Votes: 3 8.6%
  • ECGS 489 30-spline Dana 44

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • ECGS 31-spline 8.8

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else?!

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters
You made me look. Thanks. Pirate 4x4 was in last place of my group of fav forums (still following motorcycle stuff). I started reading there just before the forum was sold. Admittedly, I hung out in the basement just to laugh at the posts that are like some we have seen in this thread. It got deathly quiet over there after Irate 4x4 was started, so I started reading Irate. Lately, I haven't looked much at either one. Tonight's evaluation finds that it seems like the big kids have taken over Irate with their snarky talk. Then I looked at Pirate and found this post"

"Not everybody, don't say everybody. Only the losers moved over there. If they have a problem with me saying that, they can come back and tell me :p"

Oh hell, he might mean me! I need to straighten my act out. :) Thanks goodness my login still works. Moves me out of the loser category. Anyway, I checked memberships. Pirate shows ~38,000. Irate shows ~3600. You win (this time).
Check the spelling in the post I replied "NO" to. There is no irrate4x4. There is however a nice place called irate4x4.

• Haha
Reactions: andy29847
VS bought Pirate, irate is a privately owned spin-off since VS fucked up Pirate so badly. Almost exactly why this place exists.

Yes, that's absolutely correct. Vertical Scope and Internet Brands collectively bought up almost every major forum on the internet. Many of those used to be really good forums that I was a part of too.

Probably explains why I get offers from them a few times per year.

Could you point me to some? I'm considering buying the 489 and I haven't seen much negative feedback. I would like to read other perspectives and opinions.

AFAIK the ECGS 489 is a JK Dana44 center with the larger ring gear, and the rest is theirs. Here's the page for their 30spline version. They also make a 35 spline version, but only offer OX lockers with that package.
hell, that was almost 3yrs ago now. i cannot point you to any specifics but i remember stuff like no gear lube and calipers on backwards.........most of it seemed like it was just lack of QC rather than mechanical issues. but being they are pretty cheap compared to others, so a few minor finishing details if needed, might not be a big bother.

hell, that was almost 3yrs ago now. i cannot point you to any specifics but i remember stuff like no gear lube and calipers on backwards.........most of it seemed like it was just lack of QC rather than mechanical issues. but being they are pretty cheap compared to others, so a few minor finishing details if needed, might not be a big bother.

Ok well thanks for the heads up anyway, I'll dig a little more.

Is there a downside to the Currie60 vs a Dana44? I was originally thinking I didn't want to get into the 60's because I wanted to keep my Jeep pretty light and nimble and I would most likely never use it anywhere close to its breaking point... but does the 60 really have any negative effects on the Jeep's handling/road manners, etc? The price difference between the Currie60 and the ECGS 489 is kind of negligible so I'm debating now whether to just go with the Currie.

There's too many Currie fans, though. I want someone to tell me why NOT to get a Currie. There must be some downsides to running tons.

Wow! HO72! I haven't heard that one mentioned in ages. I had a 67 Chevy C20 truck with an HO72 years back. Not sure it would be my choice in a Jeep, but cool that you mentioned it. Sorry for getting off topic. I'll shut up now.
I grew up with a '63 GMC 1 ton with an H072/5.14. It was really cool, and it made interesting noises from new.

Is there a downside to the Currie60 vs a Dana44? I was originally thinking I didn't want to get into the 60's because I wanted to keep my Jeep pretty light and nimble and I would most likely never use it anywhere close to its breaking point... but does the 60 really have any negative effects on the Jeep's handling/road manners, etc? The price difference between the Currie60 and the ECGS 489 is kind of negligible so I'm debating now whether to just go with the Currie.

There's too many Currie fans, though. I want someone to tell me why NOT to get a Currie. There must be some downsides to running tons.
Other than the cost I can’t think of another downside. I want a strong bolt in stock width axle with my current bolt pattern. Fits all my requirements. The only negative I keep hearing is it’s more strength than I need. Well I installed a Hemi because I like more. More is just fine in my opinion...

Other than the cost I can’t think of another downside. I want a strong bolt in stock width axle with my current bolt pattern. Fits all my requirements. The only negative I keep hearing is it’s more strength than I need. Well I installed a Hemi because I like more. More is just fine in my opinion...

Yeah, if the only negative is that I'll never break it, I'm sold lol.

@MichaelGH It looks like you went with a super 35? If so hows it holding up?

After all my hesitation, and trying to spend a lot more money, I did end up going Super 35.

I have zero issues with the 35. It’s not near as sexy as the other options, but it is getting the job done, without issue thus far…

After all my hesitation, and trying to spend a lot more money, I did end up going Super 35.

I have zero issues with the 35. It’s not near as sexy as the other options, but it is getting the job done, without issue thus far…

We just need (want) a (affordable) rear steer Super 35 kit.

Along with that affordable, durable and as compact and lightweight as our 231/D300 4:1 transfer case with twin sticks.

I can dream!

-Mac

Reactions: Zorba and MichaelGH

Keeping the rig from rusting in that area is pretty sexy :)

Keeping the rig from rusting in that area is pretty sexy :)

I drove to Georgia to get my tub. I drove to Southern Virginia for my hood and windshield frame. I had my frame shipped/picked up at Davey’s Jeeps.

I clearly do not drive on the salted roads with it, lol. Although, I do wish I could justify driving it in the Winter. It’s just too nice to let it succumb to Northern Winter driving. So in the garage it sits…

Reactions: MikeE024

What about the rear ujoint issue? How long is the driveshaft?

What about the rear ujoint issue? How long is the driveshaft?

I am running the white seal Spicer at all three locations for the rear driveshaft. I haven’t had to replace any, at this point. I am only at about 7,000 miles though. 6,900 of those street…

If I remember correctly, it is 17 1/2 inches running length with a JBC SYE. Rear shaft set to 1° down. Runs 80 on the interstate without any vibration…

Alas, I am still going to switch to the super short JBC SYE, in the near future. Just to lengthen the shaft and take some angle out. In the spirit of u-joint lifespan…

Reactions: Rickyd