What I know so far

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
Having always loved Jeeps and owned 7 , here is what I know after 6 months with my first TJ-

1. Mileage doesn't mean everything ..I bought a low mileage Rubicon (20,500 miles ) thinking I could circumvent wear and tear ...it had a shot skyjacker kit , out of production tires , bad tires , and a lift just done poorly . All this meant more money .

2. Big tires mean deeper gears -period . If I had known that also , I would have negotiated harder or looked further . More money .

Note -knowing what you are looking for can save you some time and money , several months on here prior to purchase would have really opened my eyes.

3. Don't regear yourself if you aren't equipped . Just don't . I didn't say you aren't capable . If it isn't done right , the gears will let you know how you did .

4. TJ's beat the daylights out of all their predecessors in terms of a comfortable , versatile , do all vehicle . The ride is better , the seats are better, the tops are massively better , the heat and air system is better , the handling is better , the 4wd system is better , and on and on ...and they still feel like a Jeep. That is my favorite thing about mine ....having fun and remembering good times in my others is cool, and that feel of looking over the hood and turning on a dime is still there.

4 . Quieter means noisier ...by this I mean the more you quieten them down with soundproofing , the more you may hear .
Which isn't entirely bad .

5 . The left mirror needs a blindspot mirror

6 . The seat belts have the power to retract equal to a popcorn fart.

7. They aren't impossible to work on . Sophisticated enough to have good function , but not impossible for the average Joe to deal with .

8 . A big ol Fl-1 ford oil filter screws right on a 4.0

9. A Rubicon. Is a good base to build on ..it's not the only way , but it can give you a head start .

10. Suspension work matters , and not just the brand , but the thinking in how it is set up also matters.

11. Tire pressure matters.

12. Backward door handles take 6 months to wire into your brain .

13. The Tj forum is a must.

Last edited:
haha love number 12...when I bought mine I actually thought it was on backwards.

Reactions: Chris
16. I wish I lived in all 50 states, so I could do a side-by-side comparison of all my 'perfect' mods that someone did better and posted about it 15 minutes after I was done.

Reactions: StG58 and Squatch
Tracking gas mileage is like tracking build cost . You sometimes just don't want to know.

Reactions: Squatch
Haha nice list! Your note is spot on and coming from a guy that had a JK and lots of disposable income to throw at it I would have kept my TJ and spent the money more wisely. Hindsight is 20/20 and all. Every day between Chris, Blaine, and Mr. Bransford, among many, many other users, I learn something new, something better or a preconceived notion is dispelled with firsthand experience and facts.

1. Mileage on the TJ means quite little. As we've learned here a well maintained Jeep won't have premature failures of any components outside a handful like the OPDA or possibly fuel pump. When I looked for a TJ again I looked for one as stock as possible that was well taken care of. Lets me know the PO wasn't a risk-taker so I get the best blank slate I can get for a vehicle that's been out of production for over a decade.

4. (the first one) Totally agree, the TJ is the best the Jeep has ever, and sadly, will ever get.

8. This might be heresy but I put a Fumoto valve on mine. They had just released one that fit the TJ that has a right-angle on it so allows a little more clearance. I'd love to get a skid in front of it one day.

10. Buy once, cry once. I cheaped out on some things with my JK only to turn around and have to do it again the right way or in some cases just be uncomfortable with what I had.

12. No kidding!

13. I look up stuff all the time if only for the sake of filling up my brain with TJ stuff. I search here first before venturing elsewhere, even on my general matters. Tip: the forum search is not to my liking but if you go to Google (or your preferred search engine) you can type site:wranglertjforum.com and then your query to limit results to this domain.

Reactions: AndyG
I recently came really close to buying a JK Rubicon just to see what the four-door life was all about... My wife sat in the thing and said this is not a Jeep! It's an SUV!

Then she went on to say what are you trying to do just spend money.

I have been trying to get my mind around the JK and JL series for a long time and I finally came to this conclusion... With the CJ being pretty much obsolete, the YJ being too much of a Chrysler product , the JK and JL ... When compared to the TJ... Simply just become the next best thing.

I just can't find enough about them that I like more than my TJ to make me want to spend the money. It is the 3.6 V6 that bugs me.

I just don't think it is in the correct vehicle. I can see it being great in the two door but when it comes to the four-door I think that they need larger displacement.

I'm no authority and I don't really even know why I feel that way but I do.

Reactions: danof76
I grew up riding in CJs on the ranch, bought a YJ after my Lancer wrecked then bought a TJ then sold it and got a JK and missed the TJ all the time. I'm back in a TJ again and couldn't be happier.

Like you said, the JK doesn't feel like a Jeep, even when I had one I hated the four door ones. I had a couple of friends that owned them so it's not like I never rode or drove them either. JL at least is more what a JK should have been but at that point I would just as well buy something else probably if I couldn't have a TJ, XJ or YJ (in that order).

I'll hate on the JK all day, but that's just me... and maybe a lot of people here! Even when I sold the TJ my friend, who had a JK already, would tell me I just missed the low payments. Then I modded it and refinanced it lower, then he would tell me I just miss the half doors or something (and I still do).

Nah, the TJ is just a totally different experience. Even that same, good friend of mine, who had to let go of his JKU, is telling me now how badly he wants to try and get into a TJ or XJ now instead of another JK (and his first Jeep was a TJ).

The TJ is really the CJ-7 refined ..and the CJ-7 was the best driving , most capable , most accepted civilian jeep til it's run ended. It was used as an example of freedom and adventure in movies , ads and TV.

I understand they are different platforms , but the feel is still there .

That's huge.

Reactions: danof76
I still prefer the geared 300 trasfercase over the 231 and I like lock outs, less wear and tear...Tim

But the ride of a TJ is so smooth and nice, kinda like a ....