What would it take to make these 3-wire LED turn signals work properly?

Tob

Paint-Matched Bezels Club
Supporting Member
I want to run these aftermarket turn signals on my TJ. I have MCE fenders, and I do not want to do the grille relocation or use the go-to tiny 3/4" indicators. I've found some 12 volt, 3-wire LED turn signals meant for motorcycles that I think would make a clean install under the front lip of the MCE fender.

1681587513693.png

Description says "Black wire connects to negative, Red wire to running light and Green wire to turn signal".
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09FPZM5RJ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I'm not very knowledgeable on the TJ turn signal circuit, so I could use some guidance here. I know that wiring up LED's will require some modification to the wiring, but I'm not sure what that is. What do I need to make these work? Do I also need to work something up for the side markers, such as the 2-wire version of the 3/4" amber LEDs? https://performanceaccessories.com/led-marker-light-3-4-inch-amber-by-mce-fenders-led1.html

You need turn signal and side marker. The turn signal has to be visible from the front and the side marker from the side (obvious). Everyone seems to have their own solution here, so it’s up to what you want. My turn signal is part of the headlight. My side marker is a 3/4” amber. I like your idea. Im terrible at electrical, so I’m not much help. I guess my way through till it works. 🤣

You will need to dig back in the harness far enough to get rid of the floating ground. Good new is that it is only three wires so it is easy to check with either a test light or multimeter. On my 98 is was solid black ground, black with stripe marker and light color wire was turn.

You need turn signal and side marker. The turn signal has to be visible from the front and the side marker from the side (obvious). Everyone seems to have their own solution here, so it’s up to what you want. My turn signal is part of the headlight. My side marker is a 3/4” amber. I like your idea. Im terrible at electrical, so I’m not much help. I guess my way through till it works. 🤣

I would like to see a side view of the light OP wants to try. It looks like it may have just enough lens where it could be seen from the side. Of course some states will frown but who knows.

I want to run these aftermarket turn signals on my TJ. I have MCE fenders, and I do not want to do the grille relocation or use the go-to tiny 3/4" indicators. I've found some 12 volt, 3-wire LED turn signals meant for motorcycles that I think would make a clean install under the front lip of the MCE fender.

View attachment 416750

Description says "Black wire connects to negative, Red wire to running light and Green wire to turn signal".
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09FPZM5RJ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I'm not very knowledgeable on the TJ turn signal circuit, so I could use some guidance here. I know that wiring up LED's will require some modification to the wiring, but I'm not sure what that is. What do I need to make these work? Do I also need to work something up for the side markers, such as the 2-wire version of the 3/4" amber LEDs? https://performanceaccessories.com/led-marker-light-3-4-inch-amber-by-mce-fenders-led1.html

The 3157 lamp and connector has 3 wires. 1 is ground and common to both sides of the blade on the lamp. The other two wires are separate and on either side of the blade if you look closely. I'd buy the 3157 adapters, wire those onto those marker lights and plug them in. No need to rework anything then.

Reactions: psrivats
The 3157 lamp and connector has 3 wires. 1 is ground and common to both sides of the blade on the lamp. The other two wires are separate and on either side of the blade if you look closely. I'd buy the 3157 adapters, wire those onto those marker lights and plug them in. No need to rework anything then.

Cool, didn't know something like that existed. So I'm looking for something like the below? And these will operate LEDs without a fast flash or other electrical issues?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0157DA9A0/?tag=wranglerorg-20

1681673885971.png

For the plain, two-wire side markers, did you have to do anything more than just splicing them into the existing wiring to get them working right? No fast flash or other issues?

I assume you used something similar to this for the side marker: https://www.extremeterrain.com/axial-jeep-wrangler-34-inch-led-marker-light-amber-lens-u9913.html

Since those lamps you linked to are 3-wire, you won't have to do anything finicky to make them work besides maybe change the flasher.

It's using an LED in the 2-wire side marker circuit where wiring changes need to happen. Your side marker currently has a parking lamp + and a turn signal +. You will need to hook those up appropriately and then run a ground and you'll be good.

Edit: If you are trying to run these in place of the factory front fender lamps, then yeah buying a male 3157 plug will work perfectly which you can just pop into the factory bulb socket. For whatever reason, I thought you were trying to put these in place for the side markers while still having something else up front.

