What lift for 33s?

Crispy

I am new to The Jeep community and just picked up a 2006 Rubicon Dana 44 front and rear. It is stock besides a new front bumper with a winch. I'm not sure what lift to choose I think 3in. will be fine. But I want to stay far away from rough county or any suspension that has rough in the name. I wont be doing anything crazy with it like rock crawling or mudding just driving through my pasture here and there. But I do want something that handles well on the road because that's mostly what Ill be doing with it. My budget is around $1000-$2000. If possible I would want an all in one kit so I don't have to mix and match or half way through install realize I need different shocks or control arms. I just need some advise.

Off the cuff you need to get something along the lines of an OME 2” lift, Dirk at DPG Offroad would be a good one for you to call.

A body lift beyond the suspension lift would be a good way to get the height with less changes and extra cost.

The white Rubicon has that and 33” tires. The green beast is 4” and 37” tires.

We did equally well on the same hill today. The TJ turned around in tight places easier and the LJ handled ruts better with the taller tires.

CD21A8ED-2FDF-4B7D-97C2-B91806F7689E.jpeg

Off the cuff you need to get something along the lines of an OME 2” lift, Dirk at DPG Offroad would be a good one for you to call.

Andy, you intention is good here but Dirk is not an expert that understands the fundamentals correctly. Go back and read that clusterF DPG thread with fresh eyes and your recent new found appreciation for how everything needs to work together well for a good jeep. I think you will stop recommending DPG if you understand that discussion properly.

@Crispy —> read these threads below, better information here. Instead of the Savvy body lift mentioned there, consider the one from Black Magic Brakes. Shocks will be your biggest problem and you will need to think about what is it that you REALLY want from your jeep and go from there. There is no magic "use this kit" solution, you just need to understand the pros and cons of what you are getting and have realistic expectations.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/a-recipe-for-an-affordable-but-quality-2-5-lift.41687/

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/so-you-want-to-run-35-tires-on-your-tj.2428/

As far as a complete system I recently installed a BDS 3” lift. Overall it went well. I also ordered front and rear adjustable track bars instead of using the rear relocation bracket and having to drill a hole on the front bracket. I also picked up lower front control arms, but I am not sure I really need those. I have 33” installed and it looks pretty good.

Wanted to add the above is within your budget. Without the extras i purchased the lift kit is under $800.

Last edited:
Kind of a loaded question and the suspension theory in these parts is a bit biased and in some cases misinformed but you'll still get a few opinion outside the echo chamber. You dont' need a lift for 33s and are you referring to a 33x12.5 a 285/75-ish, a 33x10.5?

If you just want a lift then lots of brands and kits not named rough that you can choose from.

Kind of a loaded question and the suspension theory in these parts is a bit biased and in some cases misinformed but you'll still get a few opinion outside the echo chamber. You dont' need a lift for 33s and are you referring to a 33x12.5 a 285/75-ish, a 33x10.5?

If you just want a lift then lots of brands not named rough that you can choose from.

Sigh .. It doesn't have to be this way.

What bias and misinformation are you talking about?

Reactions: Rickyd
Sigh .. It doesn't have to be this way.

What bias and misinformation are you talking about?

Happy to discuss in DM's. No reason to spoil the new guy's first post/thread.

The point is, take things here with a grain of salt.

Man that thing is a beast I already planned to give dirk a call I think I will go with OME 2in. I have never been a fan of body lifts though. I know you can fit 33s stock but with open fenders (with no travel at all) I think I can make it work with 2in. alone.

Happy to discuss in DM's. No reason to spoil the new guy's first post/thread.

Fair to not clog up this thread.

Since I have seen you mention this more than once, so maybe you should start up a thread and explain what it is that you keep hinting at.

Reactions: MightyJoe
Man that thing is a beast I already planned to give dirk a call I think I will go with OME 2in. I have never been a fan of body lifts though. I know you can fit 33s stock but with open fenders (with no travel at all) I think I can make it work with 2in. alone.

