Whitney's Back to Stock Build: A Tribute to my first Jeep (04 Wrangler Sport, Light Khaki Metallic)

Sliiiiiiiight change in plans. Dropped everything off to get blasted this morning and the gentleman asked if I was planning to paint after or if I wanted him to handle it. He gave me a ballpark price that I couldn’t refuse. When you have a 10-month-old and a 3-year-old, time is money. Hahah. Probably just saved WEEKS‘ worth of painting and waiting and painting and waiting with the little free time I’d have to get it done. I’ll pick them up next week and they’ll be finished. I am pumped.

Been thinking about removing the X logo for a bit but worried about fading underneath. Has anyone here with a Khaki TJ done this?

Also, would it be sinful to add the “SPORT” logo in its place? I’ve basically added the options of a sport with the exception of the Dana 44. I love the idea of it since that’s what my 04 was, but can’t decide if it’s lame 😂

Yeah so, turns out that price I couldn’t refuse for painting was too good to be true. Hahah. I picked up my bumpers and receiver hitch last week. When I got them home and unwrapped the saran he put them in to prevent scratches, this is what I found:

Looks like the saran had some sort of reaction with the clear. Maybe? No clue. I sent him the videos and I’m going back on Monday for a refund on the painting for these. The receiver hitch looks fine for some reason; I’m thinking he didn’t put clear on it. Anyway, I don’t want to mess around with these anymore and certainly don’t want to waste anymore time waiting for them to get done right. I called three body shops today who are all booking into August and I have zero time to try and get it done myself the right way. So what did I do? I ordered new factory bumper bars. They come painted and they’ll be here by Monday. Going to sell the others on FB marketplace; I’ve got a rear bumper bar that’s been primed and the front/rear that just got painted. I’m sure they’ll sell no problem.

Tomorrow it’s getting a full detail including the engine bay. And on Friday a VERY important package arrives from my buddy @Jamison C: a brand new factory khaki soft top with tinted windows, complete with hardware and door surrounds. On Mother’s Day I went down to the basement and unboxed was was supposed to be a khaki Bestop Supertop NX (same shape as factory soft top) with tinted windows and instead was a khaki Bestop Supertop Classic/Squareback with clear windows. After going into a full on panic, I touched base with my guy at Collins Brothers and got a return label to send it back. My original ‘04 had a khaki soft top with tinted windows and that’s what I wanted. I spent 2.5 hours searching the internet for options, realizing that Bestop doesn’t make khaki anymore and thought I was SOL.

But then I happened upon this soft top listed on Craigslist not knowing that it was listed by a fellow forum member. I was sure it was too good to be true. Factory unused? Khaki with tinted windows? WTF. I sent a text practically begging the seller to consider shipping it to me, explaining what it meant to my build and including a picture of my Jeep. Immediately after, I hopped on here to see if anyone local to Sedona would be willing to help me out in case the seller didn’t want to ship it himself. But then I got a text back. The seller knew my Jeep looked familiar and we instantly realized who one another was. Ha!

Getting this top boxed up and shipped across the country was quite the journey and I couldn’t be more grateful to Jamison for doing it for me. Almost 6 weeks of chatting back and forth, figuring dimensions and custom box making. But, I made a friend along the way and I’ll never forget it. This top is truly the final piece of making this Jeep mine.

So yeah, big stuff in the coming week or so. Bumpers going back on, hitch receiver going back on, fogs and tow hooks getting mounted, new front rubber bumpers going back on, and SOFT TOP BEING INSTALLED! Only have a couple of task items left:

- Install reinforced interior door panels
- Paint and reinstall original fender flares
- Remove wheel well liners and pressure wash behind
- Waxoyl the undercarriage

Will post pics once bumper bars get here. Happy hump day, guys!

Yeah so, turns out that price I couldn’t refuse for painting was too good to be true. Hahah. I picked up my bumpers and receiver hitch last week. When I got them home and unwrapped the saran he put them in to prevent scratches, this is what I found:

Looks like the saran had some sort of reaction with the clear. Maybe? No clue. I sent him the videos and I’m going back on Monday for a refund on the painting for these. The receiver hitch looks fine for some reason; I’m thinking he didn’t put clear on it. Anyway, I don’t want to mess around with these anymore and certainly don’t want to waste anymore time waiting for them to get done right. I called three body shops today who are all booking into August and I have zero time to try and get it done myself the right way. So what did I do? I ordered new factory bumper bars. They come painted and they’ll be here by Monday. Going to sell the others on FB marketplace; I’ve got a rear bumper bar that’s been primed and the front/rear that just got painted. I’m sure they’ll sell no problem.

Tomorrow it’s getting a full detail including the engine bay. And on Friday a VERY important package arrives from my buddy @Jamison C: a brand new factory khaki soft top with tinted windows, complete with hardware and door surrounds. On Mother’s Day I went down to the basement and unboxed was was supposed to be a khaki Bestop Supertop NX (same shape as factory soft top) with tinted windows and instead was a khaki Bestop Supertop Classic/Squareback with clear windows. After going into a full on panic, I touched base with my guy at Collins Brothers and got a return label to send it back. My original ‘04 had a khaki soft top with tinted windows and that’s what I wanted. I spent 2.5 hours searching the internet for options, realizing that Bestop doesn’t make khaki anymore and thought I was SOL.

But then I happened upon this soft top listed on Craigslist not knowing that it was listed by a fellow forum member. I was sure it was too good to be true. Factory unused? Khaki with tinted windows? WTF. I sent a text practically begging the seller to consider shipping it to me, explaining what it meant to my build and including a picture of my Jeep. Immediately after, I hopped on here to see if anyone local to Sedona would be willing to help me out in case the seller didn’t want to ship it himself. But then I got a text back. The seller knew my Jeep looked familiar and we instantly realized who one another was. Ha!

Getting this top boxed up and shipped across the country was quite the journey and I couldn’t be more grateful to Jamison for doing it for me. Almost 6 weeks of chatting back and forth, figuring dimensions and custom box making. But, I made a friend along the way and I’ll never forget it. This top is truly the final piece of making this Jeep mine.

So yeah, big stuff in the coming week or so. Bumpers going back on, hitch receiver going back on, fogs and tow hooks getting mounted, new front rubber bumpers going back on, and SOFT TOP BEING INSTALLED! Only have a couple of task items left:

- Install reinforced interior door panels
- Paint and reinstall original fender flares
- Remove wheel well liners and pressure wash behind
- Waxoyl the undercarriage

Will post pics once bumper bars get here. Happy hump day, guys!

What did that guy do, wrap them while the clear was still curing?? I waited like 48 hours before I even handled mine when I painted them.

Let me know when the top comes in! Hoping YRC hasn't flattened it like Hiroshima or Nagasaki :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: wborisenok
Front end: ✅

Got the new front bumper installed and FINALLY put it all together. The fogs that were so kindly given to me by @txbemis69, the OEM wiring harness and new bumper frame cover, tow hooks, and bumperettes that I grabbed on eBay. It’s all been sitting in my garage for months and the satisfaction I got putting it together was beyond. Rear bumper and hitch receiver are getting reinstalled on Monday. Also on Monday the hard top is coming off and I’m installing my BRAND SPANKIN’ NEW factory dark khaki soft top. We leave for Maine for a week on Saturday and I intend on bringing it with me. My daughter has been begging to take the Jeep anytime we go somewhere!

IMG_3419.jpeg

Bonus content: Logan and Tatum “helping” my dad with his Jeep. 🤣

IMG_3448.jpeg

IMG_3450.jpeg

Got the new front bumper installed and FINALLY put it all together. The fogs that were so kindly given to me by @txbemis69, the OEM wiring harness and new bumper frame cover, tow hooks, and bumperettes that I grabbed on eBay. It’s all been sitting in my garage for months and the satisfaction I got putting it together was beyond. Rear bumper and hitch receiver are getting reinstalled on Monday. Also on Monday the hard top is coming off and I’m installing my BRAND SPANKIN’ NEW factory dark khaki soft top. We leave for Maine for a week on Saturday and I intend on bringing it with me. My daughter has been begging to take the Jeep anytime we go somewhere!

View attachment 439457

View attachment 439461

View attachment 439462

Great view from the garage - and the CJ's not bad either...

View attachment 439457

looks like your jeep is coming together. good job

View attachment 439457

View attachment 439461

View attachment 439462

your jeep is coming together nicely. good job!

It’s a beautiful day to pull the hard top! 😂 Hardtop Hotel arrived right on time and had it off in 5 minutes. Went this route instead of installing the hoist because were actively trying to move and I didn’t feel line installing the it in this garage would be worthwhile. So, it’s going into storage for a few months and I’ll figure out as we navigate the real estate market. It was also nice that I didn’t have to wrangle my FIL + BIL to help me.

IMG_3953.jpeg

IMG_3954.jpeg

IMG_3955.jpeg

Rain stopped just in time for these guys not to get soaking wet. Once they got the bolts off, it took a little elbow grease to break the seal since this thing’s been on for almost 20 years. Also, how did I not invent this service 20 years ago??? Dammit. It’s really a killer idea and they do great here. Been around for 5 or 6 years. Anyway, gotta wipe down the roll bar/sound bar and try to remove a few scuffs along the tub rail. Hoping to get the rear bumper/hitch receiver and soft top on tonight. Pardon the absolute shitstorm in my garage, I’ll get to it eventually. 😂

View attachment 440108

It’s a beautiful day to pull the hard top! 😂 Hardtop Hotel arrived right on time and had it off in 5 minutes. Went this route instead of installing the hoist because were actively trying to move and I didn’t feel line installing the it in this garage would be worthwhile. So, it’s going into storage for a few months and I’ll figure out as we navigate the real estate market. It was also nice that I didn’t have to wrangle my FIL + BIL to help me.

View attachment 440109

View attachment 440110

View attachment 440111

Rain stopped just in time for these guys not to get soaking wet. Once they got the bolts off, it took a little elbow grease to break the seal since this thing’s been on for almost 20 years. Also, how did I not invent this service 20 years ago??? Dammit. It’s really a killer idea and they do great here. Been around for 5 or 6 years. Anyway, gotta wipe down the roll bar/sound bar and try to remove a few scuffs along the tub rail. Hoping to get the rear bumper/hitch receiver and soft top on tonight. Pardon the absolute shitstorm in my garage, I’ll get to it eventually. 😂

Interesting business - first I’ve heard a service like that. Did they take the hard top off of the red jeep as well?

🙂

Interesting business - first I’ve heard a service like that. Did they take the hard top off of the red jeep as well?

🙂

Pretty sure they’re local here to Massachusetts and if I lived in another state with seasons I’d probably be trying to start my own! And nope, no hard top for my ‘86. :)

View attachment 440108

View attachment 440109

View attachment 440110

View attachment 440111

Thank you for posting this information, they even come out my way. I'm going to check them out it's stressful each year taking it off, worse when you break the rear window. :cautious:

Thank you for posting this information, they even come out my way. I'm going to check them out it's stressful each year taking it off, worse when you break the rear window. :cautious:

Happy to help! I think I might be able to send you a referral if you want. I bet you save a little money! I think I get a hat or something. 😂 Shoot me a PM with your email if you’re interested!

Reactions: DB04RedJeep