What gear ratio for 35 inch tires?

4.5" springs/1.25" BL 6spd, 35s and 5.13 on order.
I like the setup. Around town and at lower velocities it makes for a rather "sporty" and enjoyable drive. A positive side effect (for me at least) is that I've adjusted my driving habits from 80+ mph on the highway/interstate to 70ish mph.

Reactions: pc1p and NOTNSUV
A bit tongue in cheek, but the only thing a dual steering stabilizer does is create unnecessary load on your steering components, particularly the steering gear. There is no problem or situation for which the dual steering stabilizer is the solution.
Not so tongue in cheek but a steering gear has a 3" diameter piston in it that moves the sector gear. Even in stock form the steering pump is capable of and puts out 1300 psi. That is an area of right at 7 square inches. That times the pump pressure in pounds per square in = about 9000 lbs. of force moving the pitman side to side at the shaft.

Or, if you don't believe my math, a simple hydraulic cylinder force calculator shows the same thing. Ignore the side with the shaft.

In short, no amount of steering stabilizers will affect or bother the steering gear.

1639011012484.png

Last edited:
I like the setup. Around town and at lower velocities it makes for a rather "sporty" and enjoyable drive. A positive side effect (for me at least) is that I've adjusted my driving habits from 80+ mph on the highway/interstate to 70ish mph.
Good to hear. I only recently realized how much the 4.0L enjoys 2500 - 3000rpm on the highway in my XJ, that I've had for years. It takes on a whole different feel once you let it eat. Would be lousy to not use OD in anything I drive.

AW4, 3000rpm w/4.56 on 33s gets me rolling pretty good.

Reactions: L J
Not so tongue in cheek but a steering gear has a 3" diameter piston in it that moves the sector gear. Even in stock form the steering pump is capable of and puts out 1300 psi. That is an area of right at 7 square inches. That times the pump pressure in pounds per square in = about 9000 lbs. of force moving the pitman side to side at the shaft.

Or, if you don't believe my math, a simple hydraulic cylinder force calculator shows the same thing. Ignore the side with the shaft.

In short, no amount of steering stabilizers will affect or bother the steering gear.

View attachment 295228
Thank you. I was worried that I made my first mistake

I wish I had a dollar for every time I have advised against 4.11 and to go instead with 4.56 for 33's, 4.0 engine, and 5-speed transmission.
I wish I had a dollar for that as well!!😄 You're right though.

I ve got 33” skinnies with 4.11 and a 5 speed manual. Works ok as I put in a 4 to 1 low ratio.

That said wish I d of done 4.56 but not worth extra coin now.

I too have 4.10s, a 5 speed, and "skinny" 33's. Off road I definitely wish I had more gear, but I think a 4:1 transfer case would solve that.

For ON ROAD ONLY a stroker makes that gear ratio/tranny/tire combo a pleasure to drive, but that doesn't mean a stroker is a substitute for correct gearing as I've seen asked about in a couple of threads recently. A stroker might shift your gearing choice a bit with specific setups, but it is never a one or the other thing unless maybe you are talking about a manual tranny Rubicon on 33s IMHO. I know you weren't saying that, just riffing on your post.

Reactions: pc1p and Irun
Good evening all: Question I have a 03 sport with 3.73s with a dana 30 front and dana 35 rear on 33s its and 4 speed auto and it feels like it needs to be regeared for a little more get up and go and maybe even some mpg. What are the best gears? Thanks!!

Good evening all: Question I have a 03 sport with 3.73s with a dana 30 front and dana 35 rear on 33s its and 4 speed auto and it feels like it needs to be regeared for a little more get up and go and maybe even some mpg. What are the best gears? Thanks!!

Reactions: L J