What's the difference between a GMRS and BaoFeng two-way radio?

I got one of those Baofeng units to get things ready for gong camping and light offroading(is there such a thing?) and waiting to get some free time after the plant closes, just to get the licenses done just to be safe. Got antenna wiring done and bases set. I do have the midland 75-822 that I planned for the jeep only originally. The baofeng is so far a great unit and super easy to program.

I keep a card of midland vs baofeng vs standard DCS/CTwhatever privacy codes in my glovebox, as well as GMRS frequencies. I’m thinking of finding someone to laminate a card and keep a few copies.
My hard mount radio is Midland, handheld is a Midland GMRS/FRS, but I also carry baofengs for backup or loaner units. (And if I need to run VHF) It’s a lot to keep track of across brands, and lots of people I’ve wheeled with show up with an unprogrammed baofeng and have no clue how to get to “GMRS 18” or whatever the club is running on. Unfortunately most people don’t over-research and prepare like we do haha
Laminating kit

I like how you have the mic connected, I will probably do something similar. My set up is similar to yours, 50 watt Icom 2730. Right now I just run the mic off the base unit from under the seat, keeps it out of the way. I have the midland in the Tacoma for ease of use, and a few baofengs for hiking around or for a spotter to use.
View attachment 240678
Head unit? Looks like it fits as stock??

I keep a card of midland vs baofeng vs standard DCS/CTwhatever privacy codes in my glovebox, as well as GMRS frequencies. I’m thinking of finding someone to laminate a card and keep a few copies.
My hard mount radio is Midland, handheld is a Midland GMRS/FRS, but I also carry baofengs for backup or loaner units. (And if I need to run VHF) It’s a lot to keep track of across brands, and lots of people I’ve wheeled with show up with an unprogrammed baofeng and have no clue how to get to “GMRS 18” or whatever the club is running on. Unfortunately most people don’t over-research and prepare like we do haha
I have a laminating machine at work, how big is your card ?

Reactions: Ephry73
I was intrigued to learn a bit more about Baofeng radios and what would be a good fit to choose. However, I just got totally confused with all the information that just got put out here. I would ask, do I need a GMRS? Do all have the UHF and VHF modes, but also what would they be used for? Is that why they call it dual band then? I am just asking since, I really don't know. Any kind of comments, please for the love of God, respond in an orderly manner and not jump around or drift off course. It just leads to confusion. Thank you.

Baofeng radios cover a wide range of UHF and VHF channels... they're essentially considered short wave radios or a ham radio. Technically you need a ham radio operator license from the FCC. This is a test you must pass.

Family channel is a subset of those frequencies set aside by the FCC. Technically you need a family channel or GMRS radio license from the FCC...no test, just a fee.

I have Midland GMRS radios installed in my TJ and my wife's JK. I have two handheld Baofengs programmed with just GMRS channels for either guest use or when we're doing recoveries or search and rescue. Basically let's us fan out and stay in communication.

-Mac

I was intrigued to learn a bit more about Baofeng radios and what would be a good fit to choose. However, I just got totally confused with all the information that just got put out here. I would ask, do I need a GMRS? Do all have the UHF and VHF modes, but also what would they be used for? Is that why they call it dual band then? I am just asking since, I really don't know. Any kind of comments, please for the love of God, respond in an orderly manner and not jump around or drift off course. It just leads to confusion. Thank you.

Long story short: The Baofeng will do both ham and GMRS because the Chinese don't care about FCC laws. It doesn't do the GMRS 'legally', but this is not enforced. It's not like there some nerd working for the 'FCC Police' is going to pull you over or anything. So you can buy a separate ham and GMRS if you want. I am apparently a scofflaw and want one radio that will do both. There's already enough electrical items in my Jeep. I'd prefer to not have two radios when one can handle it.

