What have you done to your TJ to improve ground clearance and get rid of hangy downy things?

I’m dumb and having a hard time visualizing this.
Have any pictures of this?
He's suggesting reinforcing the axle side lower control arm bracket by welding on a big washer. Then cut everything else away that isn't the washer.

I don't know why you wouldn't just replace the bracket with a heavier one, and trim likewise?

I don't know why you wouldn't just replace the bracket with a heavier one, and trim likewise?
The effort involved is pretty different! But this is the same answer I got when I recently asked about what to do about bent up lower mounts on mine. I have them cut but still need to drill out the bolt hole to get them in.

I don't have to pull the axle to do weld washers, I do have to pull it to replace the mounts.
Can the new lower control arms mounts (for the rear in this case) be mounted up flush with the axle housing rather than how the stock ones hang down. And is that change significant enough to alter the geometry of the links?

Reactions: JMT
He's suggesting reinforcing the axle side lower control arm bracket by welding on a big washer. Then cut everything else away that isn't the washer.

You can do this with the frame side mounts as well. If you can’t move it out of the way make it as “slick” as you can.

Reactions: JMT and mrblaine
Can the new lower control arms mounts (for the rear in this case) be mounted up flush with the axle housing rather than how the stock ones hang down. And is that change significant enough to alter the geometry of the links?

Too much change without addressing the uppers as well.

Reactions: JMT and TRE3TOP
Having never welded a set of brackets to an axle, I guess I didn't realize you needed to pull it to put new LCA brackets on. Is that due to heat or access?
Access. I suppose you could do it in place, no amount of money would let me do that when I can pull it, flip it upside down and be done.

Reactions: Mike_H
Thanks, pretty sure I’m following but appreciate a visual.
DSC00209.JPG
DSC00211.JPG

Oh boy, more welding projects! I’m going to try my hand at mig welding for the first time tomorrow. It’s my birthday. Maybe someone will show me some sparkle panties.
Use some cutting torch goggles while you are welding and I promise, you'll see lots of sparkles every place you look, including at some panties.

i just pulled about 2 dozen rounds burnouts they were tossin from the laser about 2.5" round with a 9/16" hole in the center 3/16" thick. could probably get several more if they are useful pieces.

Edti 2.75" round 11/16 hole.

Last edited:
Oh boy, more welding projects! I’m going to try my hand at mig welding for the first time tomorrow. It’s my birthday. Maybe someone will show me some sparkle panties.
Happy birthday motherfucker!

• Love
Reactions: JMT