What should I change next to make my TJ drive better?

Cmhbaseball

I have a 5 inch lift on my 98 Jeep Wrangler tj. I have recently started to improve my lift so it would drive better. I started with the front lowers control arms. I figured it was time for something else to be added. What should I change next? Rear upper control arms or the front track bar is what I have been told? What do y’all think, are those good? If so which ones or what would y’all improve next instead of those? Thanks

Post up some photos of what you have and we can better assist you.

DA9D2203-3853-4EB9-9A7F-6F2C77DE0A5C.jpeg
20F38F57-1854-42AA-9E83-ED8A4554FEA7.jpeg
6A4CF139-B7C4-4484-91C9-354C2789E0EB.jpeg

Wasn’t for sure why pictures would be best but I took these three this morning. I am pretty sure all is stock besides the front lowers which I did a few mine the ago

It looks like you have a dropped pitman arm, but your track bar has a the original mount on the frame. A picture of that would help some.

Whatever you do have for those, the original pitman arm and track bar mount would be better.
X2. Go back to a stock pitman arm or buy a drop for the other side. (That's why photos help)

It also appears to have a stock TB, an adjustable would allow you to center the front axle again.

Are those 35" tires? If they are and you wheel it I'd also look into the Currie currectlync, or similar, to beef up the drag/tie rod.

1) Put a stock pitman arm back on.
2) Those front brake lines are far to short. If you ever get this set up to articulate you'll be pulling on them hard.
3) Adjustable track bars would be nice to re-center the axle under the frame.
4) Your front pinion seal looks like it leaks pretty good - how's the oil level in the front diff?
5) What's your tire pressure?

Describe how it drives? What is bothering you? How bad are the rear driveline vibrations?

Time for a factory pitman arm.
This is my all time favorite front end correction thread.

" Figured it was time to change something....."

.....what should I do next.

This is called random parts replacement in hope of a good result. Aka, shooting in the dark.

I'm not trying to slam, but maybe a nice, gentle wedgie up over the head will help.

I see so many tjs like this....built randomly and improved just as randomly. This seldom works. Quality is never an accident.

What you need to replace are only the parts that are incorrect for the lift height, worn or damaged. And if you don't replace them with quality parts, it will either not drive better, or won't for long.

These are the basics-

Good tires. I know it's a grand or more.

Good hub/unit bearings

Correct tire pressure

Correct toe, caster and camber- proper alignment

Centered axles

Parallel axles

Solid bushings- basically all good connections , includes all control arms and the track bar (that's a control arm also)

Good Shocks

Good sway bar links help

Good ball joints

A decent stabilizer needs to be on it, but don't expect it to correct bad performance.

Learn to do a dry test, get a tape measure and let these guys help you figure out where you are on this thing, and how to get it where you want to be.

I'm not saying you have to invest $5000, but what I am saying is those are the categories. I've straightened out a bunch of them.

I fixed one Saturday that was getting squirrelly. Dry test, then 2 parts...a drag link end and a track bar. Jeep drives near new.

Stay on here. We will help you. We are the Jeep guys your mom warned you about.

I have a 5 inch lift on my 98 Jeep Wrangler tj. I have recently started to improve my lift so it would drive better. I started with the front lowers control arms. I figured it was time for something else to be added. What should I change next? Rear upper control arms or the front track bar is what I have been told? What do y’all think, are those good? If so which ones or what would y’all improve next instead of those? Thanks
Shocks and tire pressure are the #1 and #2 ride quality items.

If you’re running rough country shocks, that’s your #1 problem.

If you’re running 35’s your tire pressure should be around 24-25psi. Any more and it will ride like crap.

I agree with the dripped pitman arm and adjustable front trackbar and brake line comments above. Report back.

Reactions: AndyG
If you can be specific about what you mean by "drive better" then I think people will be able to help better. Are you having any specific problems? Noises, vibrations, clunking, steering issues, death wobble? Just want a smoother ride? Too stiff going over bumps? Not stiff enough going over bumps?

Shocks and tire pressure are the #1 and #2 ride quality items.

If you’re running rough country shocks, that’s your #1 problem.

If you’re running 35’s your tire pressure should be around 24-25psi. Any more and it will ride like crap.

I agree with the dripped pitman arm and adjustable front trackbar and brake line comments above. Report back.
Good post. A TJ is actually designed to build and drive really nice ....and they do.. right up til people start messing with them.

They really aren't hard to get right, but man they are easy to mess up.

I'm totally serious...14-21 years out of production and it's hard to find one that is still where it needs to be up front....but if you will take the time to dial it in, you will be pleasantly surprised. I'm a good steering fanatic...all 2 door jeeps have a short wheel base, and they go from great to bad so fast...I can't enjoy one that drives bad. I'm not an expert...I told @Hog last night I get grief on some steering threads, but every one we tackle drives better. Of course, that's not a huge statement...most of them are so out of whack in the market, especially if lifted/modified, it doesn't take much to make them better.

Maybe that is just me...but I know what they are capable of being, even when lifted. The difference in one that drives good and one that doesn't , as far as being able to relax and enjoy it, is really huge to me.

Last edited:
i drive the interstate everyday at 75-80 mph with no problem. I am trying to make it ride better over bumpers and none smooth roads. It drives good just trying to get it to ride smoother I guess. I run 305/75/16 so what tire pressure should I run?

I am trying to go with a metalcloak track bar to match my control arms. Which track do y’all recommend? There’s a few to choose from. Again I have a 5 inch lift with about 33s if that deals with anything

Guys here will say Currie first, JKS second. I personally have JKS and haven’t had a problem. MetalCloak doesn’t have a good reputation in here.

when I had work done to my herlni asked the guy what he recommended and he said he always does metacloak on all jeeps. I already have lower control arms that are metalcloak. Would like to match with it instead of swapping brands but if it metalcloak are not good then I may reconsider it. I had a death wobble before I put the new lower control arms and ever since it has drove a lot better besides over bumps or gravel roads. Anyone running metacloak?