For the plain, two-wire side markers, did you have to do anything more than just splicing them into the existing wiring to get them working right? No fast flash or other issues?

I assume you used something similar to this for the side marker: https://www.extremeterrain.com/axial-jeep-wrangler-34-inch-led-marker-light-amber-lens-u9913.html

2-wire is where you get into trouble. Can you elaborate on what you're doing exactly? The linked lamp is going in the front and you're still doing something else at the side markers? Or is this one you linked to going to be mounted in a way where you can see it from both front and sides?

The problem with LEDs is pretty simple once you understand it. In factory form, you have a 3-wire front bulb and a 2-wire side marker. You can install a 2-wire LED (single brightness because only 1 + and 1 ground), AS LONG AS the 2-wire bulb is non polar. The problem is, when the front 3-wire bulb gets converted to LED. The side markers depend on the front bulbs for ground, and only normal incandescents up there will allow the side marker to ground properly.

In other words, changing the front bulbs to LED screws the side markers up. People see their side markers screw up and assume the side marker is the problem. Kind of, but it's because they depend on the fronts. The fix is simple: wire the side markers to be independent of the fronts by giving them a dedicated ground, and use a couple of diodes and a small resistor to artificially dim the bulb. the diodes are so that the turn signal can be spliced into the same wire as the parking lamp and the two circuits not backfeed each other.

But there really is no advice that can be given until you elaborate on what you're actually wanting to do. The amazon lamp is fine as long as it's only replacing the front. If you expect to run a sidemarker as well, that will be a problem until you fix accordingly.

I swapped the relay in the steering column to avoid the flash fast. It’s an easy swap.

My 3/4” Amber is similar, but has 3-wires.

2-wire is where you get into trouble. Can you elaborate on what you're doing exactly? The linked lamp is going in the front and you're still doing something else at the side markers? Or is this one you linked to going to be mounted in a way where you can see it from both front and sides?

The problem with LEDs is pretty simple once you understand it. In factory form, you have a 3-wire front bulb and a 2-wire side marker. You can install a 2-wire LED (single brightness because only 1 + and 1 ground), AS LONG AS the 2-wire bulb is non polar. The problem is, when the front 3-wire bulb gets converted to LED. The side markers depend on the front bulbs for ground, and only normal incandescents up there will allow the side marker to ground properly.

In other words, changing the front bulbs to LED screws the side markers up. People see their side markers screw up and assume the side marker is the problem. Kind of, but it's because they depend on the fronts. The fix is simple: wire the side markers to be independent of the fronts by giving them a dedicated ground, and use a couple of diodes and a small resistor to artificially dim the bulb. the diodes are so that the turn signal can be spliced into the same wire as the parking lamp and the two circuits not backfeed each other.

But there really is no advice that can be given until you elaborate on what you're actually wanting to do. The amazon lamp is fine as long as it's only replacing the front. If you expect to run a sidemarker as well, that will be a problem until you fix accordingly.

Honestly, I am just trying to pass inspection. I have been running around without turn signals or side markers for a long time now and would like turn signals, but don't really see the need for side markers. It sounds like running both makes things more complicated. Unless there is a plug and play resistor and diode module I can just splice in, I don't care to hunt down those components and wire everything in and make it pretty and safe. I am fine with just settling for the front 3-wire turn signal.

So with that in mind, the shopping list looks like:
  • 3-wire turn signals
  • LED flasher module
  • 3157 adapters
Am I missing anything?

I swapped the relay in the steering column to avoid the flash fast. It’s an easy swap.

My 3/4” Amber is similar, but has 3-wires.

So you have front turn signals and side markers, both 3-wire, side markers having a dedicated ground like machoheadgames mentioned?

Reactions: JMT
  • 3-wire turn signals
  • LED flasher module
  • 3157 adapters
Am I missing anything?

With what you described as your motivation, in getting the motorcycle LEDs up and running, that’s all you should need. Just pay attention to which wires are getting spliced to the 3157 adapter wires and you should be good to go…

Reactions: Tob
Honestly, I am just trying to pass inspection. I have been running around without turn signals or side markers for a long time now and would like turn signals, but don't really see the need for side markers. It sounds like running both makes things more complicated. Unless there is a plug and play resistor and diode module I can just splice in, I don't care to hunt down those components and wire everything in and make it pretty and safe. I am fine with just settling for the front 3-wire turn signal.

