California What Trails in California Actually Require a Jeep?

Will I need a Jeep for what I want to do?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ovicior

Wondering if I can get away with a Rav4 everywhere. I don't plan on rock-crawling. I just want to go off-road, hit Lake Tahoe in winter, see the mountains, death valley, etc.

I'm looking at a Jeep Wrangler 4xe Sahara for 2500 + 560/month before tax. Pretty decent deal for 3 years/10k. Insurance is also much cheaper on those than more practical vehicles like Tesla.

Would I actually need a Jeep Wrangler for parts of California (including in the winter) or can I get away with a Rav4? It's just much cheaper than paying $8k a year to lease a car.

Moving to SF for context. Please talk me into getting the Sahara 4xe.

Last edited:
Wondering if I can get away with a Rav4 everywhere. I don't plan on rock-crawling. I just want to go off-road, hit Lake Tahoe in winter, see the mountains, death valley, etc.

I'm looking at a Jeep Wrangler 4xe Sahara for 2500 + 560/month before tax. Pretty decent deal for 3 years/10k. Insurance is also much cheaper on those than more practical vehicles like Tesla.

Would I actually need a Jeep Wrangler for parts of California (including in the winter) or can I get away with a Rav4? It's just much cheaper than paying $8k a year to lease a car.

Moving to SF for context.

You would not need a Jeep for parts of Ca.

Concerned about $8k per year lease on a car? Moving to SF isn't exactly practical financially.

• Haha
Reactions: inkedrose
You would not need a Jeep for parts of Ca.

Concerned about $8k per year lease on a car? Moving to SF isn't exactly practical financially.

I make good money and can definitely afford it, I just want to know if I can get away with spending less. My irresponsible side vs my rational side.
My question is, which parts require a Jeep?

I make good money and can definitely afford it, I just want to know if I can get away with spending less. My irresponsible side vs my rational side.
My question is, which parts require a Jeep?

Money no object, Jeep or anything 4wd is the easy button. What you can get away with depends on your driving skill.

"Require" is an extremely, extremely relative term. Nothing "requires" a Jeep.

Reactions: B1Toad
Money no object, Jeep or anything 4wd is the easy button. What you can get away with depends on your driving skill.

"Require" is an extremely, extremely relative term. Nothing "requires" a Jeep.

I have no off-road experience. Wrangler seems to be the way.

Can you please describe it lol I'm really out of my depth here. Describe the fun parts or what the fun could be please

If you're just looking to visit the touristy places a regular vehicle, ie the Rav4, will get you there. If you are looking to venture off that beaten path and on to an actual off-road "trail" a Jeep Wrangler is better suited. You can do a trial membership to an app called OnX off-road that will show you trails in a particular locale and even rate the difficulty (I believe) so you can avoid the trails that may be more difficult than you are comfortable tackling.

Last edited:
If you're just looking to visit the touristy places a regular vehicle, ie the Rav4, will get you there. If you are looking to venture off that beaten path and on to an actual off-road "trail" a Jeep Wrangler is better suited. You can do a trail membership to an app called OnX off-road that will show you trails in a particular locale and even rate the difficulty (I believe) so you can avoid the trails that may be more difficult than you are comfortable tackling.

Definitely trying to go off the beaten path. Thank you!

Reactions: CMBD
It sounds like you just want people to tell you to get the wrangler...so go get the wrangler.

However, you won't find a lot of love for the newer ones here. This forum is full of guys who like the old wranglers (1997 to 2006). We're a bit, ahh....different.

Reactions: B1Toad
It sounds like you just want people to tell you to get the wrangler...so go get the wrangler.

However, you won't find a lot of love for the newer ones here. This forum is full of guys who like the old wranglers (1997 to 2006). We're a bit, ahh....different.

Here's what I would get if I had to move to SF

1713965154656.png

Definitely trying to go off the beaten path. Thank you!

You can check out overlanding videos on YouTube to get an idea of where to go what to expect. There are a lot of great destinations in Ca. that don't involve super difficult wheeling.

Revere Overland, The Story Till Now, and Venture2Roam have Ca. episodes. And I think all three are sponsored by OnX and they share the trip maps.

Reactions: Rickyd

Moving to SF for context. Please talk me into getting the Sahara 4xe.

From what I know, if you're heading to Lake Tahoe or other snowy mountain spots in winter, you need a car that can tackle deep snow and icy roads. The RAV4 with AWD and snow tires does pretty well, but the Wrangler's 4WD is definitely better for serious winter weather. It just has more muscle for those tough conditions.

Yep, that's us in the right lane trying to keep up with the semi's

• Haha
Reactions: inkedrose
It sounds like something like a Grand Cherokee or 4Runner may be a better fit for your needs than a Wrangler - but when did anyone here ever go by needs?

Here's what I would get if I had to move to SF

View attachment 521424

you just like that for the factory grumper.

OP: you'll probably be happier in the rav4. I suggest you get that, at least until you find yourself unable to go somewhere you want to go. Which is something that may or may not happen.

I like going places that most people can't, at least not easily. If that's your goal, get the jeep.

Last edited: