Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

Well not knowing how much I'm adding this amount. The one thing that has become very evident to me is that I need new snap ring pliers.

View attachment 413275

Then add some to the ball.

View attachment 413276

Then do the other side.

View attachment 413277

And I get about this much out on reassembly.

View attachment 413278

So far I've only lost one snap ring. Flew across the garage and found it in the bottom tray of my service toolbox.

I just did JJs on a full set of new Savvy arms & Currie TBs & TB mounts on axle before they all go on the Jeep. Mine were about as dry as yours and I did about the same level of grease as you. Whatever isn't needed in the joint will be outside to wipe off... Better more to wipe away than not enough.

Your build is coming along! (y) Turned a huge corner getting out of the engine bay and onto other areas on the Jeep.

Well not knowing how much I'm adding this amount. The one thing that has become very evident to me is that I need new snap ring pliers.

View attachment 413275

Then add some to the ball.

View attachment 413276

Then do the other side.

View attachment 413277

And I get about this much out on reassembly.

View attachment 413278

So far I've only lost one snap ring. Flew across the garage and found it in the bottom tray of my service toolbox.

Do yourself a favor and pull the zerk. Then make sure to line up on of the notches in the urethane race to line up with the zerk hole.

Do yourself a favor and pull the zerk. Then make sure to line up on of the notches in the urethane race to line up with the zerk hole.

NOW you tell me. 😒
If you pull the jerk aren't you going to get even more grease back out?

20230404_165931.jpg

That one just must have been lined up?

6 joints greased and done. I'll do the other 4 when I get done with the front axle.

20230404_175001.jpg

What's everyone's choice for some good snap ring pliers? I'd rather get some before I do the next set.

I just did JJs on a full set of new Savvy arms & Currie TBs & TB mounts on axle before they all go on the Jeep. Mine were about as dry as yours and I did about the same level of grease as you. Whatever isn't needed in the joint will be outside to wipe off... Better more to wipe away than not enough.

Your build is coming along! (y) Turned a huge corner getting out of the engine bay and onto other areas on the Jeep.

Yes. That engine took a lot longer than I'd expected.
And thanks.

Reactions: reddvltj
NOW you tell me. 😒

View attachment 413305

6 joints greased and done. I'll do the other 4 when I get done with the front axle.

View attachment 413306

What's everyone's choice for some good snap ring pliers? I'd rather get some before I do the next set.

Best heavy set that I know of.

DAD0BA69-F7AE-49A8-818B-BD4081F39406.jpeg

I’ve done 5 1/2” snap rings with them no problem.

Reactions: Wildman
NOW you tell me. 😒

View attachment 413305

View attachment 413306

My JJ's zerks also pushed out grease about 50% of the time on initial grease. Based on community posts from many knowledgeable sources, including @mrblaine, I don't think getting the zerk is getting grease in the joint. The zerk is there to counter crappy counterfeit products that 'said' you need a zerk... Currie made the joint tool, from my opinion, to do the job right.

My JJ's zerks also pushed out grease about 50% of the time on initial grease. Based on community posts from many knowledgeable sources, including @mrblaine, I don't think getting the zerk is getting grease in the joint. The zerk is there to counter crappy counterfeit products that 'said' you need a zerk... Currie made the joint tool, from my opinion, to do the job right.

I'll most likely just replace them all with plugs. I did have a few that took grease after I reassembled them but how well it spread around the joint is anyone's guess. I've seen his comments on this and it was to appease those who wanted the zerk.

I'll most likely just replace them all with plugs. I did have a few that took grease after I reassembled them but how well it spread around the joint is anyone's guess. I've seen his comments on this and it was to appease those who wanted the zerk.

I've thought the same on plugs...

Going to have to go back and look at my exhaust. I'd been thinking about it before this but now I've got to. I'm going to look and see if I can find a shorter cat or muffler. I don't remember seeing any shorter mufflers but there might be.

20230405_154551.jpg

20230405_154556.jpg

I could possibly shorten this area some but the post O2 sensor is in this section of pipe too.

20230405_154744.jpg

20230405_154750.jpg

Not a lot of room back there no matter how you look at it.

20230405_154759.jpg

If I remember this muffler was 20" long. I don't know if a square style muffler is shorter or not. I need to lose 3"-4" if I can.

20230405_154838.jpg

The one way I can move things forward is to lose the short tube headers and go back to the block hugger headers which would put the Y-pipe section further forward. I'll look at it more tomorrow.

Got the arms installed and will get it centered tomorrow also.

20230405_154646.jpg

But damn it does look good. Might even throw the rear driveshaft onto it to check that out and make sure my measurements were correct.

20230405_155329.jpg

Last edited: