What is the best 35 inch tire for the TJ? Ride quality and road noise isn't a concern

Lilred06

I’m in need for a new set of 5. I’m currently running the wrangler MT/r and I’m actually a big fan. They slid around a lot less on dirt than my horrible firestones and the Kevlar sidewalls gave me a bit of peace of mind. I just recently took them out on the snow and they performed terribly, I’m not sure if it’s the wear on them or just the tire itself. Now I could just pick up a new set but I figured I should take this opportunity to find the best tire for my needs.

Unlike other tire posts here, I don’t care about ride quality or noise. I want to keep my current size of 35x12.5r15 but anything close is fine. I personally prefer something a little squishier but that’s not a priority. The jeep weighs about 4100 lbs currently on fox 2.0 shocks and OME springs.

download (5).jpeg

I don’t think the MTR exists at all anymore. What will be “best” depends on the terrain it’s going to be on and no tire will be best at all different conditions.

I’m in need for a new set of 5. I’m currently running the wrangler MT/r and I’m actually a big fan. They slid around a lot less on dirt than my horrible firestones and the Kevlar sidewalls gave me a bit of peace of mind. I just recently took them out on the snow and they performed terribly, I’m not sure if it’s the wear on them or just the tire itself. Now I could just pick up a new set but I figured I should take this opportunity to find the best tire for my needs.

Unlike other tire posts here, I don’t care about ride quality or noise. I want to keep my current size of 35x12.5r15 but anything close is fine. I personally prefer something a little squishier but that’s not a priority. The jeep weighs about 4100 lbs currently on fox 2.0 shocks and OME springs.

I had MTR's, and while they are great off-road tire, they suffered in wet conditions and snow/ice. I ran STT Pro's and then tried KM3's. I think the KM3's are better than the STT Pro's in snow/ice, but the STT Pro's are better off-road. They are equal onroad, with BFG's perhaps lasting a few thousand miles longer. I'm going to go back to the STT Pro's with my next tire.

I've also used Maxxis Razr, but my experience was not long enough to give a good evaluation, and they are now on my sons TJ, so I don't know how he's faring.

I've been a big fan of Cooper STT Pros on my truck for the past 8 years. I live in the PNW and have had them in all sorts of conditions with no issues, other than ice of course. I'm considering switching to them on my TJ down the road.

I have 37" STT pros on my daily driver JT. I've been impressed. Wear nice, balance well, grip pretty good both on road and off. They do a decent job of putting the diesel's torque to the pavement. I really like them.

Running 35" Mickey Thompson Baja Boss tires on my TJ now. Haven't had them for too long but they worked well on the couple outings I've taken them on and spin smooth without any balance whatsoever.

My gladiator I'm running MT Baja Boss MT 35x12.5x17, and they have been phenomenal offroad here... just extremely loud on pavement. They have been on for about 40k, and are just over halfway worn... just started the next iteration of the 5 tire rotation (every 5-8k miles), I hope to get all the way through this rotation cycle. These are a Load D tire. EDIT: The BB M/T is available in a 35x12.5x15

I just put Falken Wildpeak AT3 33x12.5x15 on the TJ. They are leaps and bounds quieter than the BB M/T on the JT. I can't wait to get offroad with them and see how they perform, and get some mileage on them to see how they wear. I know they come in a 35 as well, just not sure if in a 15... They are a Load C tire.

I have 37" STT pros on my daily driver JT. I've been impressed. Wear nice, balance well, grip pretty good both on road and off. They do a decent job of putting the diesel's torque to the pavement. I really like them.

Running 35" Mickey Thompson Baja Boss tires on my TJ now. Haven't had them for too long but they worked well on the couple outings I've taken them on and spin smooth without any balance whatsoever.
Would buy 5 mtrs right now if they still made them,but will go with the Baja boss next time in 35.surprisingly my m/t mtz-p3 do really good in wet conditions.

Reactions: John Cooper

Yes, I've loved them. On my second set. I put Baja Boss ATs on my wife's GC Trailhawk and really like them. It never sees more than a forest service fire road (though 99% asphalt daily driver). They look great and handle well so far. I'd try them on the TJ if they came in 33 or 35 on 15s.