Who wants to do the Alcan 5000 in Summer 2022?

Ask and you shall receive.

20220823_203939.jpg

20220823_203923.jpg

20220823_203901.jpg

Alcan update: Yesterday was an absolute blitzkrieg we managed to thrive in. Getting to the second TSD (time/speed/distance rally), there was almost 80 miles of back roads. Almost halfway in as navigator, I realized that in order to be able to get gas and make the next TSD that we had to pass other rally vehicles. Mr. Tox and I BOOKED it. Some guys from Virginia were shocked that they we caught up to them in their Raptor. We ultimately passed them too. We didn't have the acceleration speeds the Ford Raptors did, but we had Mr. Tox. We made the starting line a minute before our start, reset the competitor Richta app, reset our odometer, whipped out the stopwatch, and had an unprecedented amazing run. Sadly, the TSD got thrown because the majority of people didn't make it in time. We're already wondering today if our TSD is going to be thrown out too. The Richta app/scoring system was awfully off and messed with everyone's run times. The Alcan so far is an all-consuming, exhilarating event. Your days are measured in bottled waters, gas stops, rallies, and constant breathtaking beauty. We're currently having chocolate milkshakes in a cafe that used to be a Hudson bay trading post. This cafe is at the end of our extreme control today. If you didn't take a photo as proof that you made it to the Sitkine inn, you will receive a penalty.

Alcan update: Yesterday was an absolute blitzkrieg we managed to thrive in. Getting to the second TSD (time/speed/distance rally), there was almost 80 miles of back roads. Almost halfway in as navigator, I realized that in order to be able to get gas and make the next TSD that we had to pass other rally vehicles. Mr. Tox and I BOOKED it. Some guys from Virginia were shocked that they we caught up to them in their Raptor. We ultimately passed them too. We didn't have the acceleration speeds the Ford Raptors did, but we had Mr. Tox. We made the starting line a minute before our start, reset the competitor Richta app, reset our odometer, whipped out the stopwatch, and had an unprecedented amazing run. Sadly, the TSD got thrown because the majority of people didn't make it in time. We're already wondering today if our TSD is going to be thrown out too. The Richta app/scoring system was awfully off and messed with everyone's run times. The Alcan so far is an all-consuming, exhilarating event. Your days are measured in bottled waters, gas stops, rallies, and constant breathtaking beauty. We're currently having chocolate milkshakes in a cafe that used to be a Hudson bay trading post. This cafe is at the end of our extreme control today. If you didn't take a photo as proof that you made it to the Sitkine inn, you will receive a penalty.

Almost everyone expressed disappointment in the scoring of this TSD "Mitten Service Rd" and it was officially thrown as of this afternoon.

This morning's TSD was all residential streets which isn't the Jeep's strength, but we managed to throw it around the corners and score below 1 second at most of the checkpoints which is an excellent score.

Tomorrow's afternoon TSD is already mostly canceled because the majority including top competitors Lee Sorenson and Satish Gopalkrishnan decided to go visit Skagway instead. If nobody runs it, my understanding is that everyone will receive the maximum 300 points.

Reactions: J.Pierce
Day #5 Alcan update: This is the first year that the Alcan has utilized the Richta competitor app for scoring checkpoints and it's been unreliable. So far, we're on day #5, and only 4 TSD's have counted. Veterans of the Alcan are very upset and as first-timers, it's been a hard introduction. It's hard to learn when you can't trust Richta to time you accurately at checkpoints. At the "mitten service road" TSD, at our first checkpoint, Richta told us we were 60 seconds late (the worst/maximum score you can get at a checkpoint) and instead of using my common sense (we're all inclined to trust the app), I told Mr Tox to floor it. He made up 15 seconds before the next checkpoint until I put together that Richta was wrong. No joke, I had to as navigator add 26 seconds, then 16, then 6, then add 1:30 to every. single. checkpoint to correct Richta during the TSD. While the TSD ultimately got thrown, I was the proudest of our score on that one. We were within 2-3 seconds everytime after the first two checkpoints. Today and the next few days, we're driving over 600 miles each day and we still have to do the math for our routes. It's been very high adrenaline with long transit times between TSD's. This morning's TSD for us, "Midnight Dome" went pretty well. It was a tricky one that forced you to pause for ten minutes during the rally, and we started in residential streets. These are not closed courses, so traffic and wildlife can impact you and you have to drive accordingly. If you end up behind a slow car or braking for a bear, you have to make up that time by your next checkpoint. For today, "Dawson teams reaching Skagway will receive a Fish Lake score equal to the best respective auto or cycle score on Fish Lake TSD". We're going to Skagway which means we automatically get whichever auto runs the best TSD during the Fish Lake TSD this afternoon. But the hilarious thing is that I think we're all blowing off the TSD and going to Skagway except for one vehicle that's not been scoring well because they don't want to drive as far today. Doing the Fish Lake TSD spares you having to drive an additional 300 miles today into Alaska and coming back through Canadian customs. Looking forward to spending a few hours in the coastal town of Skagway today. :)

IMG_20220827_104342.jpg

IMG_20220827_104335.jpg