What have you done to your TJ to improve ground clearance and get rid of hangy downy things?

starkey480

Jeep parts inbound
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
What are your favorite parts of the Jeep to make less hangy downy? Things you can tuck up, bolts you can countersink, higher clearance parts, just any fun tricks to make our jeeps as low profile as possible.

What provoked this thread was looking at @Gollywomper build thread and seeing how he countersink his skid plate bolts with new holes and frame nutserts. Very good idea for those of us with skids that have slotted holes.
A5803807-EBC4-42D5-AB8A-C8CE74D893E8.jpeg

Reactions: rasband and lBasket
If you have a body lift raising the body mounts is another mod that makes sense. Especially in that area of the rig where we tend to try to pass larger rocks.
Also raising my gas tank skid as we speak.

If you have a body lift raising the body mounts is another mod that makes sense. Especially in that area of the rig where we tend to try to pass larger rocks.
Blaine uses the lower profile rear lower isolators when he raises the side body mounts, and mashes a countersink bolt into them which makes the raised mounts even more high profile.

That’s now on my list after new control arms. I noticed a few weeks back I seem to have hit one on a rock. It didn’t bend the actual mount but definitely bent the outer lip edge.

What are your favorite parts of the Jeep to make less hangy downy? Things you can tuck up, bolts you can countersink, higher clearance parts, just any fun tricks to make our jeeps as low profile as possible.

What provoked this thread was looking at @Gollywomper build thread and seeing how he countersink his skid plate bolts with new holes and frame nutserts. Very good idea for those of us with skids that have slotted holes.
View attachment 307185
The best less hangy downy mod for me was getting rid of that UCF skid. The holes you see on those corners hook on rocks, additionally they made the dropped section almost full width vs savvy which is dropped only around the trans. All the frame bolts being coutnersunk and same for engine skid bolts. I happen to like the Swag style raised body mounts as well. The savvy GTS was a good slider improvement also. I'd love to pick that up another 4" the way blaine did once where he pushed it up through the floor but its low priority. I do hit the GTS but i dont get stuck on it.

The #1 items that don't slide and i get hung up on are .... differentials. I can absolutely see the benefit of the rockjock 60 HP with diff slider. Just got to weight is it worth the ridiculous cost.

Reactions: SvtLdr
He'll be thrilled to discuss those control arm mounts. 😉

Still better than discussing springs vs shocks 😂

I like that photo because it shows how well protected the body mounts are given all the other trail kisses you see overall.

The best less hangy downy mod for me was getting rid of that UCF skid. The holes you see on those corners hook on rocks, additionally they made the dropped section almost full width vs savvy which is dropped only around the trans. All the frame bolts being coutnersunk and same for engine skid bolts. I happen to like the Swag style raised body mounts as well. The savvy GTS was a good slider improvement also. I'd love to pick that up another 4" the way blaine did once where he pushed it up through the floor but its low priority. I do hit the GTS but i dont get stuck on it.

The #1 items that don't slide and i get hung up on are .... differentials. I can absolutely see the benefit of the rockjock 60 HP with diff slider. Just got to weight is it worth the ridiculous cost.
I would have loved the savvy skid, but I have an early model. I’ll probably need to make my own skid/crossmember if I want anything better.

• Sad
Reactions: lBasket
Just another one to say what everyone else did. Raise the body mounts, tuck the tummy as much as possible, countersink where you can.

Tuck the gas tank and its skid. Raise the rear crossmember. Get the spare in tight (if you carry one). Tuck the tummy and raise your frame brackets for the body mounts. Tie rod flip.

What you can't raise, protect with armor...Control arm skids, Weld some material on the diff bottoms.

Last edited:
my tummy is as tucked as I want to do for now (in case I go for a 241 someday), I'll probably lift the gas tank eventually, and my spare is raised about 1.5" and tight enough that the Exogate hinges are acting as extra snubbers. (35x12.5 on a 5.25" BS 15x8). With the extra LJ overhang I'm probably gonna end up heavily modifying or making my own rear bumper to get as much departure angle as I possibly can.

I definitely see the value for some of you in lifting the body mounts, but it's not a problem for me yet and I really hope it doesn't become one because that looks like a royal PITA. I have thought about something more like a mini skid that makes them a little less grabby, but I understand there's a point where they just need to be out of the way.

my tummy is as tucked as I want to do for now (in case I go for a 241 someday), I'll probably lift the gas tank eventually, and my spare is raised about 1.5" and tight enough that the Exogate hinges are acting as extra snubbers. (35x12.5 on a 5.25" BS 15x8). With the extra LJ overhang I'm probably gonna end up heavily modifying or making my own rear bumper to get as much departure angle as I possibly can.

I definitely see the value for some of you in lifting the body mounts, but it's not a problem for me yet and I really hope it doesn't become one because that looks like a royal PITA. I have thought about something more like a mini skid that makes them a little less grabby, but I understand there's a point where they just need to be out of the way.
I haven't done the body mount lift yet either...don't play in enough rocks. I have done the rear cross-member lift and have a very minimalist bumper and that makes a HUGE difference in departure angle...it would be even more beneficial with an LJ