Where and why did the LCOG with no up-travel fad get started?

Where is the center of gravity and how do we know when it is low enough to solve the problem of a high center of gravity?

I think the term is mostly a catch phrase. And one that very few even know how to meaningfully apply the concept to a build.

To paraphrase another here, LCoG means fitting the largest tire with the most frame height that results in the most evenly divided shock travel. Any more height is arguably getting excessive. Meaning the overall build isn't any bigger than what is needed to get the most out of it.
not a catch phrase, it is an engineered goal. Heres low enough..
Super 7.jpg

There's a way to calculate a vehicles CoG. At least close enough for the girls we run with.

Front to rear location:
(Rear wheel weight / vehicle weight) x wheelbase = CG distance from center line of front axle

Side to side location:
(Right side weight / vehicle weight) x wheel base = distance from vehicle center line.

Height location:
(Wheelbase x raised wheelbase x additional weight on front wheels) / (distance rear was raised x vehicle weight) = CG height above axle center line

The issue is getting accurate enough measurements.

I have never thought about specifics of what makes a LCOG build. Is there a certain belly height? I dunno. I always thought of it as say, a 40” tire rig with a belly height if 20-24”. I can see that may not be the real requirements. I guess in reality we all strive for somewhat of a LCOG rig, somewhat then. Keeping lifts as low as possible, while maintaining reasonable travel with a reasonable split ratio of up/down. With out any real guidelines a LCOG could mean many different things.

Reactions: reddvltj
Most people don’t have the resources to create an effective LCOG build.. when able to integrate it properly into the design I would say it’s more of an “aspect” of the build more than a overall title. There are very tricky negatives to overcome that make it usually not worth while for what they are doing with the vehicle.

I seriously don't understand the low lift, large tire, no up-travel thing that seems to be sweeping the FB pages. All they want to talk about is how droop is the most important thing and how unstable TJs are in off camber situations. Where did this idea come from and why is it so popular?
We've had a few of the LCG folks show up to wheel in JV. The ones that came back the next year were not as low as they were the year before, by a fair bit. I believe it initially started because folks are just plain scared to lean their rigs over. We've all had the newbie in the passenger seat that grabs the oh shit handle at tilt angles that don't even register as being leaned over to us. Some folks never get over it so they mistakenly believe that there is an inherent stability to being lower. What they miss is all the compromises they made to keep it lower don't really keep it lower when going over obstacles. If you have 2" of up, the chassis starts moving higher when the tire moves up enough to bottom out the shock. If you have 6" of up, the chassis won't start moving up until the tire moves far enough to bottom out the shock and while the rig with 6 may start with the chassis a bit higher, they are both around the same height going over the same rock.

In my world, no LCG rig lower than mine will go where I go easier on the same tire size.

Stovepipe hats were all the rage once too. So was painting a wall in every room in the house bright red. "Feature Wall". All those stupid magazines and TV shows have to create some reason for you to need them. Or else JpMag would have only 2 issues a year. Keeps the SEMA crowd in business too. I watched a show on HGTV that said I should completely redo my bathroom every 5 years. Hell, I don't get a new bath towel every 5 years! But they have to sell advertising and a lot of people are stupid. My father's house was built in the early '50s. Toilet hasn't worn out yet. If they don't have new gee-gaws out every year then who needs to get a new credit card? The whole world would stop turning if you only build your rig the best way for you. What would the neighbors think!

Reactions: Brian83
Just changed to 7.50R16s last week. 32" tall on 6.5" x 16" rims.
The ride is the best I've ever had in a Wrangler.
Directional stability on gravel is way better too.

Will be changing to 2" flares soon, my TJR is now skinnier than an SE.
View attachment 108891
Definitely doing the diy highline mod on my tj, hopefully I can do such a good job molding the front of the fenders to the grill as you did. UT I'll be adding flat fenders at the end. Pretty much the same as this guy

Let me toss a grenade into this dinosaur of a thread.

Has a few years of evolution changed any perspectives?

6" lift + 2" body lift on a mostly stock TJ looks a lot like a VHS tape in 2023.

Personally running a 2005 LJ "Dinosaur" with maybe 2" of lift and 35"s will probably run 37"s next. Not many stock parts under the jeep...does very well offroad and on.

New JL with factory high fenders, limited lift, and 37"s is the latest and greatest jeep evolution not a fad.

6" lift + 2" body lift on a mostly stock TJ looks a lot like a VHS tape in 2023.

Personally running a 2005 LJ "Dinosaur" with maybe 2" of lift and 35"s will probably run 37"s next. Not many stock parts under the jeep...does very well offroad and on.

New JL with factory high fenders, limited lift, and 37"s is the latest and greatest jeep evolution not a fad.

A 6" spring lift with a 2" body lift has never been thought of as a wise build plan for a TJ or LJ. So, your premise as to what we were talking about 2.5 years ago is immediately flawed.

Reactions: Gollywomper

On average, to run a 35” tire is a 4” lift.
Do you really feel all the extra work and compromises to fit 35s on a 2” lift is really worth saving 2” of height? Are you sure that 2” change in COG really matters?

Build it however you want. It is yours and you should enjoy your rig however you choose. No need to justify it. You just won’t convince many that is the best way to go for a multi purpose rig.

Last edited: