Who Locks Their Doors?

I grew up in Baltimore and have always locked my vehicles in the yard or on the street. Been in NC for 47 years and still lock my doors in town but don’t bother locking them at the house as all I have is fields, woods and a country airstrip as immediate neighbors. I did invest in one of the under the seat lock boxes for when I can’t cc and have to leave my edc in the truck.

Reactions: Ericict
I lock mine out of habit just due to dumbass kids in my neighbourhood. I don't think they would have the guts to steal anything, but we've had our house egged before and such. More worried about them jumping in it and doing something stupid then trying to steal it or something inside. Locked doors are probably enough of a deterrent that they'd walk away.
X2.

Plus locking the doors is just a habit. If the top is down, though, the doors are unlocked.

Hard top with doors I'll lock it. With the soft top its always unlocked.

I used to lock the glovebox with the garage door opener in it with doors off. I know it only takes another second to get in there but at least the opener was not on display. Got to be too much of a pain to do that so I installed a built in garage door opener.

Reactions: Ericict
I lock the doors simply because they cost so much to replace. An entire replace-a-top is cheaper than a pair of good used doors.
Do people actually steal doors? Full, half or doesn't matter.

That's just sounds crazy to me. I am sure I would have snap a pic and call 911 if I saw a person throwing a set of doors into a car and leaving. WOW, floored.

I lock my full doors but only when I'm driving. The last thing I need is some crazy person opening the door and joining me on my ride home. Yes, I work in an area where that CAN happen. I suppose that's part of the reason the Jeep sits in the garage, waiting for the weekend :)

I normally keep my hardtop on so the jeep is always locked.
figure if they are going to steal something, don't make it too easy.

I have a soft top that has the rear & side windows off in the summer. I'm careful to park in open easily observed areas and do not live in a high crime zone. At night the Jeep sits in the drive unlocked but my property is strategically located with a Chief Of Police as my one neighbor and assorted active duty and military personnel all around. Suffice it to say our neighborhood is well manned, easily defended and would be thieves or bad guys will not be read any Miranda Rights.

I used to own an Isuzu Amigo soft-top in 1993. I was living in Delray Beach, Florida at the time. It was a holiday and my wife asked me to move the vehicles out of the driveway. I would keep the Amigo doors unlocked not wanting them to cut my top. I never kept anything too valuable that was not anchored down. What could they possibly take? When I went out to move the Amigo: my front seats were gone, stereo gone, amp that was mounted under the seat gone and my passenger tail-light all stolen...it was only a 2-seater. I remember sitting on a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket to move the vehicle. The best thing: the criminals did a clean job, nice cuts, no scratches and didn't even scratch the other vehicle in the driveway.

Today: I live in North Carolina and keep my Jeep TJ parked in the garage.

• Wow
Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I leave my TJ with half doors unlocked..the YJ's half doors don't even have locks on them
iXdrV5x.jpg

All a thief has to do is unzip one of the various panels on my 06 Wrangler to get in. However, I'd like to find a way to keep the zippers from being unzipped, just to keep out the usually honest people who wouldn't try hard to break in.

All a thief has to do is unzip one of the various panels on my 06 Wrangler to get in. However, I'd like to find a way to keep the zippers from being unzipped, just to keep out the usually honest people who wouldn't try hard to break in.
I would rather put a sign on the jeep stating that the windows unzip. If a thief wants in I would prefer they unzip the windows vs cutting them.

I would rather put a sign on the jeep stating that the windows unzip. If a thief wants in I would prefer they unzip the windows vs cutting them.

Most of these crimes happen very quickly, often times with smash and grabs, the guys that are serial offenders, they're in and out in 30 seconds and trying to grab things like backpacks, luggage, etc, so unfortunately even then there's a good chance the windows are getting cut as they're going for speed.

I live in a city with a lot of property crime and knock on wood have not had it happen to me yet. I never leave anything you could see, and nothing of value.

Reactions: Alex01
Most of these crimes happen very quickly, often times with smash and grabs, the guys that are serial offenders, they're in and out in 30 seconds and trying to grab things like backpacks, luggage, etc, so unfortunately even then there's a good chance the windows are getting cut as they're going for speed.

I live in a city with a lot of property crime and knock on wood have not had it happen to me yet. I never leave anything you could see, and nothing of value.
Unfortunately my brother found out the hard way not to keep stuff visible in his car. Even 10 years later when he has to pack his car for a video shoot he parks it in his garage and locks the doors.

Do people actually steal doors? Full, half or doesn't matter.

That's just sounds crazy to me. I am sure I would have snap a pic and call 911 if I saw a person throwing a set of doors into a car and leaving. WOW, floored.
I've heard of thieves stealing pickup tailgates just to resell, so I'm pretty sure they would steal a pair of Jeep doors.

Reactions: tomtaylz