I'm about to buy a new radio. Probably going to get the Retevis RT95 because it's small and not very expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075M9QV8P/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Though I do appreciate the Midland MXT275 because it's even smaller, though GMRS only, won't do ham.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FN2FBML/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Reactions: Zorba and DavidBT
I am apparently a scofflaw and want one radio that will do both. There's already enough electrical items in my Jeep. I'd prefer to not have two radios when one can handle it.

I looked this up due solely to your correct usage of the 50¢ vocabulary word 😉

Anysecu WP-9900 Mini Mobile Radio 25W 200 Channels UHF VHF Dual Band Car Radio with Programming Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09D2QQDZT/?tag=wranglerorg-20

This is the "GMRS" radio in my wife's van for the same reasons you listed above. Not available on Amazon anymore, but I'm sure it can still be found. I think I paid less than $100 for it. Not only will it do ham & GMRS, but it's the same kind of form factor as the MTX275 with display and controls all in the mic which also suits our jeeps well.

Long story short: The Baofeng will do both ham and GMRS because the Chinese don't care about FCC laws. It doesn't do the GMRS 'legally', but this is not enforced. It's not like there some nerd working for the 'FCC Police' is going to pull you over or anything. So you can buy a separate ham and GMRS if you want. I am apparently a scofflaw and want one radio that will do both. There's already enough electrical items in my Jeep. I'd prefer to not have two radios when one can handle it.

I'm about to buy a new radio. Probably going to get the Retevis RT95 because it's small and not very expensive.

Though I do appreciate the Midland MXT275 because it's even smaller, though GMRS only, won't do ham.

I have the RT95. It has more menus than I'd like, but it performs pretty well. FWIW, I also have a separate Midland GMRS.

Reactions: suicideking

Another question is, do I have to worry about locked Baofeng radios, let's say UV-5R? Whenever trying to look up some information about these radios, they talk about whether you need to unlock them. I think what I want is the ability to talk on as many channels as I want, but I also have it for hunting, camping, and such.

Another question is, do I have to worry about locked Baofeng radios, let's say UV-5R? Whenever trying to look up some information about these radios, they talk about whether you need to unlock them. I think what I want is the ability to talk on as many channels as I want, but I also have it for hunting, camping, and such.

People like the UV-5R because it's cheap, small, and everything is unlocked. Mine was just around $20 on Amazon. They aren't considered the best quality, but they work just fine for most.

They also have an upgraded version, the BF-F8HP. It does 8W and has a larger battery. Though not as much of an impulse buy because it's more expensive.

Baofeng seems to be hit and miss these days with whether their radios are locked or unlocked. They seem to play cat-and-mouse with the FCC...

People like the UV-5R because it's cheap, small, and everything is unlocked. Mine was just around $20 on Amazon. They aren't considered the best quality, but they work just fine for most.

They also have an upgraded version, the BF-F8HP. It does 8W and has a larger battery. Though not as much of an impulse buy because it's more expensive.

I have both. The 8w version is not worth the $ IMHO.

Baofeng seems to be hit and miss these days with whether their radios are locked or unlocked. They seem to play cat-and-mouse with the FCC...
This, but our friend Google has the unlock instructions and its a simple process. At least it was for the last UV5R I unlocked.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
I looked this up due solely to your correct usage of the 50¢ vocabulary word 😉

Anysecu WP-9900 Mini Mobile Radio 25W 200 Channels UHF VHF Dual Band Car Radio with Programming Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09D2QQDZT/?tag=wranglerorg-20

This is the "GMRS" radio in my wife's van for the same reasons you listed above. Not available on Amazon anymore, but I'm sure it can still be found. I think I paid less than $100 for it. Not only will it do ham & GMRS, but it's the same kind of form factor as the MTX275 with display and controls all in the mic which also suits our jeeps well.

Almost bought this one, they still have it on Amazon. Figured I tend to drop the mic often and it gets abuse. So I would probably break that screen. Ended up getting the AnyTone AT-778UV.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck

If you are interested in GMRS I highly recommend watching this guys videos.
TheNotaRubicon
Some don't like his style but he does have a lot of good information.