There is nothing to be afraid of with body lifts as long as you don't get junk made with squishy crap like the one JKS sells (and Dirk happily recommends without understanding why it is bad). The below one from BMB works well, really really well. It is made with material that won't compress under load and is designed exceptionally well by someone that really understands how body mounts work.

https://blackmagicbrakes.com/ols/pr...its-97-06-tj-and-tj-unlimited-all-trim-levels

Reactions: MikekiM and Ocho

I have 4 different rigs and the only one (not a jeep) that I didnt build the suspension myself is on OME and a chief reason is because it actually rides really nice. The PO put it on and I left it. As far as travel with no lift, there isnt much you can do anyway unless you cut off factory bracketry, you are either losing down travel or losing up travel.

I agree with @psrivats on body lifts. Nothing really wrong with them, I have a body lift on one of my Jeeps from M.O.R.E. and it's nice. IF I had to do it again though I would just cut off the old frame mounts and just weld on new body mounts and forgo the hockey pucks but not everyone can weld or has access to one.

https://mountainoffroad.com/collections/wrangler-tj/products/1-body-lift-97-06-tj

So $200 for hockey pucks or $200 for HD weld mounts.

https://motobilt.com/products/high-...7PY6eozUpIcgU7_Tzq5_229xnmNGk_CwaApqFEALw_wcB

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 4 different rigs and the only one (not a jeep) that I didnt build the suspension myself is on OME and a chief reason is because it actually rides really nice. The PO put it on and I left it. As far as travel with no lift, there isnt much you can do anyway unless you cut off factory bracketry, you are either losing down travel or losing up travel.

I agree with @psrivats on body lifts. Nothing really wrong with them, I have a body lift on one of my Jeeps from M.O.R.E. and it's nice. IF I had to do it again though I would just cut off the old frame mounts and just weld on new body mounts and forgo the hockey pucks but not everyone can weld or has access to one.

https://mountainoffroad.com/collections/wrangler-tj/products/1-body-lift-97-06-tj

So $200 for hockey pucks or $200 for HD weld mounts.

https://motobilt.com/products/high-...7PY6eozUpIcgU7_Tzq5_229xnmNGk_CwaApqFEALw_wcB

From what I have seen and learned, the Genright raised brackets are better than MB (design wise) if going that route. That would be my choice (it is 1.25" despite what the webpage says).

https://genright.com/black-friday-2022/body-mount-lift-kit-tj-lj/

But to the OP —> don't fear a body lift. I once felt the same way as you do many years ago and then learned why they are really beneficial over time.

I am new to The Jeep community and just picked up a 2006 Rubicon Dana 44 front and rear. It is stock besides a new front bumper with a winch. I'm not sure what lift to choose I think 3in. will be fine. But I want to stay far away from rough county or any suspension that has rough in the name. I wont be doing anything crazy with it like rock crawling or mudding just driving through my pasture here and there. But I do want something that handles well on the road because that's mostly what Ill be doing with it. My budget is around $1000-$2000. If possible I would want an all in one kit so I don't have to mix and match or half way through install realize I need different shocks or control arms. I just need some advise.

JKS 3" Jspec kit. 100% complete with everything you need. And in your price range.

I have that kit and 33s. Been running it for a little over two years and super happy with it 😁

Many TJ owners are satisfied with the 3" Zone lift. Easy to install, inexpensive, and will get you setup for mild off-roading as intended.

I wouldn't go too far down the rabbit hole researching suspension considering how you intend to use the rig. Inform yourself but don't over analyze.

One thing I'd add to your purchase is a front adjustable track bar.

Reactions: Rickyd

I had an ome 2" with a 1.25" body lift and 33s. I'm replacing it with currie/rockjock parts as i go.the body lift makes working on the tj so much easier.from replacing a clutch to shocks and gas tank r&r. While a 4" spring lifts travel would be best offroad I'm having a hard time giving up the body lift.

You might think you can get by without an sye at 2" lift but i couldn't.

For 33s at least 3" lift is warranted.

Do you have 3.07 gears and no intention of regearing? If so I'd probably do a 1-2" puck lift and 31s.

Last edited: