Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

All dry and looking great. Just need to move the jack stands and paint that area and it'll be done.

20230416_102744.jpg

20230416_102759.jpg

I think the hardest part of using the Steel It paint is having to wait the 6-24 hours after applying the first coat to apply the second coat. So I'll go back out to the garage around 9 PM and spray the second coat of paint that way it'll be dray to tomorrow morning so I can then get things reinstalled and put the axle back under the Jeep.

I realized today as I was working on the Cadillac calipers that I'd forgotten to apply anti-seize to the rear control arms after I'd greased all the jj's so I'll have to pull them back off and apply some. And I'll hopefully remember to do the fronts before I install them.

Are you anti-seizing just the threads or the length of the bolt? After removing my latest control arms (aftermarket non-JJ) where the bolt rusted to the arm sleeve, I am planning to put a coat of anti-seize on the shaft and the threads just as piece of mind in the US snow region (rust belt).

Reactions: reddvltj
Are you anti-seizing just the threads or the length of the bolt? After removing my latest control arms (aftermarket non-JJ) where the bolt rusted to the arm sleeve, I am planning to put a coat of anti-seize on the shaft and the threads just as piece of mind in the US snow region (rust belt).

I'm putting anti-sieze on the shaft of the jj's. Steel and aluminum don't mix well.
The aluminum links I got from Wide Open Design tell you to use anti-sieze or it voids the warranty.
Everything I'm putting together that doesn't need loctite is getting anti-sieze.

Edit: I've had heims seize in my trackbar before too which is part of the reason why I'm using anti-seize on everything. Don't want to have to deal with that stuff again. Even the body mount bolts will get coated so they don't seize up.

Last edited:
I'm putting anti-sieze on the shaft of the jj's. Steel and aluminum don't mix well.
The aluminum links I got from Wide Open Design tell you to use anti-sieze or it voids the warranty.
Everything I'm putting together that doesn't need loctite is getting anti-sieze.

Double posting Rick....

• Haha
Reactions: Wildman

Edit: I've had heims seize in my trackbar before too which is part of the reason why I'm using anti-seize on everything. Don't want to have to deal with that stuff again. Even the body mount bolts will get coated so they don't seize up.

Agree on the JJ's threaded shafts needing anti-seize going into aluminum control arms. I had the joy of that messy job recently with my new arms.

I misread your post and thought you were talking about the bolts through the JJ ball that mounts it to the frame/axle. I recently removed mine that had seized the bolt in the sleeve in the rubber joint (equivalent to the JJ ball). Given I'm in the rust belt, I anti-seize pretty much anything near the undercarriage. I plan to anti-seize my thru-ball bolts on both the threads but also on the shafts that goes through the ball so that they don't seize together in the future. I'm not sure if this is a regular issue but I've been burned recently...

Was originally wondering your anti-seize approach on the bolts.

Reactions: reddvltj
Agree on the JJ's threaded shafts needing anti-seize going into aluminum control arms. I had the joy of that messy job recently with my new arms.

I misread your post and thought you were talking about the bolts through the JJ ball that mounts it to the frame/axle. I recently removed mine that had seized the bolt in the sleeve in the rubber joint (equivalent to the JJ ball). Given I'm in the rust belt, I anti-seize pretty much anything near the undercarriage. I plan to anti-seize my thru-ball bolts on both the threads but also on the shafts that goes through the ball so that they don't seize together in the future. I'm not sure if this is a regular issue but I've been burned recently...

Was originally wondering your anti-seize approach on the bolts.

I've had bolts seize up on shocks & control arms both. And cutting them off to get the item off SUCKS.

I'd put anti-seize on the shoulder of the bolt and spin it as you insert it to help spread it around.

I've had bolts seize up on shocks & control arms both. And cutting them off to get the item off SUCKS.

I'd put anti-seize on the shoulder of the bolt and spin it as you insert it to help spread it around.

Agree on all account. Usually use an approach to put a light-medium coat over the shoulder ("shaft" - thanks for the bolt term education).

I'm over in the NE. Do you handle the salt/rust concern similarly in the PNW?

Agree on all account. Usually use an approach to put a light-medium coat over the shoulder ("shaft" - thanks for the bolt term education).

I'm over in the NE. Do you handle the salt/rust concern similarly in the PNW?

They don't use salt here on the roads. They have some deicer shit they use instead that will ruin the finish on aluminum rims if you don't wash your rig every week. Other than that we don't really have a huge rust problem. But since I live where it snows you do need to keep up on things. Plus I like to snow wheel and I'm not a pussy like many who don't play in the mud. I'll get mine buried in the mud if needed and just deal with it when I get home.

They don't use salt here on the roads. They have some deicer shit they use instead that will ruin the finish on aluminum rims if you don't wash your rig every week. Other than that we don't really have a huge rust problem. But since I live where it snows you do need to keep up on things. Plus I like to snow wheel and I'm not a pussy like many who don't play in the mud. I'll get mine buried in the mud if needed and just deal with it when I get home.

Mud and snow are fun. Preferably in that order so the snow cleans off the mud 😎

Mud and snow are fun. Preferably in that order so the snow cleans off the mud 😎

Come spring it's a hit & miss up here. And after winters like this one we'll have snow in some places up until July and maybe even Aug. And where there is snow there is mud but you'll normally have to go thru the mud to get to the snow & go thru it again to leave the snow.

Wow having the proper tools for the job sure makes life easier..

Did the 4 front jj's and what took me hours last time I did it in 1.5 hours.

20230417_122359.jpg

Thanks to everyone who recommended these snap ring pliers.

Remembered to anti-seize the shafts on the jj's too.

20230417_124854.jpg

I know the jj tool from Currie ain't cheap either but it's worth it IMO.

20230417_133642.jpg

Last edited: