What is your winch tension when not in use?

CptnMurica

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I look around and didn’t really see anything definitive. On my winch I got it hooked and it doesn’t have tension on it. It’s not going anywhere. I don’t think it matters. Anyone strongly disagree?

036A721C-E7E0-4C0D-AB6A-D77B0C8BBB86.jpeg

I do mine similar and just tap the winch in button to secure it. The tension is minimal. I don’t think yours is coming off without help.

EDIT. The main thing is you want to spool the full line while it’s under tension so that if you have to use it for a pull the line is tight on your spool and no give

Last edited:
Mine is taught enough on the fairlead to not fall off or be pulled off

The idea is to have it spooled tight enough on the drum so if you need to do a pull, the tension doesn't force the line to go through all the loose turns to the bottom of your drum. Doing so could damage your line and make it hard to unspool. Just respool after each use by winching yourself up a small incline or with your ebrake slightly engaged.

edit: i see you are talking about the thimble, not the actual line. I don't think it really matters.

Last edited:
I hope it doesn't do what the rear seat belts do when they are just left to blow in the wind.
Its not going anywheres for sure. Used it last weekend probs 30ft. Of it. Ya I need to respool when I use it. Thanks for reminding me guys.

Last edited:
A tightly packed drum is more important than how tight the thimble or hook is pulled for storage. As far as that is concerned, you don't want the end flopping around. Nor do you want it pulled so tight that you break something.

A tightly packed drum is more important than how tight the thimble or hook is pulled for storage. As far as that is concerned, you don't want the end flopping around. Nor do you want it pulled so tight that you break something.
Makes sense to me.