Why do you drive a TJ?

Irun

A vicious cycle of doing, undoing, and re-doing!
Supporting Member
For me, having owned FJ40 and FJ60 Land Cruisers, 1st generation Broncos and Blazers, XJs, and CJs, the TJ/LJ platform is hands down my favorite. With the prices of good condition TJs and LJs going through the roof, I'm curious what draws others to this platform?

For me, as this is my 15th Jeep, the TJ/LJ is the best balance of capability and comfort, heritage and updates, size and utility. CJs will always have Place in my heart, and modern Jeeps are more well rounded, with comfort and technology that makes them great family vehicles. But the TJ platform just hits the mark for me.

I started with a 2012 JKU Sport. Put a ton of money into it, front axle swap to Dana 44. It was on 35's, but ready to do 37's and gears. It was fine for moderate trails. I started getting into harder trails, did a few of the easier Johnson Valley trails. Decided I didn't like the JKU wheel base. Traded it for my LJ. Again, put a ton of money into it.

I was drawn to the LJ for the wheelbase. Plus, the JKU had to be my DD. The LJ is just for wheeling.

JKU.jpg

PumpkinEater.jpg

So I can give my XJ & MJ a rest. :giggle:

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I LOVE driving, TV-ing, camping and just doing every day things with my TJ & LJ!`They're my all year every day vehicles.

Last edited:
I believe at first it was the fact that the top came off and the doors and I could put the boys in back and goto football or baseball practices. Then as time grew on and several jeeps later they just have always had a cool vibe and look to them. They are small but have great capability off road...and I also think all the cool people when I was in school had a jeep, of course CJs.. but they were still jeeps😉

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick Flair and Irun
I have been selling Chrysler products for 22 years, at the same dealership I might add. I sold TJ's brand new and always wanted one. Between kids, dogs and a mortgage it never happened. We have always had a Grand Cherokee or a Cherokee in the Garage. Kids are gone, still dogs and the House is paid for. I manage the Dealership now so the boost in Income finally allowed for us to make our move. Its almost new and I paid an almost new price for it so I am hoping we can enjoy it for the next 30 years. The happy it makes me feel behind the wheel is the best feeling no other car has brought, and I have driven a lot of cars over the years.

It's next to impossible to drive one, especially with the top off, and not have a goofy grin on your face.

Always wanted one, finally saved up enough a few years ago to buy one, and haven't regretted it yet. More than I can say for most of my car purchases.

My dad bought a CJ5 when I was 8ish years old and did some mild off road. I had friends with Jeeps off and on and we had tons of fun on and off road. My money was always tied up in motorcycles with 9 being the most at one time, 4 GSXRs, 2 YSRs, CR250, KDX200 and 2 wheel drive Rokon. I sold them off over a few years and had to decided on an old street car or Jeep. I have had a ton of fun in my Mustang, but have always wanted a Jeep. I finally got my Jeep 44 years after my first ride in my dad's CJ5.

Reactions: 02SteelBlue
We wanted to move to a taller (better to see and be seen) convertible that was off-road capable (moving from a Miata). Mine was the first available that checked all the boxes once I decided to search for a Wrangler/CJ. This TJ was in stock trim, full metal doors, soft top and automatic (wife's criteria) plus it is low mileage. We quickly found out that we really like the platform and as I research I am finding out that I like the simplicity that allows me to work on it plus safety features like SRS. I think that the TJ is a good balance between old and new as @en480c4 stated.

I rode in my first Jeep at 14 a CJ5 my first was a CJ 2A and have owned several CJ's over the years. This is my 3rd TJ. I reckon the TJ is the best of the old and the new.

I had just gotten to my first permanent base in 2002 and a buddy was in to Jeeps and took me wheeling in his YJ. I love convertibles and tinkering so I started browsing. YJ's are pretty antiquated and those headlights are fugly. My reasons for liking it over the years have evolved. There was a time when a hopped up stroker in a TJ was respectably spunky (not anymore) and I liked wrenching on the motor. Now I'm really looking forward to spending quality time wheeling with my kids & wife. I will never sell it and it fills a doors off/top off niche for me. I'll surely get something fast to fill that need at some point again too.