Wheel and Tire Picture Request

TJ's-TJ

TJ Enthusiast
Probably a long shot, but we are getting really close to buying tires and wheels. I am looking for a picture that shows how much tire will stick out past either your std flares or rubicon/sahara flares for the following combinations:

16x8 wheel, 4.5" backspace with 285 75 16 or 305 70 16 tire sizes.

I know 15" is the preferred for the load rating/ride, but don't want to have to live with the 3.75" backspace, trying to get the widest tire we can without too much stickout...

If you have something close and a good end view that shows how much tire is sticking out past the flare, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

This should actually get you pretty close. 305 70 16s mounted on the factory wheels, which are 5.5" backspace, however, they were mounted with 1" spacers. Rubicon flares. They hang out there a bit. Looked pretty cool, but those things were heavy.

KIMG0282.jpg

Thanks. Thats perfect.

Only thing that I question is the factory BS that you list of 5.5" . My google searches show conflicting info for the factory 16" TJ Moabs. I have seen it listed as 5"... Are you positive on 5.5"?

Also, with that combo, how close were you to rubbing on the control arms at full lock? did you have to adjust out your stops? I would think not with the spacers?

Here is my other data point:

Chris, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this to be factory moab's with no spacers, just touching on the control arms at full lock with 285 75 16 duratracs:
1547209648039.png

Thanks. Thats perfect.

Only thing that I question is the factory BS that you list of 5.5" . My google searches show conflicting info for the factory 16" TJ Moabs. I have seen it listed as 5"... Are you positive on 5.5"?

Also, with that combo, how close were you to rubbing on the control arms at full lock? did you have to adjust out your stops? I would think not with the spacers?

Honestly, I couldn't recall myself, so I did a quick search as I replied to your first note and found a couple of references to ET 25. Based on that, and this little chart I dug up someplace, I got 5.5" and that sounded right to me.

Capture.JPG

At this point, we're talking about 1/2" so either way, what you see in that pic isn't going to change significantly. The Jeep was on aftermarket control arms at that point (Skyjacker) and they did not rub. After changing tires to 255/85 16s, and removing the spacers, they did rub a bit, but I didn't adjust the steering stops. Sometimes, on trail, I want as much turn as I can get, so I just let them rub - it's not a huge a deal to me. When it comes to parallel parking or making the occasional tight turn, I just back off the wheel a bit.