Which steering kit should I go with?

See this thread:

What is the best steering for my Jeep Wrangler TJ?

Unless you have some sort of special case (i.e. full width axles) to go with a crossover type steering setup, then the absolute best steering solution out there for the TJ is the Currie Currectlync. It retains the factory Haltenberger style setup, which is what you want. Crossover steering has it's place, but on factory axles, it will usually only do more harm than good.

Check out that thread though, it's very informative!

I absolutely love my Currie Correctlync. It is pricey but I think it is 100% the only steering I would install on my Jeep. There is two things on my Jeep I wont get cheap parts for. Steering and brakes because if one of those goes out.... you're screwed!!

Reactions: Thomas bloomfield
The other nice thing about the Currie Currectlync too, is that it bolts right on, and you don't have to ream the knuckles or anything like that. It's truly a bolt-on affair. And yes, while it is pricey, you get what you pay for, believe me!

The Currie unit is very, very beefy.

Awesome guys. Thank you very much. I’ll go with the Currie. Glad I joined the Forum.

Thanks Chris, I have read over that forum. Just was curious about that Rubicon. Looked decent. Currie is just like another 50 more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Chris
Yep unless you are prepared to get into axle swaps or custom track bar brackets the correclink is about as good as you will find. The teraflex aluminum kit is nice to but big bucks as it involves new knuckles to.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Love my currie, picked mine up for $225 on Craigslist with about 200 miles on it.

Here is a mid shot of the currie and zj steering side by side

IMG-0929-1.JPG

Reactions: RussTJ and Chris
Keep it simple with Currie's bolt-on Currectlync Heavy Duty Steering kit. It doesn't screw up the steering geometry so it doesn't cause bump steer like some kits can. Plus it is pure solid beef. I've had that kit on both of my TJs and would never go with anything else.

will this product fix play In steering? I'm not educated on steering systems

How do you use your LJ?

The ZJ upgrade is a cheaper way to beef things up over stock.

If you are running larger tires and plan to play in the rocks then you might want to consider the Currie.

I was wavering between the ZJ upgrade or the Currie and I went with Currie so I would spend the money once and be done with it and cross steering off the list.

#buyoncecryonce

will this product fix play In steering? I'm not educated on steering systems
There are several things that could be going on causing play in the steering. You want to check everything from tie rods to track bar to steering box to pitman, et. al. If you find play in a component it is contributing to play in the steering.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
There are several things that could be going on causing play in the steering. You want to check everything from tie rods to track bar to steering box to pitman, et. al. If you find play in a component it is contributing to play in the steering.
Exactly, you need to figure out where the play is coming from. The play could be coming from several potential sources. Do a "dry steering test" to determine where the play is coming from. With the tires on the ground, have a helper start the engine and then repeatedly turn the steering wheel back & forth while you look closely at all the moving steering parts to see where the play is coming from.

As listed on Amazon:

Currie Enterprises CE-9701 Heavy Duty Tie Rod System

• Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
  • Fitments for TJ, LJ, XJ, and MJ vehicles
  • This unit is designed to be used on vehicles with 4" of lift. It can be used on vehicles with less lift, but the vehicle must have a minimum of a 2" bump stop (over stock)
  • Features a 1 1/4" diameter forged alloy drag link and 1 1/4" solid alloy steel tie rod bar that is bored and threaded on the ends
  • This unit is rated at 200% stronger than the stock components

I love the Currie setup as much as the next guy but what I absolutely hate is when their rod ends wear out and get play in them, it's another nearly $400 to replace them. I've got my eyes on the RE setup because it looks just as beefy as the Currie but uses Moog rod ends that can be purchased at your advance auto store for $30 lol has anyone used the Rubicon Express y-link setup?

Reactions: OldButStillJeeping
I love the Currie setup as much as the next guy but what I absolutely hate is when their rod ends wear out and get play in them, it's another nearly $400 to replace them. I've got my eyes on the RE setup because it looks just as beefy as the Currie but uses Moog rod ends that can be purchased at your advance auto store for $30 lol has anyone used the Rubicon Express y-link setup?

I've been running my used Currie steering longer than the previous two Crown HD steering kits combined. Currie may cost more upfront, but how many other "lesser" kits and pieces will you burn through before you paid for Currie?

With regard to the RE steering, the immediate thing I see is that the tie rod ends are straight, rather than bent to accommodate a 4" lift. These bends on the Currie steering are there to re-align the range of motion of the TREs. The RE will droop into bind long before Currie will.