What is it about the look of Metalcloak fenders that some do not like?

I have no problem with the looks of MC fenders. I don't connect them with grumpers or the brodozer look any more than any other tube fender that's been going on Jeeps since before the TJ. If anything it reminds me most of a SxS or buggy.

If they were around the price of MCE's, I'd probably have put a set on my 99 back around 2018, but knowing they didn't gain any more clearance than the MCE's they were too pricey for just aesthetics.

The crawlteks and some of the highlines (genright) for example are cool in my eye because they are almost industrial in their implementation. There is something to be said for the "just enough" aesthetic. They are there to solve a problem. I'm not generally a fan of flat fenders on TJ's. I think they look truncated and there isn't any purpose to them. They don't increase clearance...so its purely a visual thing. I happen to like the stock fenders pretty well...(Note: if anyone has a set of OEM Front Fenders in good shape, lemme know). They do what they need, they hold the hood latches and turn signals well, and they are cohesive with the rest of the tub design. I personally find MCE fenders ugly, even though they do serve a purpose. They are better than the cheap aftermarket shit you get from China through Amazon though.

I personally find MCE fenders ugly, even though they do serve a purpose.

I wish the outside edge followed the hood line instead of being strictly parallel with the longitudinal axis of the vehicle. When you start with 4.5" at at the kink of the fender it gets really wide at the front edge and that was my biggest issue with it.

1663358349125.png

for reference, see Genright.
1663358390791.png

I wish the outside edge followed the hood line instead of being strictly parallel with the longitudinal axis of the vehicle. When you start with 4.5" at at the kink of the fender it gets really wide at the front edge and that was my biggest issue with it.

View attachment 359984

for reference, see Genright.
View attachment 359985

While I dont disagree with your assessment, and I agree with your opinion, they are probably taking design cues from the old CJs that are flat and also do not follow the hood line.
1663358636417.png

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
The crawlteks and some of the highlines (genright) for example are cool in my eye because they are almost industrial in their implementation. There is something to be said for the "just enough" aesthetic. They are there to solve a problem. <snip>

There is a certain stark beauty in that functional simplicity. The wartime CJs are a brilliant example.

Reactions: Zorba and Mike_H
While I dont disagree with your assessment, and I agree with your opinion, they are probably taking design cues from the old CJs that are flat and also do not follow the hood line.
View attachment 359987

Couple things..thats a 3B...and put a cap on that bottle of gas so when it tips over it doesn't become a rocketship

View attachment 359987

given that the MC in MCE stands for "modern classic", I'd say that's exactly what they're doing and it certainly echoes the old flatty design. I just didn't find it to have design continuity on my TJ.

Reactions: PRNDL
Oh, I don't know about all that. There's something about a bright red TJ with highly polished chrome tube bumpers front and rear with the matching nerf rails that isn't to be despised.
Beauty, or fugly, is truly in the eye of the beholder. Some people appreciate a gay light bar while others don't. 😆

• Haha
Reactions: BugoutJeep
Beauty, or fugly, is truly in the eye of the beholder. Some people appreciate a gay light bar while others don't. 😆

What does a straight light bar look like?

Also... do gay light bars shine rainbow lights?

So much to learn here.

The thing that makes it fun to pick on MC stuff is how riled up people get about it. I know not everyone likes my genright fenders, and that’s okay with me. I chose them because I really like them and they fit my personal vision for the Jeep.
47DE1EAE-1FA8-4DF8-8137-113ED54D999F.jpeg

Hell, Blaine mentioned the other day that he doesn’t like the aesthetic of the flak armor he built for a rig and I later copied for mine. I personally disagree and really enjoy the aesthetic. All about building the rig the way you want to use it and see it every day, not for other people on the internet, or cars and coffee or whatever y’all do.