What other projects are you working on?

My electrical panel had nothing labeled correctly. The "kitchen" breaker would turn off the master. The "Nook Area" turned off the living room, "Dishwasher" controlled the kitchen outlets, but not the dishwasher, had an unlabeled double 30 amp breaker, and many more. So yesterday I took nail polish removal and wiped the entire panel clean. I shut off everything and then went thru one by one and turned everything back on and relabeled it all.
20230430_143814[1].jpg

Tore the living room apart. Moved most of the furniture out, took the paintings down, the rifles off the walls, the pair of ancestor altars apart, rolled the piano into a different room, etc, etc. Will start removing about 2/3rds of the laminate floor, labeling each plank for re-assembly.

Next week, a plumber is gonna trench right through the middle of it! New sewer pipes replacing the old cast iron, and new fresh water plumbing while we're into it.

Started pulling the floor. The first row was a bitch - whoever installed this floor installed it too tight, had to use a sonic cutting tool to plunge cut at the edges, then still wasn't able to get the first row out without some damage - fortunately on the bottom side. The rest of it should be a piece of cake - I pulled the second row up in about 3 minutes - after plunge cutting on both ends.

But just to make the experience complete and in compliance with the current on-going Mercury Retrograde - I had a ceiling fan running, pulled the chain to shut it off and the chain came off in my hand! Fan's still running with no way to turn it off. So I'm just letting the thing run until I'm done with pulling the floor tomorrow, then I'll drop the fan as I decided to repaint the ceiling while I had everything out of the room anyway. I'll replace the switch and put the fan back up when I'm done...

DSC01944.JPG

DSC01945.JPG

And yea, I just got home from Belly Dance class - you can see me in my practice gear in the mirror.

Reactions: lBasket
My electrical panel had nothing labeled correctly. The "kitchen" breaker would turn off the master. The "Nook Area" turned off the living room, "Dishwasher" controlled the kitchen outlets, but not the dishwasher, had an unlabeled double 30 amp breaker, and many more. So yesterday I took nail polish removal and wiped the entire panel clean. I shut off everything and then went thru one by one and turned everything back on and relabeled it all.
View attachment 421226

My brain read "nook area" as "nuke area". And that's how I realized it's almost 0200 and I'm still awake for some reason.

That vapor barrier under your original slab is critical. especially where you live. For your sake , I hope care and attention to detail is taken to tie a new one to the remaining VB. No one enjoys floor tile popping off and finished wood flooring warping due to moisture intrusion. Keep an eye on your contractor.
But hey the PVC plumbing will be a big plus !

Reactions: RINC and Zorba
Concrete went in today - and yes, a vapor barrier was installed. Why, I don't know as there didn't seem to be one there under the original slab!
DSC02017.JPG

DSC02018.JPG

DSC02019.JPG

DSC02020.JPG

This last picture shows how the *nice person* who built this cheezy addition routed the pipe going to the hose bib outside - by boring sideways through the stud! So the pipe in question was inside the room - not in the wall. To make it complete, they somehow managed to glue PVC to CPVC inside the ceiling. Anyway, I scabbed in the 2x4 to the right in an attempt to recover some of the stud's strength, and the new piping was brought down inside the wall and to the left of the stud!

Concrete went in today - and yes, a vapor barrier was installed. Why, I don't know as there didn't seem to be one there under the original slab!
View attachment 425176

View attachment 425177

View attachment 425178

View attachment 425179

This last picture shows how the *nice person* who built this cheezy addition routed the pipe going to the hose bib outside - by boring sideways through the stud! So the pipe in question was inside the room - not in the wall. To make it complete, they somehow managed to glue PVC to CPVC inside the ceiling. Anyway, I scabbed in the 2x4 to the right in an attempt to recover some of the stud's strength, and the new piping was brought down inside the wall and to the left of the stud!

If you look at the photos of your saw cut trenches the polysheeting you see at the edges of the trenches were your original vapor barrier. that was all that was between your finished floor and the high Florida water table. 4-5 inches of porous concrete doesn't really help.

Bathtub is in - apologies for the soft photo:

DSC02024.JPG

Son in law removed the kitchen tile, still has the "thin set" to get off which he's calling "thick set" as whoever put the old tile down laid the adhesive down just as thick as the tile!
DSC02025.JPG