What MPG are you getting?

I get around 15- 15.5.
16” wheels
Overdrive off.
Mostly off road plus 80 or so highway miles to and from my jeeping spots.

What diameter tires you running Richard? Your mpg looks to be about normal vs the usage by most I have seen in this thread.

I was told early on that my transmission repair would have little to no effect on my then 12mpg figure. That has been proven wrong as the first tank registered 16mpg followed by 16.8mpg...this is with a CEL for O2 sensors. Waiting to see if the new sensors have any effect other than making the CEL disappear lol.

Tires are just shy of 32”
Falken Wildpeak
265- 75R 16

I have the 42rle and I turn the overdrive off when on the highway.

I didn’t check fuel mileage before switching off OD. But I’m getting 270-280 miles or so per tank when before it was 200-240

Wow! I've been toying with staying in 4th because 5th is running only 2100 rpms at about 60 mph. The most I've gotten to a tank is probably 265-270.

I can't really go by tank range...rarely let any of my vehicles get below a quarter tank. The math says mine should be able to go 300+ miles with my 19 gallon tank...not interested in testing it lol. ;)

Reactions: R49
Backstory - I foolishly ordered a new PCM from WranglerFix without consulting Mark first back when I had the transmission problem and code P0700. Ended up being a bad solenoid pack and nothing to do with the PCM.

Fast forward - After repairing the transmission everything was great, but it began throwing those emission codes. I replaced all the O2 sensors and today the CEL came back on with the same codes...dammit boy! This made little sense to me knowing I had never seen these before...that's when the light came on in my brain. Just for giggles I swapped the old factory PCM back in this afternoon and took it for a drive. Guess what? No thrown codes.

My suspicion is the WranglerFix PCM is programmed with different parameters to throw red flags than the factory PCM. I'll give it some more time, but I'm betting this is the case. Could be worse...all it cost me is the price of four new sensors. At least I'm not going further down that rabbit hole for no reason lol.

I did test today switching off OD and locking up the TC in 3rd gear...only about a 300rpm decrease. Any mpg gains would probably be minimal, but worthwhile...if I can remember to throw that switch when I get in lol. I'm thinking 17mpg is going to end up being about the limit cruising with my particular Jeep.

Much of this has little to do with this thread, but I thought it might be of interest to some. Bottom line is talk to Mark @ WranglerFix first before ordering a PCM...it may make a difference as he has seen plenty.

Reactions: Moglocker
Backstory - I foolishly ordered a new PCM from WranglerFix without consulting Mark first back when I had the transmission problem and code P0700. Ended up being a bad solenoid pack and nothing to do with the PCM.

Fast forward - After repairing the transmission everything was great, but it began throwing those emission codes. I replaced all the O2 sensors and today the CEL came back on with the same codes...dammit boy! This made little sense to me knowing I had never seen these before...that's when the light came on in my brain. Just for giggles I swapped the old factory PCM back in this afternoon and took it for a drive. Guess what? No thrown codes.

My suspicion is the WranglerFix PCM is programmed with different parameters to throw red flags than the factory PCM. I'll give it some more time, but I'm betting this is the case. Could be worse...all it cost me is the price of four new sensors. At least I'm not going further down that rabbit hole for no reason lol.

I did test today switching off OD and locking up the TC in 3rd gear...only about a 300rpm decrease. Any mpg gains would probably be minimal, but worthwhile...if I can remember to throw that switch when I get in lol. I'm thinking 17mpg is going to end up being about the limit cruising with my particular Jeep.

Much of this has little to do with this thread, but I thought it might be of interest to some. Bottom line is talk to Mark @ WranglerFix first before ordering a PCM...it may make a difference as he has seen plenty.

Gaffa tape over the CEL works a treat!

When I was on 33s it was not uncommon to hit 19 mpg with 4.56 gearing. When I jumped to 35s and 5.13s my mpg is pretty darn consistent at 15.5.

Last edited:
Rough estimate with the auto swap (5.13, 42rle, 35s) is 10.5 city. I don't do much highway on average so that's still unknown. But the first mountain trip suggested about 14-15.