What does the "Axle Lock" button do? (JK owner edition)

You guys realize that the only people who know what lockers do are off roaders, racers, or the spouses of ether category. (that last one is only because we won't shut up about how great they are)

The general public, and that includes car dealers are totally clueless about this stuff. Most Rubicons are sold on the basis of "it's the most expensive so it must be the best" or "look at those nobby tires, you will never get stuck when you go to the mountains for a ski trip with them." or some such other thing. When I bought my LJ the guy said "it's a Rubicon to, that means it's longer and has more room inside" he also said he needed a vehicle with more cargo. Space, when I looked in the back the soft top was still inside and the seat was flipped forward. I just agreed on all points and proceeded to talk him down on the price. The general public has no idea. When I guide newbie runs I have to teach almost every single rubi owner what the buttons do. I also have to teach them that they don't need to give it lots of gas to get rolling in 4low.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

You guys realize that the only people who know what lockers do are off roaders, racers, or the spouses of ether category. (that last one is only because we won't shut up about how great they are)

The general public, and that includes car dealers are totally clueless about this stuff. Most Rubicons are sold on the basis of "it's the most expensive so it must be the best" or "look at those nobby tires, you will never get stuck when you go to the mountains for a ski trip with them." or some such other thing. When I bought my LJ the guy said "it's a Rubicon to, that means it's longer and has more room inside" he also said he needed a vehicle with more cargo. Space, when I looked in the back the soft top was still inside and the seat was flipped forward. I just agreed on all points and proceeded to talk him down on the price. The general public has no idea. When I guide newbie runs I have to teach almost every single rubi owner what the buttons do. I also have to teach them that they don't need to give it lots of gas to get rolling in 4low.

Oh, I realize this 100%. I didn't know what they were before I got into Jeeps and off-roading.

However, that doesn't change the fact that this is pretty funny... I mean you have to admit.

Reactions: skrelnik
Well, of course you have to lock the axles! That's how you keep it off the road, hence the big "OFF-ROAD" label next to the button! ;)

I once seen a re-post somewhere of a kid on a BMW forum wondering why his tach didn't go to zero when the car was stopped with the engine running.

Reminds me of a story I read where someone went into the gas station to buy a can of NOS Energy (a sugary caffeinated energy drink), thinking it was an engine cleaner/octane boost. Poured it into his motorcycle gas tank and then wondered what the hell was happening!

Reactions: Chris
Oh, I realize this 100%. I didn't know what they were before I got into Jeeps and off-roading.

However, that doesn't change the fact that this is pretty funny... I mean you have to admit.
Oh it's funny as hell. I'm more referring to the guys who couldn't believe that anyone wouldn't know.

Reactions: Chris
Reminds me of a story I read where someone went into the gas station to buy a can of NOS Energy (a sugary caffeinated energy drink), thinking it was an engine cleaner/octane boost. Poured it into his motorcycle gas tank and then wondered what the hell was happening!

lol, who needs NOS when you can buy one of these :)

powerband.jpg

Reactions: tworley and Chris
How do these folks end up buying an iconic 4x4 and not take the time to learn about the features. It boggles my mind.

I totally get wanting to buy a Jeep because it's cool .. but after you get it, at least browse the user's manual! Or watch a video. Or even just listen to the bloody salesman who sold you the car at the dealership! How can they possibly not know that the vehicle has live axles! The pumpkin is right there in the front and back.
There was an individual here at work many years ago that drove a 4X4 Blazer. It so much as said "BLAZER 4X4" on the emblems. Yet he was stuck in the snow on the incline of our parking lot, because he didn't it was a four wheel drive vehicle. Said he didn't know what the "4X4" meant. True story. :facepalm:

There was an individual here at work many years ago that drove a 4X4 Blazer. It so much as said "BLAZER 4X4" on the emblems. Yet he was stuck in the snow on the incline of our parking lot, because he didn't it was a four wheel drive vehicle. Said he didn't know what the "4X4" meant. True story. :facepalm:
One of my old co-workers was big into water skiing and was always on the water. He asked me one day about a new truck with more power to get his boat up slick ramps since his current Jimmy could barely make it. I asked him how bad he was slipping being that his current rig was a 4x4. He just stared at me with a goofy look. :meparto:

One of my old co-workers was big into water skiing and was always on the water. He asked me one day about a new truck with more power to get his boat up slick ramps since his current Jimmy could barely make it. I asked him how bad he was slipping being that his current rig was a 4x4. He just stared at me with a goofy look. :meparto:
Yup. They're out there...

Have to admit the first time I drove my new (then) 2012 JKU in snow up a hill...the back end kept swaying out and it would not make it. Stupid me did not realize I actually had to pull the 4 x 4 handle to engage the 4 wheel drive. I was so used to full time 4wd on other vehicles I never gave it a thought..boy did I feel foolish. :facepalm: