What's everyone's gas mileage?

Interesting, would of never thought of that. Does it need to be replaced or adjusted?
Other than bending the wire that supports the senders's float there's no adjustment on the fuel gauge sender. It is tack-welded onto the fuel pump assembly's housing so if you care that much about an accurate fuel gauge (I don't, I rely on my odometer), you'll have to replace the assembly.

Reactions: Jack Brown
So Mfg States 15-18 MPG on a I6. Tank Capacity is 19 gallons. That's an average of 304 miles on a full tank. The most I am getting on a full tank is just over 200 miles. What is everyone else getting?

I just purchased a used '06 TJ and have consistently been getting 16.5 to 17.5 mpg.
- It's nearly all freeway commuting with mostly light traffic.
- I keep it 60 to 65 mph.
- Regular gas (87 octane)

The vehicle:
- 2006 Rubicon, 4.0L, i6
- Stick shift
- Hard top (for winter months)
- Vehicle has 94,000 miles
- Tires and wheels are stock (30" tires)

Driving has been in winter so far (30 to 50 deg).

For what it's worth.

Hand Calculated:
I have 18 mpg on highways at 65 - 75 mph Chicago to TX Panhandle.
4.0L Sport
Stick Shift
Soft Top
162k miles
31" KO2 Tires
*** I maintain the engine like it's my wife, the one and only :) (I listen to every little things she says)

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I've gone 200mi on 3/4 of a tank before - 06 I6 Rubicon with stock tires. That's highway with cruise control. Most recently went 104.1 miles on 5.5gal.

Funny mine only gets bad and worse no matter how or where I drive it ;)

2000 4.0l automatic
4 inch lift
33 inch tires

Reactions: JMT
Gas mileage ? What about gas prices !?
It’s almost $5 the gallon here in LA
I wonder what grade Octane you guys run
I personally only put 91 octane since it’s the highest number out here

Used to get 13.5 with 31’s and 3.73 gears. Now I get 12 with 33’s and same gears. I use 87 octane. Our TJ’s don’t need anything special octane wise

I have a 06 4.0
3.7.3 Gears, 6 Speed, 33" BF Goodrich KO2's, 3" of lift, 19 Gallon tank, low gas light comes on at about 16 gallons, fill up around there.
I average 16.5 MPG mixed between city and high way driving. I usually get about 235-250 miles before the low gas light comes on before.
I drive my Tj like a bat out of hell most days

Reactions: KCsTJ and JMT
$2.45 here in Hill Country, TX

14mpg - Last tank, gas light came on at 225 miles, and filled up at about 250 miles. 19 gallon tank, only took 17.4 gallons. So when the gas light came on I had almost 3 gallons left in the tank. I figure on good right foot behavior and a fair amount of highway, was the mix for that tank. The fuel tank level needle responds like everyone says, inaccurately. But now I know I have 25 to 40 miles left when the gas light comes on.

Reactions: Hale
Gas mileage ? What about gas prices !?
It’s almost $5 the gallon here in LA
I wonder what grade Octane you guys run
If you're using the 'highest octane out there' you're paying more for gas for no reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT

You're throwing your money away.

From pages 229 and 230 of the '06 manual:

Your engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide excellent fuel economy and performance when using high quality unleaded gasoline having an octane rating of 87. The use of premium gasoline is not recommended. The use of premium gasoline will provide no benefit over high quality regular gasoline, and in some circumstances may result in poorer performance.

Reactions: Rubicon and JMT