What is the difference between K&N PS-2004 and HP-2004 oil filters?

R3ID05TJ

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
:geek:
HP filters are the highest quality oil filters that K&N offers, designed for exceptional filtration and long-lasting, durable protection.
High flow rates and exceptionally efficient filtration

- Heavy-duty canister for excellent durability

- Fast and easy wrench-off® removal

- Pre-drilled nut for safety wire attachment

- Anti-drainback valve (where applicable) keeps oil in the engine to help prevent dry starts

- Rolled threads help ensure durable filter mounting

- Heavy duty base plate with double-rolled seal

- 1-Year Limited Warranty
————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————-
PS filters are the economy filter.

- Fluted canister for easy installation and removal with a traditional oil filter wrench

- Compatible with synthetic, conventional, and blended motor oils

- Available for both canister and cartridge oil filter applications

- Rolled threads help ensure durable filter mounting

- High flow rates and highly efficient filtration

- 1-Year Limited Warranty

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kid Mechanic
I dont know, high flow seems like a major marketing red flag. id start looking up micron ratings of filters before being concerned about how fast the oil flows through it. if its flowing fast your certainly not filtering out the finer particles unless its been on there for quite some time and already fairly plugged up.

theres nothing wrong with a good run of the mill wix oil filter or as jerry recommends Fram (though I still personally won't buy Fram, im still stuck on the old reputation they acquired). I dont see the reason to spend extra for the K&N name with more than likely a lesser quality filter.

Reactions: NOTNSUV and bucky
You might look at part numbers FL-300 and MO-090, rockauto and Walmart have decent prices. They are both the factory Jeep design and don't cost more than most that are available. If you hold one of the two filters I listed and any other filter available today in your hand the difference in design and quality is very obvious.

Reactions: JDM
No need to spend money on a name. Buy the top end auto parts store filter and be done. I have seen how much dirt their high flow air filters let through. I can only imagine how bad their high flow oil filters are.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
XP is long life/extended oil change interval. I have *heard* the filter media is less restrictive i.e. doesn't filter as small and thus I avoid XP. Not sure how sound that reasoning is, but it's what I do.

Reactions: 03coloradowrangler
Why would it be considered longer life if the filter is less restrictive and doesn't filter as small of particles?

Also I'll just throw out there Wix 51515 is a larger version of the 51085. It fit on my older stroker block with the angled adapter, but there's not enough room on my '98 block without the adapter.

Reactions: WestCoastDan
Why would it be considered longer life if the filter is less restrictive and doesn't filter as small of particles?
Doesn't clog up as quick? I dunno, just read it a couple places on the web. That's why I couched my comments the way I did. Take them with a grain of salt.

I don't know about K&N oil filters, but since their air filters are SO bad...
I watched The worst oil filters on the planet where a guy cuts open some oil filters and compares them, and I decided to never touch another Fram oil filter.
WIX is good, and NAPA Gold (made by WIX).
Just my 2¢
I also used to believe Fram oil filters were the work of the devil and such internet crap really steered me away from them. Then with around 8-10 others I got invited as a "journalist" to Fram's R&D lab in Dayton Ohio in 2014.

This is that trip and where I learned to eat a lot of crow.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...it-to-frams-r-d-facility-in-dayton-ohio.9042/
I learned enough that I felt like an idiot for having believed all the internet BS about Fram's oil filters (if it's on the internet it must be true right?) and have run nothing but Fram's Tough Guard oil filters since then. It actually filters better with its 99% filtration efficiency than most other filters since most only have a 95% filtration efficiency. And no, there is no cardboard anywhere inside a Fram filter... despite the claims of some.

Reactions: SSTJ
Oh, yuck, am I gonna have to eat crow too?
I came to that event "armed for bear" with examples of people claiming problems or that they used cardboard inside Fram oil filters but they already had a bunch of examples of them ready for the discussions and went through all of them. I was pretty shocked/amazed just how much bullshit I had been believing for so long. Yep I mentally ate a lot of crow.

That taught me a big lesson on not believing everything I read on the internet. :)

I also used to believe Fram oil filters were the work of the devil and

I still do, but due to the fact I've seen a few engines that were destroyed when the filter media basically shredded/broke down, and wedged its way into every bearing. The AMC 360 looked like someone had thrown wadded up toilet paper into it, and let it circulate. The Toyota 4AGE failed with spun bearings due to the filter getting wedged into them, this was after the first oil change on a rebuild. Fram accepted responsibility for both, and replaced them, so good for them, but I'll never run an orange filter.

I still do, but due to the fact I've seen a few engines that were destroyed when the filter media basically shredded/broke down, and wedged its way into every bearing. The AMC 360 looked like someone had thrown wadded up toilet paper into it, and let it circulate. The Toyota 4AGE failed with spun bearings due to the filter getting wedged into them, this was after the first oil change on a rebuild. Fram accepted responsibility for both, and replaced them, so good for them, but I'll never run an orange filter.
Sorry but I'm not buying that the media inside a K&N oil filter came loose and destroyed two engines as described. Especially the "wadded up toilet paper" bit.

If Fram oil filters really had that problem it'd have been all over for them many years ago and I wouldn't have been running their filters for years problem-free!