - 4 runner : 160,000. the runt of the bunch, but has never let me down and takes little maintenance
'99 Maxinma : 180,000 - running strong
'04 Sonata : 240,000 - should have died years ago, is basically dead now, but somehow still starts and drives
'66 VW Dunebuggy : 327,000 (ish, no one knows for sure) been rebuilt a few times and rolled over a few times never left me stranded and has made for a great car to learn to work on and will always make you smile.

I would say that all of my family's cars are "high milage" but they sure seem to be a lot more reliable than the cars I see that just rolled off the lot.

Sheesh. You guys are hard...I drive approximately 20,000 a year! 100,000 is just getting broken in now-a-days. You don't even need a tune up on most cars until they hit 100K
Agreed! Aside from my '72 C-10 I picked up with 51k, I've never purchased a vehicle with under 100k on the ticker. Granted, I'm picky about what I get based on the PO or the general longevity of the model, but I've had good luck over the last 20 years. Currently rocking the '72 with 54k, the '03 2500hd with 128k (bought at 120K), the '04 TJ with 150k (bought at 125k), and '06 Denali with 180k (bought at 150).

I should probably add that it likely depends on your mechanical ability as well. While my father is a mechanic and I've been exposed to this stuff since a young age (helped rebuild the carburetor on our family truckster CJ-7 at the age of 7). Most of the people on this forum tend to lean this way, versus the general public these days. Most of my coworkers just buy new or take it to the DIFM shop. They'd stray away from these "high mileage" cars as they just don't have the inclination, know how, or tools to figure it out.