What u-joints come on the TJ?

Thanks, I saw it but I also saw that it changes from year to year, just wanted to be sure!

No worries! Those are the ones you want, they'll work on any year of TJ, and they'll be an upgrade over stock.

I have 2003 TJ non-Rubicon I currently have 103350 miles on it should I change out the Drive Shaft U Joint and the U Joint on the axles? I checked the drive shaft the rear has very to non play on it and the front has no play, I only did a visual check on the axles see nothing wrong with them I got the Jeep with 84,000 miles on it, don't know if the previous owner had changed them out. So big question should I change them all out?

I have 2003 TJ non-Rubicon I currently have 103350 miles on it should I change out the Drive Shaft U Joint and the U Joint on the axles? I checked the drive shaft the rear has very to non play on it and the front has no play, I only did a visual check on the axles see nothing wrong with them I got the Jeep with 84,000 miles on it, don't know if the previous owner had changed them out. So big question should I change them all out?
The advice I've received is that if you can fund the swap, do it. U-joints are cheap. Peace of mind is priceless.

Reactions: RussTJ
The advice I've received is that if you can fund the swap, do it. U-joints are cheap. Peace of mind is priceless.
Thank you. I'm planning on doing it soon, I been looking around for U Joint it's so many lol. Any recommendation? I live in the desert don't see too much rain also the ones I seen are grease able.

Lemme find the thread for ya. Jerry recommends a specific Spicer nom-greasable.

Edit: lol. This is the thread. First post, Jerry says which ones to get.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I noticed on the sheet that @derekmac posted, it shows a 5-433-1X for the rear U-joints on the front drive shaft for a non-Rubicon like my 05 X. I noticed that, although not impossible, those are a little harder to find than the 1310, 760, etc. Is there an easier-to-source equivalent for that joint? Can a 1310 be used in its place? It would certainly be way easier to stock up ahead of time, in case of random joint failure.

Here is a what is currently on Denny's website. I guess you cant get the 5-433-1x anymore.

When I click on that original link from Jerry that is shown as a Spicer 5-1310x, it takes me to Amazon but to the 5-1350x listing. Pretty sure that link somehow changed over time and is now the wrong reference (since he listed 5-1310x and the chart above from Denny's shows 5-1310x), and to make it worse the Amazon fitment guide says the 5-1350x fits and the 5-1310x does not.

Just wanted to clarify that for myself and anyone else looking - it's the 5-1310x we're looking for, correct?

When I click on that original link from Jerry that is shown as a Spicer 5-1310x, it takes me to Amazon but to the 5-1350x listing. Pretty sure that link somehow changed over time and is now the wrong reference (since he listed 5-1310x and the chart above from Denny's shows 5-1310x), and to make it worse the Amazon fitment guide says the 5-1350x fits and the 5-1310x does not.

Just wanted to clarify that for myself and anyone else looking - it's the 5-1310x we're looking for, correct?
I have found them much cheaper on rock auto. Amazon is getting real bad on prices.

Unfortunately i cant find local stores that carry a lot of Spicer products.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/dana,51310X,universal+joint,2392

There is also a CV centering yoke in there too. If you want to replace it too you need to check if l you have a greasable one or not.

According to dennys driveshaft if it has a greasable yoke you have to stick with greasable if not you can choose either.

Last edited: