What is the most important recovery gear to have?

thekidwithquestions

Acquiring Jeep funds...
Supporting Member
me and my dad are just getting into off-roading and I need to know what the most important recovery gear is?
just tell me expecting that I have 0 recover gear currently,
also what brands for each piece are best for quality to price ratio
thanks

Reactions: NOTNSUV and Matt888
me and my dad are just getting into off-roading and I need to know what the most important recovery gear is?
just tell me expecting that I have 0 recover gear currently,
also what brands for each piece are best for quality to price ratio
thanks
#1 Make sure your jeep has recovery points
#2 Buy a good winch rated 8K or more (I like synthetic rope)
#3 Couple of quality shackles for connections (metal or soft shackles) Make sure they are rated accordingly.
#4 You need a tree saver strap, keep it and your winch controller accessible for when you get stuck.
#5 Extension strap for when you don't have enough cable. Can double as a tow strap.
#6 Snatch block that will work with your wire type (steel or synthetic)

Brand is really going to be debated. Lots of cheap China stuff out there. I have a warn M8000S (synthetic rope) and a Smittybilt kit bag with straps and stuff. Its cheap stuff, but has held up so far.

8k winch. Synthetic Rope. A dash mounted switch, or anywhere quickly accessible in the event of a near flop. @taylormade73 was in a real precarious position in Moab and we had to have two guys hold his rig to keep it from flopping while we dug around for a controller. Would have been nice just to pull rope immediately and get him out of it. Recovery points. Soft shackles. Tree strap. Tow strap. Snatch block. Tactical Recovery Gear and 4low parts is where I would buy from.

Last edited:
Attachment points and a rope in that order, nice leather gloves help too. A shovel is also a good idea. Most clubs wont even let you join on a run without attachment points and a rope or strap, that's why I say they are the most important things. A winch is allot starting out, they are dangerous and take allot of gear and experience to use safely. As a beginner you should always be in a situation where there are other people around to help out, the whole don't wheel alone thing.

Reactions: thekidwithquestions
The most important gear is your brain. Couple common sense with synthetic rope and shackles, and you can get out of anything you will likely get into. Hint, common sense means going with someone else, to help when needed.

Like stated earlier about looking for needed components. I do not have in cab controls but I keep my controller in a bag with a soft shackle next to my seat, and another soft shackle around the sport bar drivers side incase I need to pass things out my window.
9A3A598F-43F3-48EE-8573-98CC12B831E9.jpeg

Edit: if your recovery points are soft shackle friendly.

Last edited:
The most important gear is your brain. Couple common sense with synthetic rope and shackles, and you can get out of anything you will likely get into. Hint, common sense means going with someone else, to help when needed.
X2.

Always 2 rigs, and communication, either cellular, ham or GMRS (but not for long distance comms), or those satellite gizmos, and always tell folks your intended route and times. Watch the weather and follow your instincts.

We have 2 groups in our immediate area (including our off-road club) and another very well trained group in the Reno area that do recoveries at no charge. Maybe look around your area for some similar folks. Also, our County Sheriff has a dedicated Deputy for recovery duty.

And learn how to properly and safely use your recovery gear. Rigging correctly will be the difference between a successful self-recovery and a long walk, or worse. Lots of training online, most of it pretty good.

P.S. www.sidewallslug.com

End of lecture.. Rock On!

Last edited:
Longer is better but it really depends how you are stuck. 3/4" 30 foot or what TRE calls an 18,000 lb kinetic. Nothing wrong with cheap harbor freight strap when you are starting out depending on your budget. Just avoid metal hooks.
Additionally make sure your rope or strap is made for kinetic recovery if you're going to be yanking a vehicle free. A tow rope/strap is not the same as a recovery rope/strap.

Last edited:
Reactions: someguysjeep