Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

VCM Scanner running but still haven't gotten the Tach figured out. Tried a few things after watching a few videos but still no JOY....

Just another video of the engine running. I'm still working things out but fingers CROSSED I'll have things figured out soon.

As I said I need to move my IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor out of the intake manifold and move it into the air cleaner housing.

20230616_195552.jpg

Started off thinking that there was a problem with my OBD2 port because when I'd first plugged in my DTC scanner and had hit "Live Date" the RPM's weren't working. But unplugged it and plugged it back in and the RPM's were now working.

So I plugged my laptop back in and opened up the VCM scanner I still got the same reading on RPM's with it. Just reads 768 RPM's but doesn't change or move. It reads all the other readings that I have entered to take readings from.
I'll try watching some more YT videos about the HPTuner and using the VCM scanner software. Hopefully I'll find something that will give me a clue as to what I'm doing wrong.

No sleep for me tonight.

Joined a couple FB groups for troubleshooting the HPTuner software so I'll see what pops up over the next few days. Hopefully someone else will of had a similar experience and can offer some help.

Were you able to map the wide band output so it records with the other scanner data?

One thing I can’t argue with is just how capable the new Jeeps are. A JL is insanely more capable and easier to modify than previous Jeeps are.

Everything else though, the size, the “feel”, reliability, electronics, etc leaves much to be desired.

I had a fuel line issue which took my TJ out after 3 crazy days in Moab last week. Part is not easily sourced so I rented a JLUR on 37s. The hardest trail I took it on was Top of the World.
FullSizeRender.jpeg

It was interesting wheeling it back-to-back with my TJ on 33s. With that 118” wheel base, larger tires and automatic, I felt like I was driving through the suburbs with the kids on the way to a soccer game. @gasiorv dubbed it ”the minivan”😀. I like my TJ more and am not surprised to hear folks have had trouble with added electronic complexity in the newer rigs, but I couldn’t deny the JL was quite capable.

Were you able to map the wide band output so it records with the other scanner data?

Yes I was. Ryan ended up having to send me a new MPVI2+ & it was a Pro version so it came with the adapter so you can wire in 2 analog and one Canbus item.
If you watch the video it's the second line graphed in Green. It's running a little lean in the video also at about 14.5-15.8.

I'm not familiar with tuning them other than just some cursory stuff. I'll go back and read a few pages then see what you're are trying to do.

Sorry, forgot to include that in my post. I can't get the RPM's to work in the VCM scanner software. I've verified that the OBD2 port is getting power/signal and my DTC scanner has live data and the RPM's work on it.

DTC scanner

Reactions: reddvltj
Sounds like the software is looking in the wrong place for the tach signal then. That or it's getting input it doesn't like. What vehicle are you telling it is looking at and what PCM are you using?

It's looking at a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.2 & I'm using the Dodge PCM. I have a Dodge 5.9 stroked to a 6.7 but waiting on a tune from FRP. I've tried all the things mentioned in videos about how to setup the gauges and PID's I think they are called? It's option for RPM's is Angular Frequency. I've tried other combinations but still can't get it to work.

Yes, PIDs. Honestly you've tried exactly what I would have done so you probably know more about it than I do now. One thing to try--are you running their standard version software or the beta version? Shouldn't matter for something that basic, but worth trying. Also, see if you can tell it is a slightly different year and see what happens. Like maybe a '99 or '00 I'd gues (CCD--before they went to PCI).

Glad you got the rpm working. Scanner can be a pain. It's a one size fits all program that is bloated to do just that. All the channels on the left are inputs that all the gauges and charts use. If they don't read correctly then nothing else will work right. You should be able to switch between volts and afr in the gauge properties.

Glad you got the rpm working. Scanner can be a pain. It's a one size fits all program that is bloated to do just that. All the channels on the left are inputs that all the gauges and charts use. If they don't read correctly then nothing else will work right. You should be able to switch between volts and afr in the gauge properties.

Rick, I believe there is a transformation that has to be done in HP to translate the voltage signal into AFR. If memory serves, the process was described in the instructions for the AEM guage. I can check if you don’t have those.

I believe there is a transformation that has to be done in HP to translate the voltage signal into AFR. If memory serves, the process was described in the instructions for the AEM guage. I can check if you don’t have those.

There is for the older stuff with analog voltage, but I thought that the can versions had that all integrated. It's been forever since I set mine up and I don't have my laptop at home. I can look more tomorrow.

There is for the older stuff with analog voltage, but I thought that the can versions had that all integrated. It's been forever since I set mine up and I don't have my laptop at home. I can look more tomorrow.

My HP Tuner setup is only about 3 years old, and I think Rick is running the same AEM gauge that I run. May be something different with the Hemi setup though.

Reactions: reddvltj and PNW_LJ
My HP Tuner setup is only about 3 years old, and I think Rick is running the same AEM gauge that I run. May be something different with the Hemi setup though.

I pulled up my HP Tuners VCM Scanner. If you have to do a transform (and assuming you have the same AEM AFR gauge as I do), right click on the AFR channel (assuming you have already added it to the config) and select "Transform." Select the "Air-Fuel Ratio" drop down and click on AEM-4110 and click "OK."

It does all the math automatically.

Thanks.

Rick, I believe there is a transformation that has to be done in HP to translate the voltage signal into AFR. If memory serves, the process was described in the instructions for the AEM guage. I can check if you don’t have those.

Yep, I'd forgotten to do that.

The canbus only works on new rigs from the way I understand it.

I pulled up my HP Tuners VCM Scanner. If you have to do a transform (and assuming you have the same AEM AFR gauge as I do), right click on the AFR channel (assuming you have already added it to the config) and select "Transform." Select the "Air-Fuel Ratio" drop down and click on AEM-4110 and click "OK."

It does all the math automatically.

Yep I'd had it reading correctly but then when I was trying to get the tach to work I must have done something to change the O2 reading. I got it all working the way it's supposed to. And yes I have the same 4110 AEM gauge.

I guess there is a newer version of the O2 gauge that you just plug into the MPVI2+ and BOOM it's all there.

Thanks for all the help.

I had a fuel line issue which took my TJ out after 3 crazy days in Moab last week. Part is not easily sourced so I rented a JLUR on 37s. The hardest trail I took it on was Top of the World.
View attachment 433085
It was interesting wheeling it back-to-back with my TJ on 33s. With that 118” wheel base, larger tires and automatic, I felt like I was driving through the suburbs with the kids on the way to a soccer game. @gasiorv dubbed it ”the minivan”😀. I like my TJ more and am not surprised to hear folks have had trouble with added electronic complexity in the newer rigs, but I couldn’t deny the JL was quite capable.

I had a JKU for a while, it was my ex's rig so I only drove it occasionally and I honestly didn't enjoy it as the seating position was uncomfortable. My son says that the new JK's & the JL's have changed that but I haven't tried one out so can't comment.
Bummer about your fuel line. Hope you had a great time.