Whining noise coming from front end at 30 MPH and up

That sounds like something i have, but not as clear as mine.
I attached sound file from inside the cabin with doors and roof on, listen if that is what you hear.

What i know for sure (if yours is same as mine) it is not a front dif, not engine rpm related, not drive shaft, and not 4wd or 2wd dependent, changing TC or trans oil makes no difference. It is rpm related only when in transmission gear, and not all gears make that sound (my 5th is quietest)

Around 40 sec and 1 min i was playing with gas pedal, and it is audible how sound fluctuates

Attachments

• понеділок, 14-30.m4a
    525.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
That sounds like something i have, but not as clear as mine.
I attached sound file from inside the cabin with doors and roof on, listen if that is what you hear.

What i know for sure (if yours is same as mine) it is not a front dif, not engine rpm related, not drive shaft, and not 4wd or 2wd dependent, changing TC or trans oil makes no difference. It is rpm related only when in transmission gear, and not all gears make that sound (my 5th is quietest)

Around 40 sec and 1 min i was playing with gas pedal, and it is audible how sound fluctuates
Not a similar sound to what I had... Had.
Mine was an ear piercing whine. Had every dog I passed by giving me an evil stare. And it was not RPM related, rather speed, which had me hunting at the wheels, diff, and t-case.
Checking the pads on both driver/passenger front, nothing obvious, good shape.
Change the diff fluid to no avail.
I did not pull the drive shaft, opted for the easier T-Case fluid change. Some new ATF 4+ and that apeared to solve it (knocking of every piece of wood). Fluid wasn't in bad shape and no obvious problems. No sure if it was a band-aid or the right fix but all quiet for now.

Slowly narrowing things down. I drove mine today about 10 miles and then it started whining again. I drove it back home and jacked up the rearend and hopped in it to reproduce the issue. I removed the front driveshaft before I drove it so this takes that and front axle out of the equation. I think it's definitely louder in 4wd. It sounds like it's right under the gear shifter but I know that is hard to tell from inside. I don't think it's the tranny because it doesn't change with rpm when coasting on the highway. I can even put it in neutral when coasting and the noise is still there. I took a video of it today but was by myself so I couldn't get underneath it. Tomorrow I am going to drive it again to warm it up and then bring it home once it's doing it and pull the rear driveshaft and see if it still does it. I think at that point I will have it narrowed down to the transfer case.

Holly whine, that is ear piercing no joke, my laptop is vibrating while listening to it.
I read before that planetary in TC will start to whine if it is replaced with wrong one from different year, so that makes it as a next, and least complex, possible suspect i would look into.

So I have a 1998 Jeep wrangler Tj (170,000 miles), and I'm running into a issue after I bought it used. When I got back home, started it up and drove down the road the next morning, there was a higher pitched whine coming from what is sounds like the front end at 35-40mph and above. The pitch gets higher when speed is increased. It's definitely prominent. Seems that engine rpms have no effect on it. 4wd doesn't seem to effect it either. There was fluid in the front diff. It has a 4in lift. (Not sure if that helps any) Check for play in wheel hubs, seemed fine. Noise didn't change when braking suddenly, or turning sharply left and right. If there are any questions, please let me know. Any help would be great.

Here's a video of the problem

Reviving an old thread, did you ever figure out the problem, I have something similar going on.

Reviving an old thread, did you ever figure out the problem, I have something similar going on.

I'm having the same issue right now too. Put the jeep on jack stands and confirmed that i don't get it while in 2wd but once i engage 4wd the noise starts at 30 mph. Same as in this video.