What is this thing?

Later Jeeps they moved all this evap emissions stuff behind the tail light. Early generations had it on the fender under the hood on the left side. If you want to really trip out, 1996 & 1997 manufactured TJ's used manifold vacuum and it was a round canister with less pipes and brackets. 1998+ that had this style pictured from the O.P. had the cruise control servo also mounted to the canister bracket on the drivers inner fender under hood.

Gotta know all this when you're in the SMOG business.....

RR
Can you move stuff like that and still pass smog?

Excellent information! I’m so glad I asked and got great answers instead of torched. So thanks for that. I have my compressor for my ARB air lockers in that location but it’s possible I could move it. I like getting it out of the way completely though so the fender local is making sense...

It's been about 4 years. How long before I get a check engine light on mine? :)
Maybe jeep didn't give a damn about the canister. My experience is mostly with Toyota and they sure throw a tizzy if anything is wrong with the evap system.

Can you move stuff like that and still pass smog?
You can but the early tubs don't have the spot welded bracket in the tub behind the tail lamp. Everything has to be extended that runs that stuff and if you have cruise control, you'll have to mount the servo elsewhere since it mounts to that bracket the evap canister is attached to.

RR

Reactions: Kevlarr
Not having the canister there gives me space for 1) the two compressors for the Rubicon lockers, 2) the Viair onboard air compressor and 3) the compressor box for the Stay-In-Play auxiliary braking system.

7C27EBD5-7C82-48C6-80FD-79F1CFD07DC5.jpeg

Replace the canister with a hose. Nothing else to it. I'm not saying anyone should do this. My only point is that in my experience there has never been a CEL from the lack of a canister, nor were there any unusual smells afterwards.
So the canister has 3 hoses on it. What did you do with them? Just block them off?

I'm trying to squeeze the Stay-in-Play Duo tow brake system in my TJ. Probably on that side of the engine compartment. So I'm doing this mod with the evap canister. I moved the canister under the 2nd battery tray, which is a little tight. Now I'm going to put the Stay-In-Play box on top of it like Turbo TJ did. And the on-board air compressor where the canister originally was to begin with.

Last edited:
So the canister has 3 hoses on it. What did you do with them? Just block them off?

I'm trying to squeeze the Stay-in-Play Duo tow brake system in my TJ. Probably on that side of the engine compartment. So I'm doing this mod with the evap canister. I moved the canister under the 2nd battery tray, which is a little tight. Now I'm going to put the Stay-In-Play box on top of it like Turbo TJ did. And the on-board air compressor where the canister originally was to begin with.

I replaced the canister with a hose. Nothing more, nothing less.