What is this thing?

So before this then people just died if they drove a Jeep without this stuff. That’s hardcore...people were tougher back then

You can get rid of them if you live somewhere without emissions testing (like where I live). But if you live in California, I'd keep them, since the communists will come for you otherwise.

So before this then people just died if they drove a Jeep without this stuff. That’s hardcore...people were tougher back then
😆 They lost a lot of unburned fuel out the gas cap for sure. I guess you can move it as long as it still functions, unless you get one of those inspection stations that goes by the book. 🤓

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevlarr
No, it's to cut down on how much pollution was emitted from vehicles regardless if they are running or parked in storage. Same reason we have nylon fuel line cause it emits far less gas vapors than old school rubber based hose. That's why old classic cars just reek of gas. Just be glad it's the old style evap system, it just has one vapor line to a Y fitting at the gas tank. The newer evap system is a mess of lines and valves all over by the tank and rear wheel well.

Later Jeeps they moved all this evap emissions stuff behind the tail light. Early generations had it on the fender under the hood on the left side. If you want to really trip out, 1996 & 1997 manufactured TJ's used manifold vacuum and it was a round canister with less pipes and brackets. 1998+ that had this style pictured from the O.P. had the cruise control servo also mounted to the canister bracket on the drivers inner fender under hood.

Gotta know all this when you're in the SMOG business.....

RR

Reactions: Airjunky