What is the most important recovery gear to have?

Simple dash mounted control

67D-CF-MNT-WARN-001_695x695.png

Number one recovery item in my opinion is a kinetic rope
like the Voodoo Rope I have or a Bubba Rope.

On Galveston Island's "Empty Quarter" at the San Luis Pass,
I have recovered many vehicles.
Most of them much larger and far heavier than my 1998 TJ Sahara.
Made new friends the first day when all I had was a cheap recovery strap.

n8XMIyhJ73pfxvUVLM8-b6ZBe6WJqNr8wgLiMx=w800-no-tmp.jpg

Equally important would be sturdy wooden dowels.
Use them to secure the strap or rope.
They can be easily removed after the recovery to release the rope.

Get the straps or ropes that have a loops in the ends.
Not the ones with metal hooks.

The dowels can also be used to join two ropes or straps together
when you don't want to drive into the yogurt.

45XMiNXZR_OyKGcWYGrnZrVlX2tPhhEhM1iPxB=w800-no-tmp.jpg

Second item would be a short shovel like an entrenching tool.

Third would be the remains of the broken first cheap tow strap purchased.
Expendable and cheaper than soft shackles.
Use them to tie onto stuck vehicles however you can.

Let the person you are recovering attach the strap to their vehicle.
That is in case hard parts are pulled off.
This is a favor, I tell them. I am not responsible if something breaks.
The only price I charge is a photograph. So...

Fourth is your cell phone. Not to call for help
but to take pictures of the grateful but humiliated people you recovered.
Then post pictures of the victims here on this forum.

This is the last vehicle I recovered, a German tourist
who stuck his sand-sniffing, Series Seven rental BMW.

eroxREZ_mJvqJClG98SjgQtZknkZt92UKKUCbc=w800-no-tmp.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: thekidwithquestions
me and my dad are just getting into off-roading and I need to know what the most important recovery gear is?
just tell me expecting that I have 0 recover gear currently,
also what brands for each piece are best for quality to price ratio
thanks
Everyone is going to offer opinions but without knowing what you consider "offroading" it's all just noise as far as actual need and priority. Some consider a fair weather day driving forest service roads as offroading and others think of extreme Johnson Valley rocks, some think of beaches and sand dunes, others a flatland day in the mud Exactly what do you plan to do?

Reactions: RMETeeJay
GearAmerica Off-Road Recovery Kit | Tow Strap + Tree Saver + Heavy Duty Snatch Block Pulley + Orange D-Ring Shackles + Winch Line Dampener Bag + Recovery Gloves | Ultimate 4x4 Winching Accessories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q5J3JSD/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I bought this last year because it basically contained everything I needed minus the winch(which I already had) in a nice self contained package that ALSO doubles as a winch weight to dampen the stored energy of a steel winch cable.

I’ve used it several times over the last year and everything seems to be holding up well.

Plus it’s ORANGE!!!!

me and my dad are just getting into off-roading and I need to know what the most important recovery gear is?
just tell me expecting that I have 0 recover gear currently,
also what brands for each piece are best for quality to price ratio
thanks

Recovery points. If it's an aftermarket bumper, the shackles to go with those recovery points (one or two is sufficient here since you can move them around). After that, a kinetic rope.

If you get a winch, don't forget a tree saver. Actually if a winch is in your future I think the following kit is a great value and comes with a bag to keep everything in one place (important - fishing for recovery gear is not cool). You can often find it on sale for well under $200. I got mine for $160, it's $180 right now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097SUH40/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: Zorba
Recovery points. If it's an aftermarket bumper, the shackles to go with those recovery points (one or two is sufficient here since you can move them around). After that, a kinetic rope.

If you get a winch, don't forget a tree saver. Actually if a winch is in your future I think the following kit is a great value and comes with a bag to keep everything in one place (important - fishing for recovery gear is not cool). You can often find it on sale for well under $200. I got mine for $160, it's $180 right now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097SUH40/?tag=wranglerorg-20
That's a good kit. The "Jeep" branded one (also by Warn) MSRs at about the same price, but doesn't have as much in it! I paid $60 for that version on eBay - then had to add a snatch block and tree saver to it.

Also something that can’t be stressed enough, a good pair of boots! I don’t know how many people I see wheeling in crocs…

Also something that can’t be stressed enough, a good pair of boots! I don’t know how many people I see wheeling in crocs…

That's good advice. I wear hiking boots and have muck boots at the ready. Having been stuck in the mud a few times without quality muck boots I finally learned my lesson.

Reactions: TRE3TOP
That's good advice. I wear hiking boots and have muck boots at the ready. Having been stuck in the mud a few times without quality muck boots I finally learned my lesson.

It’s not only mud but good ankle support is key. Rolling an ankle 6 miles into the woods is never fun.

Reactions: Mobusaki
Haha. One time I was headed down Odessa canyon (so cal calico) just above "pucker pass", I had stopped to gauge it, get a feel. I here a Jeep or two in the distance coming up, Then I smell marijauna. A beat up TJ rolls on through pucker pass without even looking (everyone in his TJ was smiling). He gets out, shorts, NO SHOES and proceeds to guide his buddy passed it who is smiling but scared to tackle it. I am sure they had a great time that day.

Bottle jack. I used it wheni got stuck in a slippery mud road. I had my front driveshaft deleted to change the ujoint. I jacked the front axle 5-6 times while me and other good samaritan pull-pushed from front bumper. The rear wheels got stuck in a muddy trench. I tried all methods i could do before jacking the front. Putting floor mats under tires,lifting back and putting rocks. Nothing helped. Only jacking and hand pull worked out.

Reactions: thekidwithquestions