Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

I've got two of these damn things in my garage some place and I'll be damned if I can find them.

51Xvp3ErXLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Can't find either one of them. Will think about it tonight and hopefully I'll remember where one is.

That's gonna be nice. Seems like you'd have a hard time finding space for anything else underneath...

It was the choice of putting a fuel cell in the tub and then I could mount a air tank where the fuel tank went or get the GR tank & put the air tank in the tub.
Not a lot of room as you said. The only possible spot would be where the step in the tub is. But I don't know that there is air tank small enough to fit in that area.
Inside the tub is fine.

It was the choice of putting a fuel cell in the tub and then I could mount a air tank where the fuel tank went or get the GR tank & put the air tank in the tub.
Not a lot of room as you said. The only possible spot would be where the step in the tub is. But I don't know that there is air tank small enough to fit in that area.
Inside the tub is fine.

Don't some people seal their bumpers somehow and use them as a tank? No clue if that is realistic lol

Don't some people seal their bumpers somehow and use them as a tank? No clue if that is realistic lol

I've heard of that as well. Wouldn't you need a drain valve though on the bottom to release any moisture to avoid it rusting from the inside out?

I've seen it done with round tube & square tube bumpers before. Even knew someone who welded all the holes in his frame closed and used it. Same thing with the rollcage. But my bumpers are flat to fit around the crossmembers so that wouldn't work.

I've heard of that as well. Wouldn't you need a drain valve though on the bottom to release any moisture to avoid it rusting from the inside out?

Yep, I've seen then put a plug in that can be pulled to drain the tank.

I might have to figure out a hose coming off the drain if I put it in the tube so I can drain the moisture out without getting water all over the tub.

How much air do you need? Just enough to hold pressure for the lockers/bags? I'm assuming you don't need a huge volume to maintain pressures. If so, you could buy a paintball tank. They're quite small and you could mount it just about anywhere. I can't imagine It'd be too diffuse to find Adapters.

I've seen it done with round tube & square tube bumpers before. Even knew someone who welded all the holes in his frame closed and used it. Same thing with the rollcage. But my bumpers are flat to fit around the crossmembers so that wouldn't work.

Yep, I've seen then put a plug in that can be pulled to drain the tank.

I might have to figure out a hose coming off the drain if I put it in the tube so I can drain the moisture out without getting water all over the tub.

Thats old school using the bumpers and cages for air storage. The drain reminds me of the air tanks in big trucks. May look into that to fit your needs.

Reactions: Wildman
How much air do you need? Just enough to hold pressure for the lockers/bags? I'm assuming you don't need a huge volume to maintain pressures. If so, you could buy a paintball tank. They're quite small and you could mount it just about anywhere. I can't imagine I'd be too diffuse to find Adapters.

I need a minimum of 1 gallon according to ORO. So yes it doesn't have to be that big. I'll look and see what I can find in the 1 gallon size.

Thats old school using the bumpers and cages for air storage. The drain reminds me of the air tanks in big trucks. May look into that to fit your needs.

Yes, it is. But I'm OLD too and have been around Jeeps for a LOT longer than TJ's have been around.

I had a drain on a cable like a big rig before setup on TJ before. I'd routed the cable up over the frame so it wouldn't get hung up in stuff. But I could still pull the cable to drain the tank. Worked pretty good for a while.

Lots of airbag systems using a 2.5 gallon Viair tank. About $80 on Amazon.

Been looking at all the tanks on Amazon. But I want to get other stuff finished first so I know how much room I'll have and where I'm going to place it before I just buy one.
I did that with the electronic parking brake and we all know how that worked out.