What should I do with my TJ?

Yeah, I get what you're saying. Again, I think it depends on personal preference.

My TJ has 156k on it, but I've done all the work getting it mechanically sound. As such, I will hop in it and drive it anywhere within a 500 miles without hesitation (longer than that is more a question of what my back can take, not the confidence i have in my rig).The 4.0 is known to go up to 300k miles without major problems. I kinda feel like mine is just getting broken in.🤣

I wouldn't hesitate to buy and build a TJ or an XJ with the 4.0 if it had less than 200k on it (with the caveat that it was not beat on a bunch and didn't have a ton of obvious problems).

Mine's got some mileage on it but runs great. And I mean I could buy one with 80k miles on it that has problems, right? Makes more sense I think just to enjoy what I already have and fix or upgrade things when it makes sense financially.

Who knows, 10 years from now I might have 44's with selectable lockers, 5.13 gears, 35" in tires, and a stroker, or could still be rocking 235/75r15's with 3.07 open diffs and way too much lift ... probably going to have the same amount of fun either way ...

Reactions: 97TJNM
I want to run the smallest tire that will look "normal" with the lift, will 31's be ok? I love the tip on the 4 cylinder axles, that is a great idea.

I had 31s with a 4" lift for a few hours.

RUBI ZONE LIFT big (2017_11_20 00_38_12 UTC).jpg

• Love
Reactions: RINC
Worth it? Boy, that's a loaded question. Most of us here have invested more into our Jeeps than our Jeeps are actually worth.

Strictly from an accounting perspective, is it worth it? Probably not. But my jeep lets me have tons of fun, repair parts are relatively cheap and it is really easy to work on. From that point of view, it's absolutely worth investing in.

I'm realistic in that I don't ever expect to get out of my jeep what I put into it, but now that the upgrades are a sunk cost, it's reliable and fun. Hard to ask much more than that from a 26 year old vehicle.

Wait - we can’t sell our Jeeps for what we have into them???

Ohhhh Fu%#+¥’…

If it didn't have a lift, I wouldn't lift it, but I can't see removing the lift as making any sense whatsoever. More sensible just to regear, add bigger tires and an LSD and enjoy the capability.

I'll be the voice of reason, as unpopular as that may be. If you don't have a need for a lifted Jeep, and would be just as happy with one at stock height, I recommend ditching the lift. It will likely be far cheaper to return the suspension to stock than to buy bugger tires and regear. It will also likely drive a lot better than it does with the current lift.

I'll be the voice of reason, as unpopular as that may be. If you don't have a need for a lifted Jeep, and would be just as happy with one at stock height, I recommend ditching the lift. It will likely be far cheaper to return the suspension to stock than to buy bugger tires and regear. It will also likely drive a lot better than it does with the current lift.

true, but a rear LSD is in the plan regardless. So I'd only save about half the regear cost.

I guess if removing the lift isn't too hard it is still a quite viable option.

Reactions: deadbeat son

maybe a little. i keep coming back to 235/85r16 as being the perfect size assuming i don't remove the lift. a nice, narrow 32.

i guess maybe a wider 32x11.5 tire provides more rollover stability though, whereas the narrower tire might do better on packed snow or ice. have to think.

but 32 seems like a nice compromise, Dana 35 with a truetrac should be fine for moderate usage. i don't off-road for off-roading sake, i just like to go on some forest roads that get a little dicey.

another nice thing about 32s is that they would pair nicely with the 32rh and some used 4.10 axles from a 4 cyl tj ...

maybe a little. i keep coming back to 235/85r16 as being the perfect size assuming i don't remove the lift. a nice, narrow 32.

i guess maybe a wider 32x11.5 tire provides more rollover stability though, whereas the narrower tire might do better on packed snow or ice. have to think.

but 32 seems like a nice compromise, Dana 35 with a truetrac should be fine for moderate usage. i don't off-road for off-roading sake, i just like to go on some forest roads that get a little dicey.

another nice thing about 32s is that they would pair nicely with the 32rh and some used 4.10 axles from a 4 cyl tj ...

Tires for 16" wheels are usually E rated, stiff riding and cost more. Why not stick with your 15" wheels?
p.s. I had 32s on my old 98'.

RED JEEP (2).jpg

Last edited:
Tires for 16" wheels are usually E rated, stiff riding and cost more. Why not stick with your 15" wheels?

well i need winter wheels anyway - will definitely run studded snows. as for E rating, i guess puncture resistance is improved and if you run the correct air pressure ride quality isn't too bad.

a lot of people run too much air in E rated tires but if you look at the load inflation tables you don't need air them up to anywhere near the limit.

well i need winter wheels anyway - will definitely run studded snows. as for E rating, i guess puncture resistance is improved and if you run the correct air pressure ride quality isn't too bad.

a lot of people run too much air in E rated tires but if you look at the load inflation tables you don't need air them up to anywhere near the limit.

I ran 25 psi in my 31s (Rubicon stock 16" wheels) and they still rode stiff to me.

Reactions: wv_kid
They'll fit, but might rub without some wheel spacers. I've always used wheel spacers with stock wheels.

spacers probably reduce rollover risk ... although by the time you pay for spacers, may as well get wheels.

what wheels are those on your 98? i love that look.

If anyone want to go back to stock, I have it all. Control arms, front and rear trackbars, springs, transfer case skid, that silly mess to shift your transfer case. It's all heading to the scrap pile this spring since nobody in the local groups is interested.

Reactions: RINC
If anyone want to go back to stock, I have it all. Control arms, front and rear trackbars, springs, transfer case skid, that silly mess to shift your transfer case. It's all heading to the scrap pile this spring since nobody in the local groups is interested.

appreciate that but given the distance to spokane and the fact that swapping it all sounds like a PITA, i am prob just gonna keep the rough country lift unless i find i just can't stand it. so far it seems fine.

true, but a rear LSD is in the plan regardless. So I'd only save about half the regear cost.
I have installed an LSD differential in two different rearends without doing anything other than simply swapping the carrier. Just ensure the backlash afterwards is the same as before.