What TJ Forum sins have you committed in your build?

Yeah, I guess the sin with the 16" is the availability of tires other the "E" range, but I love the factory MOABs on the Rubicon, so kinda stuck there. I get the "E" range tire because of its weight and heavy construction affecting ride, it's my daily driver in summer but I don't have far to go. Funny but in the stable I have a vehicle on each of 14", 15", 16", 17", and 18" wheels!

I think the dislike for 16" wheels is anyone NOT running oem wheels.

I think the dislike for 16" wheels is anyone NOT running oem wheels.
Nope, not that at all. The reason buying 16" wheels is not recommended is that a 16" wheel is kind of an oddball size and there's simply not nearly as much of a selection of tires and wheels for that size as there is for 15" or 17" wheels. Plus 16" tends to be more expensive too. 16" is just not as popular or as commonly found as 15" and 17" is.

When have you gone against the consensus on the forum, and done something to your TJ that you know isn't recommended or well-received here? This could get interesting.

I'll start:
  • I have used a steering damper to mask death wobble temporarily
  • My shocks currently limit my suspension travel in both directions, and my bumpstops are removed altogether in the rear
  • I run load range E tires and 16" rims
  • I installed a high flow water pump and 11-blade Explorer fan and clutch instead of factory parts
  • My armor is almost all steel
My 06 LJR came stock with load range e and is listed as the replacement tire on the door sticker.....Some tire places won't install a lower range tire on a vehicle for liability reasons. I still run an e load range but have a way lower psi. Rides great.

37s on dana 44's!

37s-stockAxles.jpg

I don't know that I'd call this a forum sin... But I've definitely installed some parts that I regret. The biggest one is the JKS body lift... The really crappy thing is that it's basically the same price as the SAVVY so there really is no excuse, other than ignorance. I wanted to place one order vs multiple, so I bought what the vendor had when I did my lift.

Knowing what I know now (that the JKS pucks will deform) I wish I had done SAVVY in the beginning. Now, I have two body lifts...

Last edited:
Reactions: D M
I don't think this thread is supposed to be a confessional booth where we get an assignment of penance.

I think it's so we can brag about what we've done, whatever it is, at least I hope so.

Either way, I don't know if this thread is supposed to be about stuff we we knew were "sins" before we did them or stuff we found out were "sins" after we did them? Maybe both? Hmmm...

Anyway, here's my two different "sins":

I bed lined the whole inside of my tub, the grille, the bumpers, the rubicon rocker guards and fender flares and I LIKE IT LIKE THAT!!!

I also have Load Range E 16" tires but after almost 3 years I kinda wish I would have skipped that sin. No biggie though, life, and Jeeps always seem to change.

Reactions: Hog
I try to not commit any forum sins, but for a vehicle that's over 20 years old, I'd rather just replace broken components with stuff that is known to work. Cry once kind of a thing and avoid the new $60k vehicles and just pick the stuff that seems to be reliable for most people.

I bedlined the interior part of my Jeep and liked it at first, but now that the Jeep is so much more road friendly, I'm adding carpet and sound deadening stuff that I originally removed, which tends to be the experience most people have had on here.

I went years without a sway bar, though I do prefer the anti-rock and it probably is a bit safer, but I just drive faster now, so maybe not.

Reactions: gaabbee
Bought my Jeep without inspecting the frame. I know big sin. I now use my new found infinite Wisdom on the issue to stear other poor sinners in a path of righteousness.

Metalcloak lift "kit".
Though to be honest only parts of it seem problematic for my needs.

The real sin was not doing more research before buying stuff.

Reactions: Thunderhead
I've got a couple Smittybilt components. Though I think both are modified.

I did order a rear smittybilt bumper, but never installed it. I need to get rid of it probably. Figured I'd try to sweeten some deal at some point with a brand new bumper or something.

Metalcloak lift "kit".
Though to be honest only parts of it seem problematic for my needs.

The real sin was not doing more research before buying stuff.
Hah it must be an Everett thing. I did the sames.

• Haha
Reactions: TJTJ04 and Vasq