White letters in or out on tires? Question about looks

Hey guys!

Just a silly questions about looks! I have a total black TJ. I am about to run Pro Comp 7069 Black rims with 31” BF Goodrich KO2s.

I am currently running the khaki soft top, but I also have a black hard top. Depends on my mood, which one is on. (Photos)

The most important question of my build is… White letters in or out? Hahaha.

Tell me your opinions. The only reason I’m thinking out is because of too much black. What do you think?

View attachment 230388View attachment 230389View attachment 230390
I sell tons of tires and when it's an option with white letters.....
I can tell you a rough but fairly accurate estimate is 75 percent of the customers want white letters on the inside.

So ok my white letter Wranglers say "This side out only" on the white letter side near the load rating! In fact all 3 of my vehicles say it on the sidewall! you cant just put tyres on back to front! no wonder your TJ frames are rusting out, all the sludge, mud, salt/grit is being forced up and under your frame in stead of out and away lol

I normally prefer white letters in. That’s how mine are. There are certain vehicle color/wheel combos where the white out looks fantastic though. Personal preference at the end of the day...

I normally prefer white letters in. That’s how mine are. There are certain vehicle color/wheel combos where the white out looks fantastic though. Personal preference at the end of the day...
Just make sure you read the sidewall info first! bit hard to do if they are already on the wrong way though. :)

Like most preference opinions, it usually comes down to what you're used to. In your mind, it only looks right a certain way.
So, if you're old enough to remember (or driven) an old CJ, they usually had white letters out. That was the style back then.
IMO, white letters out looks good, but will never hold up on the trail, so mine are in (for now).
I'm 25 so I guess I am not old enough! haha

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I had the white letters put in on mine because I prefer the black sidewall. However, it bugs me a bit that the white lettering on the inside of the tire is visible underneath anyway. I may need to get some sort of black pen to color the letters.
I remember years ago there was a product called something like “Tire Black” that could be painted on tires. You might try to do a search for it.
as far as the “in or out” question, I prefer black out & white letters in because if the letters aren’t brilliantly white I will find myself scrubbing them with bleach & a toothbrush & who needs that?! Another reason for “letters in” is if the tire gets scraped on rocks or a curb the black could get scraped off & white will show through the sidewall. I don’t have a pic of this, but I’m sure we’ve all seen it. My TJ came with the letters out & I will live with that.

Be a trend setter, put white letters out and then black them out. Relabel a black Sharpie with some cool logo that says, "White Letter Blackout Pen" and sell the crap out of them for like $9.99 or something. :)

Seriously, though, I've run both ways and currently in a retro mood and have my white letters out, simply because I like it with keeping the old school, original look of my Sahara.

IMG_3410.JPG