Which shocks to buy?

Jeff O

I just purchased a 1999 TJ with a 4" lift. The shocks are worn out and leaking. The lift is a procomp lift. I am looking for shocks that will respond well off road and make for a comfortable ride on road. I am a new comer to lifts and modifications of this sort, but am also a 25year ASE master tech so I understand how things work and like technical reasons as to why one is better than another.

Thanks for any advice,

Jeff O

Thinking about getting these myself. I have a 3.25 lift. From Rancho website chat they recommended the 3.5 series.

Looking at the RS5000X series. Jeep TJ 1998 3.25 inch lift. which shock 2.5 or 3.5?

nc_ohc=Gx-HBf9-amMAX8Ac4OT&_nc_ht=scontent.fluk1-1.jpg

Guest 2884 We try to be as responsive as possible, if you need immediate help please call our Tech line at 1-800-325-8886, Monday-Friday 8AM to 5PM EST
3.5"
🙂

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Reactions: Akitadog
Ive done a little research, these rancho's seam to be an entry level shock that does not last long. I am leaning on a procomp Pro-M series or a bilstien based on past experience with customer vehicles. Was surprised by the rancho suggestion since our experience is that they don't last.

Have you removed the shocks and fully flexed/run through travel the suspension to find out what length you need? Anything hitting? Will bumpstops need adjusted with new shocks? You'll probably find that not many shocks will bolt in without modifying something.

Bilstein is regarded as being valved too stiffly. Well tuned foxes as the bees knees

Reactions: The4bangertj
I would go with Fox if it's within your budget. I'm not familiar with Procomp shocks, but have never been happy with anything from Procomp.

Reactions: rasband
Thinking about getting these myself. I have a 3.25 lift. From Rancho website chat they recommended the 3.5 series.

Looking at the RS5000X series. Jeep TJ 1998 3.25 inch lift. which shock 2.5 or 3.5?
2.5, their shocks tend to run longer than the lift guide says they're appropriate for.

I would go with Fox if it's within your budget. I'm not familiar with Procomp shocks, but have never been happy with anything from Procomp.
The standard shock included with ProComp suspension lifts is the hydraulic ES-3000 which is one of the two stiffest riding shocks I have ever experienced. The other is the older hydraulic Rancho RS5000 which is its evil twin where a vehicle with the weight of a TJ is concerned.

Ive done a little research, these rancho's seam to be an entry level shock that does not last long. I am leaning on a procomp Pro-M series or a bilstien based on past experience with customer vehicles. Was surprised by the rancho suggestion since our experience is that they don't last.

Hundreds of people run Rancho 5000X’s on this forum for several years now, and very few negative reviews. Lots of people like BlackMax shocks too. Maybe one person likes Bilstein 5100’s. They ride very stiff. The only thing that rides better than the 5000X and BlackMax is a set of tuned Fox’s. Prepare to outboard and spend $2,000. Worth the money though.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Also run Rancho rs5000x and they are fantastic. The only down side I see is the steel body matched with trashy paint. Paint them yourself and you’ll be fine. Had bilsteins 5100 before and were just way to stiff for a tj, didn’t like them at all. If I had the money I’d do some fox shocks. Want the best, outboard them.

Last edited:
I've been running the RS5000X for a couple of years now, and I have also been surprised at the performance. This is on a TJ with 3" Teraflex springs. They work surprisingly well for the price point in my opinion.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I've been running the RS5000X for a couple of years now, and I have also been surprised at the performance. This is on a TJ with 3" Teraflex springs. They work surprisingly well for the price point in my opinion.

Looks like they're sagging on the driver's side (gangsta lean) from your avatar pic. (y)

Last edited:
When I bought mine it had the Ranchos on it and was too stiff for my liking.
I could not afford Fox, so I went with the ProComp Prorunners on a friends recommendation.
Very happy with the ride.

When I bought mine it had the Ranchos on it and was too stiff for my liking.
I could not afford Fox, so I went with the ProComp Prorunners on a friends recommendation.
Very happy with the ride.
It had the what Ranchos? Only the older hydraulic RS5000 is stiff. The newer gas charged RS5000X is not stiff at all.

It had the what Ranchos? Only the older hydraulic RS5000 is stiff. The newer gas charged RS5000X is not stiff at all.

Well I wasn't on the forum yet and I hated just going over little ssspppeeeeed bumps....
These are supple but dampen any excess axle bounce.
I'm satisfied with these until they wear out, then I'll move on to the next ones. ;)

I'm rocking Bilstein 5100 and loving them.

If you tried some Rancho 5000X’s you’d discover the Bilstein’s are rocking you. Brutal ride comparably, and yes, I’ve run both shocks. Actually run Bilstein 4600’s on stock and 5100’s on small lift.

If you tried some Rancho 5000X’s you’d discover the Bilstein’s are rocking you. Brutal ride comparably, and yes, I’ve run both shocks. Actually run Bilstein 4600’s on stock and 5100’s on small lift.

Only reason I have Bilstein 5100 is because that is what the PO had on it when I bought it. They are definitely the stiffest shock I've driven but seem somewhat broken in. I also have a 2008 Ford Ranger FX4 which came with Rancho 5000s and they finally blew and I replaced my front shocks with Bilstein 4600 and rear shocks with Fox 2.0. When the 5100s are close to done on the TJ, ill switch them out.

Reactions: JMT