What is this on the positive terminal of my battery?

IdahoWoody

Supporting Member
Just purchased a 1997 Wrangler Sahara, 4.0/5spd. While driving home the voltage gauge dropped and engine light came on. After reviewing threads here, I am starting the process of cleaning and tightening terminals and grounds, then will look to the alternator. Really hoping it is not the OCM. At any rate, the positive side of the battery has something I havent seen before. Was hoping you folks may be able to tell me what it is and why it is needed. Please see image of battery with a circled set of 3 blocks between the positive terminal and the main starter cable. I have not been able to find anything like it via online searches, but probably just searching for the wrong thing.

Thank you for any advice!
IdahoWoody...

Jeep Battery.jpg

Thanks all. The breaker is heavily corruded. Should I replace it or go a different direction (shut-off, resetable, direct wire)?

Thanks all. The breaker is heavily corruded. Should I replace it or go a different direction (shut-off, resetable, direct wire)?
Connect the winch directly to the + post, get rid of that HFT kludge. Winches (and the engine starter too) are normally connected directly to the battery.

Thanks all. The breaker is heavily corroded. Should I replace it or go a different direction (shut-off, resetable, direct wire)?
You will get 10,000 answers/arguments to this. In my humble opinion, connecting directly to the battery without *some* kind of circuit protection is foolhardy at best. A winch is not a starter - its much farther away and is exposed to more "risk". I have both a 500 amp fuse and a remote controlled 500 amp solenoid mounted near the battery. Both can be easily bypassed in the field with simple hand tools in a matter of seconds in case they fail and you have a "gotta use this winch NOW" situation on your hands.

Reactions: GaTechTJ
You will get 10,000 answers/arguments to this. In my humble opinion, connecting directly to the battery without *some* kind of circuit protection is foolhardy at best. A winch is not a starter - its much farther away and is exposed to more "risk". I have both a 500 amp fuse and a remote controlled 500 amp solenoid mounted nearby. Both can be easily bypassed in the field with simple hand tools in a matter of seconds in case they fail and you have a "gotta use this winch NOW" situation on your hands.
Contact mainstream winch manufacturers like Warn, Superwinch, Ramsey, etc. and ask why all their instructions say to connect it directly to the battery.

Contact mainstream winch manufacturers like Warn, Superwinch, Ramsey, etc. and ask why all their instructions say to connect it directly to the battery.
That's nice. Since when have I ever paid any attention whatsoever to "mainstream"? You do it your way, I'll do it mine. That way we're both happy! Warn et al aren't going to be in my Jeep in the unlikely - but still greater than zero - event there is an "incident". The most likely scenario in my mind is a frontal collision, I'd just as soon have that #2 wire dead up there, all things being equal.

Wow! Yes it does. Is this part of the Badlands install?
Yep, I removed the one that was installed on mine as it too was close to the hold down. I didn't want to have it shorting out. I replaced it with a reset-able circuit breaker. I understand that it may not need it, but I like the peace of mind knowing that the winch is not live all the time.

That's nice. Since when have I ever paid any attention whatsoever to "mainstream"? You do it your way, I'll do it mine. That way we're both happy! Warn et al aren't going to be in my Jeep in the unlikely - but still greater than zero - event there is an "incident". The most likely scenario in my mind is a frontal collision, I'd just as soon have that #2 wire dead up there, all things being equal.

You do make a convincing argument on this. At least the fuse part. I'd probably just go with a disconnect instead of a solenoid and just close it as part of my routine of airing down and disconnecting before hitting the trail. I had a close call last year working on my Jeep and just shorted a small 20ish AWG wire feeding a switch to a light bar...i was seconds away from a fire in my garage on a jeep that couldn't roll.

If you know, do you mind saving us the pain of getting through the automated phone system to talk to a human? I'm genuinely curious because this is something that bothers me every time I mess with winch wiring.

Reactions: Zorba
I never had any safety stuff on my CJ as it pertained to my winch power, and once my dual terminal yellow top came loose from the battery hold down clamp and fried on the winch leads. I realize nothing would have saved me in that scenario (beyond a better method of securing the battery), this thread has me thinking about the more likely chance of a front end collision with my TJ being my daily. Fuses get bulky and expensive for the rating a winch will require, and I've never seen parasitic draw to worry about cutting power to the winch alone. But how about that WARN power interpretation kit? Wouldn't this be a more sensible approach should something go awry? Just kill everything off the battery until you get it sorted out.

Screenshot_20211128-130258_Chrome.jpg

If you know, do you mind saving us the pain of getting through the automated phone system to talk to a human? I'm genuinely curious because this is something that bothers me every time I mess with winch wiring.
Warn's Customer Service Department is always available to chat, I've never had trouble reaching a competent person there.