• 3-wire turn signals
  • LED flasher module
  • 3157 adapters
Am I missing anything?

I missed this. Technically, legally per DOT you are required to have at least a constant running side marker at night (or at least that's what DOT requires manufacturers to ship the vehicles with - an amber reflector that is also illuminated with the parking lamps). The side markers do not have to blink by law. 99% of vehicles out there do not have blinking side markers (although many do have a side indicator on the mirror or on the body forward of the doors. The only reason people worry about it on their Jeeps is because from the factory they blinked....but they didn't technically have to.

If I were you with your needs, do the front 3 wire turn signals, then add a simple 2-wire parking lamp that is on when the parking lamps are on. No blink, no complication. Ground it to the tub. Easy, done, legal. No side indicators is the only downside, but again many other vehicles don't have them either.

Reactions: Tob
I need some diagnostic help. I am using Nilight TL-08 3-wire turn signals with the adapter pigtails I linked above.

F8D58616-DDD6-4F99-93D7-F59EFD7D9F3D.jpeg

E705CE27-3358-4B4D-AC8B-F2913645E4AC.jpeg

Factory black with yellow stripe to red on adapter to red on plug (turn signal). Factory grey/tan to blue on adapter to black on plug (running light). Factory black to adapter black is unused. White ground wire on plug is connected to headlight ground.

Driver side works perfectly, passenger side won’t respond at all. Switched parts around to confirm that they are not defective. Are my troubles coming from the fact that I left the factory ground unused?

@MichaelGH @machoheadgames

Do you still have no side markers? You’re just installing these ovals into the grille or what?

The ground for the oval doesn’t matter as long as it’s grounded. Doesn’t have to specifically be hooked to the factory ground wire for the factory parking lamp/turn signal assembly.

I need some diagnostic help. I am using Nilight TL-08 3-wire turn signals with the adapter pigtails I linked above.

View attachment 425408

View attachment 425412

Factory black with yellow stripe to red on adapter to red on plug (turn signal). Factory grey/tan to blue on adapter to black on plug (running light). Factory black to adapter black is unused. White ground wire on plug is connected to headlight ground.

Driver side works perfectly, passenger side won’t respond at all. Switched parts around to confirm that they are not defective. Are my troubles coming from the fact that I left the factory ground unused?

I have always hooked the factory grounds up no matter what lighting modifications I’ve made. I’ve never had an issue. So I’m not sure if it would matter or not having them unattached. Something in my head tells me the factory forward light harness grounds need to be in place though…

If there are still ground wires coming out of the factory light harness I would hook them up. Just to see what happens…

I apologize if you have already done that and I am missing something in your description…

I make my own harnesses to tie the 3-wire LEDs to the factory forward light harness/Jeep. So I am not readily familiar with the wire colors/functions of your aftermarket adapters…

View attachment 425408

View attachment 425412

Upon rereading your wiring description you seem to have the functionality wired backwards…

Black wire w/yellow tracer on each side is for low brightness/running lights..

Grey/Tan wires are for high brightness/turn signal use…

Upon rereading your wiring description you seem to have the functionality wired backwards…

Black wire w/yellow tracer on each side is for low brightness/running lights..

Grey/Tan wires are for high brightness/turn signal use…

I was going to mention that, except he said one of the sides works perfectly which then threw me off.

Do you still have no side markers?
No side marker, only 3-wire front turn signal/running lights.
It’s wired correctly, I just typed it out wrong.

In the first pic, if I touch the black wire of the adapter (ground) to the ground screw, the passenger side blinker works, but not the running light.

87DCB2EF-27FD-4C4E-9484-677F629C0927.jpeg

In the second pic, I don’t know what the stray gray and black wire coming out of the harness are. I think I clipped them a long time ago doing a headlight repair but can’t remember.

The wiring should be red to red for turn signal and blue to black for running light. White is ground.

Nothing changes when I touch either the adapter black wire or black wire coming from the harness to ground - the passenger running light just won’t work.

What am I missing?

8566A20E-AE7E-43C7-AA46-AC47570856A8.jpeg