What would you do?

robalex32

Hello to every Jeep Wrangler tj guru!!
I started checking this site like 2 years ago, on different tips on what to do on a '98 4 cylinder manual transmission ,after a friend of mine, asked me if I can keep his wrangler on my driveway for 2 weeks, while he can clean his garage.At that time ,I had it sitting in my driveway for a year already.My sons were 14 and 12 at the time, and after 3 years with it on my driveway, and seeing it everyday, Is like I want to fix it for my kids.
Now I have the opportunity to buy it for $1200.And I can guess that the main problem was that he installed a lift kit, and 35"s ,and the jeep wasn't performing as expected.It was running when was parked 3 years ago, now I need to invest a little to make it run(battery , fluids, flushing fuel system).
So I'm asking what would you do if I started it and is mechanically sound?I'm a chevy guy, so I don't have all the little mods and tricks planed to do since I was a kid, I'm guessing you were ,give me a direction to go ,please!

IMG_3565.JPG

IMG_3567.JPG

IMG_3569.JPG

For $1200 it's worth it in parts alone. How does the frame and underside look? Lots of rust I assume (for that price I mean)?

The hard top alone sells for $1200 lol! Buy it!!! :cool: Or make a raffle for us here to see who gets first dibs. 🙂

Reactions: JMT
Ok,Ok.
I'll get it.
the actual question was, what mods or tricks should I do to it, how custom or original should I keep it?
What gear ratio should I get for the 35"s ?

OK... Buy it.... (or buy it & ship it to me + $500... lol)

Just like any Vehicle... mods / tricks are personal & based on your taste & use... (especially Jeeps)... Is it going to be a everyday driver... a trail machine, on beach sand... etc... etc... You really need to decide how you are going to use it... Then you can determine what to do with it... (or ship it to me... : ) )

As far Gear Ratio...
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...angler-tj-lj-and-other-re-gearing-faqs.17063/

First and foremost, make sure the frame is solid as Chris pointed out. Sitting for 3 years...not sure how much fuel was in the tank, but you may need to drain some out and get fresh stuff in there. Likely the poor performance with 35’s and a 4 cylinder has to do with gearing. Maybe trade out the 35’s for some 30’s if it’s for your son’s. If your building an off road vehicle for yourself...read on, the sky is the limit with this forum.

Reactions: Ericict
Hand him the money fast.

I wouldn’t even crank it with old fuel in it .

Look for a 97-04 6cylinder model to trade it for . Possibly even buy one, swap over the good parts and sell it .

Reactions: MaloStapalo
I would spend some time reading on here and other forums, after you buy it. I am not sure of your spending money, it can get expensive real fast so go slow and listen to what others have to say, process it and then decide what you want to do.

You need to figure out what direction you want to go with the jeep, if mostly street with the top off, you don't need to spend a lot of money on big lifts and oversize tires. If you are planning on heading up to the mountains, that would be a different set of needs. Having a project for you and your kids is great, just try to have fun and not get frustrated.

Reactions: Ericict and AndyG
That is a great price on the face of it. Is it currently registered and tags up to date.
It needs a front sway bar especially because of a younger driver.
Tire aged out...

Ok,Ok.
I'll get it.
the actual question was, what mods or tricks should I do to it, how custom or original should I keep it?
What gear ratio should I get for the 35"s ?
With the 4 cylinder you’re going to need to gear deep for 35’s. You might reconsider all that, not sure how open you are to that, but I wouldn’t go over 33’s with a 4 cylinder.

What kind of mods you want to do will depend on where you want to wheel it. What are your plans? Is this a DD for your kids? Is it a weekend warrior? What kind of terrain? Sand? Mud? Rocks? Et. Al.

As others have stated, I would read here and get some ideas, and get it running to start with. Drive it around and see what you like and don't like, and figure out how you are going to use it. If the kids are just going to drive it to school, that will be a different build then if it becomes your off-road fishing/camping rig.

If it were me, I would do just what it takes to get it running, then drive it, and see how it gets used.

After you get it running.

A cheap budget build that will go almost anywhere:

2.5” OME
2” Tuck
SYE/DC
Rear CA’s
32 x 11.5

If you want

Regear
Lock