Whatta y'all do for a living?

Spent 17 years as a Navy helicopter crew chief/rescue swimmer, got hurt, got out. Now I fly a TV news helicopter. Trust an ex-enlisted guy to find the easiest flying gig out there.
DSCF2768.JPG

Spent 17 years as a Navy helicopter crew chief/rescue swimmer, got hurt, got out. Now I fly a TV news helicopter. Trust an ex-enlisted guy to find the easiest flying gig out there.
View attachment 41194
Nice gig....I've always liked Helicopters. Right out of high school worked for a guy that owned his own helicopter and had a contract with the US Forest Service to fly Helitack. Flew firefights in by helicopter to fight fires. I drove his service truck. I felt funny rushing to a fire with aviation fuel. We were stationed out in the National Forest. He had one of the old Bell helicopters. When we weren't on call for fires and had a day or two off, we would use it to fly into some remote area to go fishing. Also when deer season started, we hunted some rough areas. He would fly in and pack us and our bucks out. We would lay the bucks in the stocks that were mounted on the skids. Fun times!
Really really liked the helicopter when they saved our butts one day in Vietnam.

I work at a once top secret, former plutonium production area. Currently the most radioactive contaminated place in the US.
Stupid pays well.
Based on your location, I think it's safe to assume that it's the same place that my Dad worked at for a number of years after retiring from the Navy. I never knew exactly what he did, and likely never will, as he passed in 2012.

Beginning mid/early 80's installed all types of voice & data systems, banking industry better part of the eighties (BofA, First Interstate, Gibraltar) wired up network control centers, ATM's throughout central & norCal. Got burned out from traveling and switched companies - Lot of entertainment customers & Gov projects, absolutely loved my job (Discovered I enjoyed software/hardware & hacking) ...moved back to banks (Nations Bank, before they purchased BofA). We were funded/owned by some other company that closed us abruptly one morning. Everyone just scaterd like cockroaches. I kept customer database copies, along with some supplies, used them to start my own business. Kept it simple...

Technically am retired, lately though I've been taking on some little projects that fit MY schedule. Enjoy traveling again too...haha! (Full circle). Sorry it's poorly written, started drinking early...

Last edited:
Reactions: ac_
Technically am retired, lately though I've been taking on some little projects that fit MY schedule. Enjoy traveling again too...haha! (Full circle). Sorry it's poorly written, started drinking early...

American Dream!!

I am a financial planning associate and I am going to school / studying to get my CFP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Town Planner for just under 40 years. Worked for a large municipality, a law firm, consulting firm and finally for a major land development company for over half of that time. Now happily retired.

I work for a OEM company that builds industrial mixing equipment for the food, pharmaceutical, adhesive, aerospace, etc etc etc industries.
Been there 24 years, started as a shop helper/ painter and worked my way up to shop supervisor.
I just transferred to FL from NY ( same company)
And now I’m back to being a mechanic. It stinks not being a boss but at least I have a FL job with NY pay.

I work for a OEM company that builds industrial mixing equipment for the food, pharmaceutical, adhesive, aerospace, etc etc etc industries.
Been there 24 years, started as a shop helper/ painter and worked my way up to shop supervisor.
I just transferred to FL from NY ( same company)
And now I’m back to being a mechanic. It stinks not being a boss but at least I have a FL job with NY pay.
Getting out of NY is always a good thing! what part of NY were you from?

Reactions: skrelnik
Based on your location, I think it's safe to assume that it's the same place that my Dad worked at for a number of years after retiring from the Navy. I never knew exactly what he did, and likely never will, as he passed in 2012.
I bet you are right. My Dad worked at the Bikini Atoll tests, Los Alamos, Nevada test site, and we ended up here. He doesn't talk about it.
We are cleaning up the mess left behind.