Whats this metal from my differential?

Maybe. It looks like a side gear shim. There is a style of shim that uses two thicker pieces on the outside with thinner shims sandwiched between. What can happen is the thicker part can spin against the bearing race which will tear up the thinner parts inside. Some of the shims are as thin as .003 so it is easy to distort them. The spinning of the shim comes from either too loose on side bearing pre-load or wear causing the pre-load to loosen up.

Sometimes I feel like I've gotten myself too deep. I frequently battle anxiety and lately Rubi has been the main cause.

So in your not guaranteed, limited knowledge of this specific instance, sight unseen opinion is this something that can turn catastrophic and is a high priority, or is something I can make it till regear on? Offroad season is done here so it would be all street driving and I dont hot rod the jeep.

Reactions: jjvw
.... You're thinking not to lose sleep over it?

...maybe...

... is this something that can turn catastrophic and is a high priority, or is something I can make it till regear on? Offroad season is done here so it would be all street driving and I dont hot rod the jeep.

These seem like the right questions to be thinking of...

Reactions: MaloStapalo
Definitely looks like a side shim like Rob suggested. That slim shiny piece between the outer shim and other.

20160805_145129.jpg

Sometimes I feel like I've gotten myself too deep. I frequently battle anxiety and lately Rubi has been the main cause.

So in your not guaranteed, limited knowledge of this specific instance, sight unseen opinion is this something that can turn catastrophic and is a high priority, or is something I can make it till regear on? Offroad season is done here so it would be all street driving and I don't hot rod the jeep.

I likely have a different mindset than most being that I worked in a differential shop and can perform my own work. So in turn I would not recommend driving it until it was inspected. But you have to do whatever you are comfortable with.

I likely have a different mindset than most being that I worked in a differential shop and can perform my own work. So in turn I would not recommend driving it until it was inspected. But you have to do whatever you are comfortable with.
That is the best advice.

Definitely looks like a side shim like Rob suggested. That slim shiny piece between the outer shim and other.

View attachment 63684
It does look about that width. Do you know any shops towards my way that are comfortable with the oem rubicon locker?

Going off of it being that shim, what is now happening to the carrier when it is put into motion?

20181116_111926.jpg

Assuming thats what it is (shims come in various sizes), your backlash may be off now. What will happen? Hard to say. With my limited knowledge, I think you will hear a new noise upon acceleration or deceleration. That could start leading to chipped or broken teeth on the pinion gear or ring gear. Or both.

I dont know of anyone up in that direction unfortunately.

Without taking anything you say as an endorsement to drive anything unsafe, are we talking tow it somewhere to have it looked at, or I can drive it somewhere? I have no knowledge on the severity of something like a side gear shim missing. My guy I texted said he uses someone in Lakewood which is a few hours from me. I'm limited to my shops around here unfortunately.

Assuming thats what it is (shims come in various sizes), your backlash may be off now. What will happen? Hard to say. With my limited knowledge, I think you will hear a new noise upon acceleration or deceleration. That could start leading to chipped or broken teeth on the pinion gear or ring gear. Or both.

I dont know of anyone up in that direction unfortunately.
On the time frame to chipping teeth are we talking low miles, or hundreds or over thousands of miles?

On the time frame to chipping teeth are we talking low miles, or hundreds or over thousands of miles?

I havent the slightest clue.

If this was mine I would bring it in asap. I drove maybe a hundred miles or so on chipped helical gears (what I think they were) when my rubi locker took a shit.

Totally random side note that has nothing to do with gears--I think we have the same wedding band.

We should narrow down some of the guesses as to where this chunk comes from.

Confirm the ratio. Pull the cover and see what the bearing shims look like. The Rubicon shims are outside the bearings, as shown in tworley's pic above. I recall my front and rear factory shims were noticably thick, ~1/32-1/16" and were a single ring, rather than the stack we installed after the regear.

If that is the only shim that came out, it is likely only .003-.005 off in backlash and pre-load. Personally, I would drive it, gently, a short distance to a shop. I would not have it towed if it were mine.

We should narrow down some of the guesses as to where this chunk comes from.

Confirm the ratio. Pull the cover and see what the bearing shims look like. The Rubicon shims are outside the bearings, as shown in tworley's pic above. I recall my front and rear factory shims were noticably thick, ~1/32-1/16" and were a single ring, rather than the stack we installed after the regear.

This is probably the best approach and first step. Malo--can you tear into again to double check?

The shim in my picture came from an ARB install, the OE rubi locker doesnt have any that thin IIRC.

jjvw and I have a guy down here in SE Denver that is taking a look at the thread. He has helped me with regearing and knows his stuff. Has also done I think 12 or 13 ARB installs now.

This is probably the best approach and first step. Malo--can you tear into again to double check?

The shim in my picture came from an ARB install, the OE rubi locker doesnt have any that thin IIRC.

jjvw and I have a guy down here in SE Denver that is taking a look at the thread. He has helped me with regearing and knows his stuff. Has also done I think 12 or 13 ARB installs now.

I can do whatever you need me to. It is getting cold and dark so I'm done for the day but I can pull the diff cover off in the morning before work at 3.

I will pull the cover in the morning and get some pictures. @jjvw

I still have the metal pieces also. I really appreciate all the help.
20181116_111926.jpg

Last edited:
If that is the only shim that came out, it is likely only .003-.005 off in backlash and pre-load. Personally, I would drive it, gently, a short distance to a shop. I would not have it towed if it were mine.
Thank you. I am.in the process of trying to find someone to look at it. Most of my options are in Denver and that's about 100 miles away.

I havent the slightest clue.

If this was mine I would bring it in asap. I drove maybe a hundred miles or so on chipped helical gears (what I think they were) when my rubi locker took a shit

Totally random side note that has nothing to do with gears--I think we have the same wedding band.

Did you get yours from etsy? Its tungsten carbide and doesn't scratch very easy. Cheap enough I can easily replace it.

I can do whatever you need me to. It is getting cold and dark so I'm done for the day but I can pull the diff cover off in the morning before work.

So pull the cover in the morning?

I still have the metal pieces also. I really appreciate all the help.

Id confirm your gear ratio. Also check the shims like jjvw suggests. This is the best picture I have of stock shims that are noticeably thicker.

Our buddy took a look and guessed that maybe you do have a thin shim from factory (hes seen them before) and that it was nicked just enough when you put your new shafts in that it caused it to catch on something and finally tore apart

IMG952016080595110252942.jpg

Did you get yours from etsy? Its tungsten carbide and doesn't scratch very easy. Cheap enough I can easily replace it.
My wife picked it up at the Southwest Mall here in Littleton. Tungston in what I would call a brushed silver outside, inside is gold colored.